Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

HALL OF FAME

It is the time of year when we hold the annual vote to elect 3 new names into the Charlton Athletic Hall Of Fame. As usual, there are 3 categories and 9 names for your consideration. They are as follows:-

Pre 1950
Gordon Hurst
Jimmy Oakes
Charlie Vaughan

1951-80
Eddie Firmani
John Hewie
Billy Kiernan

1981 to date
Bob Bolder
Steve Gritt
John Robinson

You can Vote simply by clicking on the link :-
https://surveyhero.com/c/5135a67

Voting will run for 30 days and the names of the winners will be added to the Honours Board in the Museum.

Who are your nominations ?

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Tough picks but I'll go for:

Hurst - goal scoring winger in the top flight

Hewie - played in every position including STARTING four games non goal and our only Scottish international (question over Watt)

Gritt - another player who played in lots of position. 100%er
  • edited March 2017
    You sure that Meire is ok with you asking? You're playing with FIRE boy!!

Edit: Done :wink:
  • Done. How could i not vote for Johnny Robinson?
  • McBobbin said:

Done. How could i not vote for Johnny Robinson?

Yet being pitched up against Steve Gritt though?
  • McBobbin said:

Head said gritty i won't deny, but Robbo was my favourite player for years
  • Done. Firmani and Gritt. Don't know enough about the pre-1951 trio.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Head said gritty i won't deny, but Robbo was my favourite player for years
    Agreed... Robbo had the attitude we dearly need right now from a lot of players, didnt he get really pissed off being left on the bench for the Play-Off Final (because he was just coming back from injury) yet came on and from his initial cross we got the corner that led to the Rufus goal.

Not to mention his celebration after getting the equaliser against Man Utd when we drew 3-3
  • Gordon Hurst.........always exciting seeing him at pace - crowd would encourage 'wing it , wing it'. Think Hurst might have won a wartime cap.

Eddie Firmani........along with Leary spearheaded the change from 30s/40s kick and rush to the intelligent beautiful game we know today. Firmani could play anywhere on the field and would always look elegant and stylish.

Bob Bolder...........will always be linked with the Lennie Lawrence survival years - every game approached nervously , but with good football and great spirit we seemed somehow to get by.
  • Could we set up a Hall of Infamy? I've got some good candidates in mind for the 1981 To Date category.
  • Charlie Vaughan - all the goals he scored for us were in the top flight, plus my Dad served with his brother in the Royal Navy.
    Eddie Firmani - still I think the only player to score over 100 goals in English and Italian league football.
    John Robinson - wore his heart on his sleeve, one of my favourite players post return.
  • cafcfan said:

Could we set up a Hall of Infamy? I've got some good candidates in mind for the 1981 To Date category.

No board big enough
  • Gordon Hurst.........always exciting seeing him at pace - crowd would encourage 'wing it , wing it'. Think Hurst might have won a wartime cap.

FA Tour of Australia 1951. Not counted as a full cap then but we have his England cap and FA Cup winners medal in the Museum.
  • Hewie and Bolder
  • Bolder vs Gritt vs Robinson is such a tough choice.
  • cafcfan said:

Could we set up a Hall of Infamy? I've got some good candidates in mind for the 1981 To Date category.

Well Rufus is in the Hall of Fame already so could feature in both!
  • Tough this time round.

My choices:

Vaughan - Nearly 100 goals in the top tier and highly rated by my relatives who saw him play

Hewie - Mr Versatility and second only to Keith Peacock in outfield player appearances so shades it from Firmani this time.

Gritt - By name by nature. That iconic photo of him in the dressing room after the 1987 play off final sums up why he gets the nod over John Robinson for me

• Sponsored links:

• I think they should all go in the Hall of Fame.
  • HarryLime said:

Charlie Vaughan - all the goals he scored for us were in the top flight, plus my Dad served with his brother in the Royal Navy.
    Eddie Firmani - still I think the only player to score over 100 goals in English and Italian league football.
    John Robinson - wore his heart on his sleeve, one of my favourite players post return.

Ditto. Except my Dad wasn't even in the Navy :smiley:
  • Charlie Vaughn
    Eddie Firmani
    Steve Gritt
  • edited March 2017

I think they should all go in the Hall of Fame.

Where's the fun in that?

Each year three more people are added so eventually they all will.
  • Done

Oakes

Firmani

Robinson
  • Hurst
    Hewie
    Robinson
  • Hurst
    Hewie
    Robinson

Saw them all play and they always gave 100%
  • Have you voted yet ?