Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Match Thread (post match from P15)

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

The worse the games get the more I find myself using the c word....

Chocolate?
  • Options
    You'd have to be a complete moron not to see this mediocrity is due to the January auction and pathetically insufficient expense on replacements. Again.

Hi Roland.
  • Options
    Just came back from the dentist, always an unpleasant experience. Equally, it was an unpleasant experience last night.
    If I had to choose, the dentist would win hands down. After all, I only have to go twice a year and i am in and out in twenty minutes.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Just came back from the dentist, always an unpleasant experience. Equally, it was an unpleasant experience last night.
    If I had to choose, the dentist would win hands down. After all, I only have to go twice a year and i am in and out in twenty minutes.

NHS registered or private? Don't forget the financial outlay as well :wink: .
  • Options

I doubt if there were 5000 there tonight....

I wish I'd counted the crowd, it would've been more entertaining than the game.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Yeah, as I said on another thread, despite being a Regime Apologist ©, at this stage I want them out too, so we can all get back to supporting Charlton again.

Tens of millions of pounds of debt, a ridiculous managerial turnover that helps make us a laughing stock within the game, the lowest attendances since we returned to The Valley and 13th position in League One. These are the facts of what the regime have delivered. It is surely indefensible in every way? It's not as if they've even gone about getting to these dubious achievements in the right way.

Not looking to start an argument (especially as you say that you want them out too) but I genuinely can't see how there can be a single apologist remaining?
    Have you not seen how red the new seats are?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    RedChaser said:

pettgra said:

NHS registered or private? Don't forget the financial outlay as well :wink: .
    NHS Red. Hate to think how much private would be. Normally an ouch when i am in the chair and a double one when i get the bill!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    robroy said:

Watching the game last night it occurred to me what our problem is. Nearly everyone of our players has the attitude that they should be playing in the league above at the very least.

I definitely agree that this is may be an issue with that permeates through the squad.

Bauer and Tex swapped the Portuguese and Belgian top flights with second tier football in England, ultimately because the pay is comparatively skewed in our favour. I do sometimes wonder if they now find themselves questioning how on earth they ended up playing Oxford Utd or Bury in front of a 5k crowd in League 1. It must all seem a bit alien to them and disappointingly low-wattage. I'm not necessarily questioning their desire, just that I can't imagine that they will be particularly up for the whole occasion.

Similar could be said for our young Premier League loanee wingers, our highly-rated goalkeeper, and Fredrick Ulvestad. Charlton is a stepping stone for them. Byrne and Botaka have dropped down a league to get game time. How invested are they in this project, knowing that they come from a league which is a higher standard and will be leaving in three months? Even Magennis had a fantastic summer with Northern Ireland at the Euros and I have seen him doing quite a lot of national publicity. I can imagine that playing for us at the moment gives him nowhere near the same buzz.

Above all others, I believe that this is the key problem with Tony Watt. His history and natural ability seem to give him the air of somebody that is doing us all a favour by turning up. During games he stands about, showboats when he can, and spends the rest of the game having a go at everyone else for being useless. He doesn't train well, stays up late in his hotel (both mentioned by Robinson) and doesn't feel the need to stay in shape. His body language just tells the story of someone that feels like this whole thing is beneath him, too smalltime to really put in the required effort to become the top-class player that he should be.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Decided to stay in and vote with my feet tonight. Last home league game I missed was Spurs in Apr 2007, so nearly ten years. I really enjoyed the Man City v Monaco game on BT, so didn't miss it at all.

Although I'm included in the official attendance, the club will know the true attendance and the number of season ticket stayaways. Last seasons stay-aways became this seasons lapsed season ticket holders, so they will be getting an indication on how many more will not renew next season. If they are bothered, which I very much doubt, they have been served notice. The Restaurant hasn't moved, but the food is shite, the service is shite and the atmosphere is shite, so customers are dwindling away. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cockroaches in the kitchen.

Can the true attendance be disclosed by a FOI request?

Weren't we relegated in that Tottenham match?

Berbatov and Defoe if I remember correctly.

Bent and Song should have scored. Diawara was class in that match.
  • Options
    There have been some pretty drastic posts on here in the last 17 hours. All I would say is it's only football at the end of the day, every Charlton is in the same boat and we are all feeling this pain.

They will go and we will get the good times back, we just need to dig deep and don't give up.

We all chose to support Charlton for a reason and it was certainly not to have fun.....well occasionally we do.

Stay strong people!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @JiMMy85 great job on the match thread mate, read it today when I got back to the UK. Piss poor result though and proves that our squad is just not good enough, people hoping that RD will spend, correctly, in the summer to support KR are so far off the mark, he wont change now after 5 transfer windows where he has kept the same strategy, a strategy that is failing every time!!
  • Options
    I'm not trying to spin this, and it sounded awful against Oxford, but those who went to Rochdale saw a completely different scenario. Plenty of effort, some poor defending, some flashes of genius, and a three all draw. Left the game feeling pretty positive.

