Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BAFTA

2»

Comments

• Options
    "The action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue."

Yeah looked it up and it means just what I thought it did. And I'm not saying that as a form of virtue signaling.

Sorry, that's just not Ken Loach.

Like him or loathe him he's not saying those things to make himself look good in front of his colleagues.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Feck me Fiiish.

I remember when you wet yourself as a four year old at a party and now you're posting about tribalism and echo chamber debating.

I feel so old.

Is that why he's called Fiiish, coz he was swimming in it?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'm not denying the sincerity of what he is saying, just find the way he says it to be counterproductive. I mean, I agreed with him yet still found him irritating.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    If I had a political point to make, I can't think of a better way to make it than to write, create and produce a movie about the subject in an interesting, enlightening way. Hopefully the movie would be so good, it would earn plaudits, prizes and the highest awards, given by the people that know the movie industry best. And, on receiving the award, I'd use the platform to reinforce the message in a few minutes.

That way, those that want to learn more about the subject could watch the movie; and those that influence opinion could spend a few minutes understanding it better.

The two main risks are that some people might turn off or turnover; and some people might watch, learn more and find their increased knowledge leads to a strongly-held counter view. Both acceptable risks, if one holds a view sincerely.

If you don't like the message, fair enough. But it's churlish to dismiss the medium.
  • Options
    Though the speech was made in a room full of quite privileged people it was made to say we as filmmakers have a chance possibly even a duty to educate/remind a wider audience to issues that are often overlooked or misconstrued.
  • Options

Though the speech was made in a room full of quite privileged people it was made to say we as filmmakers have a chance possibly even a duty to educate/remind a wider audience to issues that are often overlooked or misconstrued.

La La Land
  • Options
    Chizz, I agree 100%. And I'm not for one minute saying he shouldn't have highlighted the message of the film in his speech. But in a post-Brexit, post-Trump political environment, I'm not sure whether pompous luvvies are ultimately helping or hindering their own cause.

I really hope more people go see his film on the back of the BAFTA.
  • Options
    Loach wasn't the only one, last night, he was the first. Saw a few wearing "Dubs Now" badges. Being a Culchie, I was thinking anyone but Dublin for Sam.
  • Options
    People that preach at any given opportunity that don't have the first idea of what struggling is like (I have to say Loach gets a pass on this because of the nature of his film) is completely counter productive.

Generally I think that these speeches will appeal to the kind of people who hold these politics anyway, where making a political statement at any turn is what makes them insufferable to be around as people as well... The rest of us aren't keen on getting preached to and reaffirms views
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So you all like a Luvvies wankfest, there's a surprise!
  • Options

La La Land
    We could also add , entertain. Which is why most people watch films like La La Land.

Politics have always been part of film making and it has never surprised me to hear speeches of that nature when excepting awards.