Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BAFTA

turn it on and they've turned it into the royal variety performance

Comments

• Why are they filming the ponces in the audience when Cirque de Soleil are doing their stuff on stage?

BBC ffs, good job I've been t see em thrice at the Royal Albert Hall ain't it
  • didn't realise it was Cirque du Soleil

• Well, one of their acts put it that way
  • It's an orgy of self congratulation. That they have to highlight who turned up every year always smacks of desperation.
  • ..then Ken Loach steps up zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • JiMMy 85 said:

It's an orgy of self congratulation. That they have to highlight who turned up every year always smacks of desperation.

Isn't that the whole purpose of the event?

..then Ken Loach steps up zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Famous British film director appears at British film awards event shock.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

It's an orgy of self congratulation. That they have to highlight who turned up every year always smacks of desperation.

Did you actually see it mate?
  • .....then a documentary on 2 of Mark Duggans chums gets nominated and the telly goes off.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Yes, I did. He made a political speech having made a political film about poor working class , and as it happens white, people.

He's Ken Loach, that's what he does.

And Hugh Grant was on too for some balance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Beats me why people complain about something like the BAFTAs. You know what it's going to be. Lots of incredibly talented people being awarded for doing brilliant work to the best of their ability, some of whom take the opportunity to share what they regard as important information.
  • Christ.. I started reading Chozz post and I fell asleep..

It's the baftas
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Yes, I did. He made a political speech having made a political film about poor working class , and as it happens white, people.

He's Ken Loach, that's what he does.

And Hugh Grant was on too for some balance.
    It was more the way he spoke for the rest of the double rich "film makers" in the audience by saying we're all "on the side of poor people", or some thing like that (you'll need to use your Sky Plus again mate, so you can now go back and directly quote it). I'd personally prefer it if they collected their awards, gushed for a little bit about their families and oppos, said their thanks to the Academy, then walked off the stage.....

• edited February 2017

There's very little that grates me more than 'people from the arts' making political speeches at awards.

They're real people too.

Great art is often political. Dickens, Picasso, Paul Weller.
  • There's very little that grates me more than 'people from the arts' making political speeches at awards.

They're real people too.
    Don't you think they've already got a big enough platform without boring everyone at the film awards?
  • edited February 2017

There's very little that grates me more than 'people from the arts' making political speeches at awards.

They're real people too.
    Don't you think they've already got a big enough platform without boring everyone at the film awards?
    Boring you maybe because you don't share his politics but you're not everyone.

It's Ken Loach.

It like saying I don't think Dickens should have written about poverty or social inequality or Picasso shouldn't have painted pictures of Nazi atrocities.

Would the Jam be the same band without Weller's politics?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

At the Oscars you feel like they could cut to any camera and an A-lister will be in shot. At the BAFTAs, there's usually a handful of A-listers in attendance, and they're either the winners, or those on the junket circuit.
  • Fellowship award to Mel Brooks.

Can't wait to hear his acceptance speech.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's very little that grates me more than 'people from the arts' making political speeches at awards.

They're real people too.
    Boring you maybe because you don't share his politics but you're not everyone.

It's Ken Loach.

It like saying I don't think Dickens should have written about poverty or social inequality or Picasso shouldn't have painted pictures of Nazi atrocities.

Would the Jam be the same band without Weller's politics?
    I've always said I don't dig Weller's politics and I'd be saying the same about him standing there letting everyone know just where he was on current affairs

How is moaning about Loach's rambling acceptance speech, like saying Dickens shouldn't have written about the poor?

• Because with Dickens and Loach and maybe to a lesser extent the politics were the art and the art is the politics.

So Loach talks about his politics after winning an award for a political film.

You would have loved Mark Rylance by the way
  • Because with Dickens and Loach and maybe to a lesser extent the politics were the art and the art is the politics.

So Loach talks about his politics after winning an award for a political film.

You would have loved Mark Rylance by the way

But you said moaning about Loach going on about politics in an acceptance speech at a film awards is like saying Dickens shouldn't have written about poverty?
  • edited February 2017
    ....or did you say that by accident
  • Fiiish said:

Regardless of political views, and I agreed with the message of Loach, I dislike that kind of virtue signalling, or using what ought to be a neutral/non-political event as a platform for virtue-signalling.

Never heard of virtue signaling but it soundslike one the those phrases like PC gone mad or SJW that have little meaning other than to dismiss alternative views as hollow or insincere

People expressing a view isn't automatically vanity and especially not with the likes of Ken Loach who whatever anyone thinks of his views are genuinely and long held.
  • edited February 2017
    Got a real leftie on now, Prince William, introducing an award and Simon Pegg talking about how you never hear about the good side of Hitler.

• Fiiish said:

Regardless of political views, and I agreed with the message of Loach, I dislike that kind of virtue signalling, or using what ought to be a neutral/non-political event as a platform for virtue-signalling.

Never heard of virtue signaling but it soundslike one the those phrases like PC gone mad or SJW that have little meaning other than to dismiss alternative views as hollow or insincere

People expressing a view isn't automatically vanity and especially not with the likes of Ken Loach who whatever anyone thinks of his views are genuinely and long held.
    So you've never heard of it but instead of spending 2 minutes googling it and reading about it, you wrongly assume what you think it means then attack the phrase on that basis?

I have no doubt Loach's views are indeed sincere and as I said I agree with the message that the Tories have totally funked the welfare system, it's the manner in which he does it that makes it virtue signalling. There are dozens of ways you can express a view in a sincere and powerful way, he specifically chose the one that would score him the most points amongst similarly minded people. I believe this is counterproductive and only perpetuates tribalism and echo chamber debating.
  • We watched it mainly because my Mrs wanted to see the dresses and she's really into her films etc., not to get Ken Loaches opinions on poor people. Even my Mrs, who's the opposite end of the political spectrum to what I am believe or not, got the hump with it.

And wtf was a documentary about Mark Duggans friends thrown into one of the categories for?
  • Feck me Fiiish.

I remember when you wet yourself as a four year old at a party and now you're posting about tribalism and echo chamber debating.

I feel so old.