How have they fallen apart in three days?! Is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I'm not trying to spin this, and it sounded awful against Oxford, but those who went to Rochdale saw a completely different scenario. Plenty of effort, some poor defending, some flashes of genius, and a three all draw. Left the game feeling pretty positive.

How have they fallen apart in three days?! Is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about?

The new VOTV, on sale this Saturday, will no doubt have plenty of inside info to get our teeth into as always.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Congo Chris?

There just wasn't much energy about us in stark contrast to Oxford. Crofts tried doing what he does but was overwhelmed by weight of numbers. I really don't know what Forster-Caskey was meant to be doing. Whatever it was it was ineffective. I would have liked to see Konsa in there but he didn't even make the 18! Unless he is injured that seems strange to me. We perked up for a while when Aribo came on but once Solly went it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

Bauer and Tex looked shaky and Magennis didn't look fit and was ineffective by the standards he has shown previously.

The atmosphere amongst a sparse crowd (6K tops in my view whatever the official figures) was apathetic in the extreme. 500-1000 Oxford fans made a lot more noise than we managed.
  • Options
    Have read every single thread on here. Found it very therapeutic after last night's debacle. Had one more than I intended when I got home to numb the pain. It doesn't help when you've got cabbles taking video's of the shutters coming down(very profound).
    I was fully prepared for a spirited performance from Oxford after reading their match report v Middlesbrough in the FLP but what particularly appalled me was the lack of effort/urgency in the final minutes from some of our players. Karl's post match comments are worrying to say the least.
    We need to beat Bury on Sat before we can contemplate consolidation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

Congo Chris?

There just wasn't much energy about us in stark contrast to Oxford. Crofts tried doing what he does but was overwhelmed by weight of numbers. I really don't know what Forster-Caskey was meant to be doing. Whatever it was it was ineffective. I would have liked to see Konsa in there but he didn't even make the 18! Unless he is injured that seems strange to me. We perked up for a while when Aribo came on but once Solly went it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

Bauer and Tex looked shaky and Magennis didn't look fit and was ineffective by the standards he has shown previously.

The atmosphere amongst a sparse crowd (6K tops in my view whatever the official figures) was apathetic in the extreme. 500-1000 Oxford fans made a lot more noise than we managed.
    Konsa took several knocks first half on Saturday @LenGlover and went off before half time. KR said after the game that he was due to miss Oxford and be rested anyway to avoid burn out.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

You can cherry pick things out @JamesSeed but there's been no dramatic regression in three days. This is a side that have won 0 in 5, 3 in 15. In League One.

If people want to highlight any noticeable downtown, results suggest it's since Robinson was appointed, as before that we had lost just 1 in 9, and in that game we were depleted.
    Afka the atmosphere at home has been shit all season regardless of results it been shit.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Leuth said:

Yeah, as I said on another thread, despite being a Regime Apologist ©, at this stage I want them out too, so we can all get back to supporting Charlton again.

Tens of millions of pounds of debt, a ridiculous managerial turnover that helps make us a laughing stock within the game, the lowest attendances since we returned to The Valley and 13th position in League One. These are the facts of what the regime have delivered. It is surely indefensible in every way? It's not as if they've even gone about getting to these dubious achievements in the right way.

Not looking to start an argument (especially as you say that you want them out too) but I genuinely can't see how there can be a single apologist remaining?
    Have you not seen how red the new seats are?
    Because no one has sat in them ?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Afka the atmosphere at home has been shit all season regardless of results it been shit.

The results have been shit all season regardless of the atmosphere the results have been shit.
    Get the results right, be seen to have ambition for this wonderful club of ours and the crowds and atmosphere will return.
    Unfortunately this regime will only keep degrading the playing squad and therefore the crowds and atmosphere will correlate
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oxford perspective:

http://yellowsforum.co.uk/thread/25332/2017-charlton-oufc-match-thread?page=6

Page 7 on. They seem understandably chuffed with the win and regard us as a decent side!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

You can cherry pick things out @JamesSeed but there's been no dramatic regression in three days. This is a side that have won 0 in 5, 3 in 15. In League One.

If people want to highlight any noticeable downtown, results suggest it's since Robinson was appointed, as before that we had lost just 1 in 9, and in that game we were depleted.
    I thought it had improved as all us protesters who had been told to protest elsewhere have stopped ruining people's match day experiences...
  • Options
    What's happened to Ulvestad, is he injured, out of favour, gone back?

Whilst I don't think he is a great player our awful form seems to have coincided with his absence.
  • Options

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

I thought it had improved as all us protesters who had been told to protest elsewhere have stopped ruining people's match day experiences...
    Clubs f@cked be lucky to get 4000 for some games next season
    We've seen them crowds before at selhurst and Upton park but we'd have a good song song
    More atmosphere at Rochdale last Saturday.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Sorry and all that, but it was dire under Slade. Robinson imho improved things, and I think most people here agree?
    However, the downward trend since the window has been alarming.
    But to me it's pointless comparing Russell losing one in nine to what's happened under Robinson. If it had been zero in nine we'd still have been playing awful, defensive, sterile football. We were going nowhere.
    Despite that I was against him being sacked, just as I'm against Robinson being sacked.