Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone know anything about studying in Groningen, the Netherlands?

Apart from the obvious comments about the 'laid-back' lifestyle in the Netherlands, anyone know anything about studying in the EU? Groningen in particular? On the face of it, it seems too good to be true - top 100 Uni ranked between Bristol and Warwick with tuition fees much less than the UK

Comments

• Apart from the obvious comments about the 'laid-back' lifestyle in the Netherlands, anyone know anything about studying in the EU? Groningen in particular? On the face of it, it seems too good to be true - top 100 Uni ranked between Bristol and Warwick with tuition fees much less than the UK

Well it is more that our uni. fees are just too bad to be true, I would say. I mean they trebled from one year to a next. My nephew cost £9k, whereas my niece is now at Loughborough and it's costing £27k. FFS! And yet nobody back in the UK seems to bat an eyelid. What that certainly shows is that there is no direct relationship between fees between countries and quality, since obviously the quality of our unis didn't treble overnight.

I believe the Dutch unis have a good reputation within the EU countries - much better than Germany generally, and particularly good at absorbing students from other countries. i have seen Dutch unis, including Groningen, on the cvs of smart and successful young Czech people.

But it will also be important to examine the reputation of the uni for the particular course to be studied, as you would within the UK. I might be able to find out more from a Dutch friend, so PM me if that would help ( and if you don't get any more concrete advice from others)

• Saw Groningen play Ajax a few weeks ago, they weren't great. That's my contribution to the discussion !
  • People slag off Charlton life but it's amazing the range of topics discussed and the amount of help offered on here.

Nice gesture PragueAddick - I shall raise a glass of Becherovka to you the next time I get a chance.

Well done all!
  • Have known a few people to have studied there, although they were dutch so slightly different situation, but they spoke very highly of it. I had a couple of interviews for PhDs in the netherlands and the university (wageningen) was very well set-up for international students and everyone spoke English (I imagine Groningen would be the same). Missed out on the PhDs and have ended up taking a different route but would have snapped up the opportunity.

If I were studying now I would choose to study abroad and take advantages of the benefits being part of the EU offers students. The courses will be just as good as the UK if they are in the top 100, they offer international experience which will look good on the CV and comes at a fraction of the cost.
  • edited February 2017
    Sounds like a daft question, but do you speak Dutch?

Yes a majority of people will speak English but presumably the classes etc will all be in Dutch.
  • My cousin did a year there about 20 years ago and spoke very highly of it. She didn't speak Dutch at all before going, spoke a reasonable amount when she came back...
  • Sounds like a daft question, but do you speak Dutch?

Yes a majority of people will speak English but presumably the classes etc will all be in Dutch.

They do a lot of the courses in English, good idea to check though!
  • My friend's daughter goes to University there. He was amazed at how hard she has had to work. She is, however, very happy there.
  • I have a friend whose daughter is studying European and International Law there and is her final year of her Bachelors.

Her route was via the International Baccalaureate, though unlike some courses there, she had to go through an interview process as this course was oversubscribed.

She never made it clear why she chose Groningen, but wanted to go there from about 15 years old. Cost her parents about £6k a year, but the plunging pound increased that by about another £1k this year. Cost of living is slightly lower than here.

Her whole course is in English and she's loving it there - though whose to say she wouldn't have felt the same elsewhere.

• se9addick said:

Saw Groningen play Ajax a few weeks ago, they weren't great. That's my contribution to the discussion !

Arjen Robben started out his career with Groningen.

Its annoying because he's awesome on Champ Man 01/02 yet when you start a new game he's already got a pending transfer to PSV going through the following season so you cant do anything about it (Unless you go into the Editor!!)
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't say I've heard of any of the alumni listed here, but they seem to be doing alright for themselves. Well the economics grads do, anyway.

http://www.rug.nl/alumni/news-events/nieuws/2016/oud-groningers-overheersen-top-3-meest-invloedrijke-nederlanders