Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

darren bent

edited July 2008 in Rumours
rumours he is on his way to everton. don't know how true it is with keane going to liverpool.
if this is the case, does it have an effect on how much, and when we recieve our money from spurs (if we haven't done so already).

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]rumours he is on his way to everton. don't know how true it is with keane going to liverpool.
    if this is the case, does it have an effect on how much, and when we recieve our money from spurs (if we haven't done so already).
    It was all sorted 9-12 months ago. We sold the debt and pocketed the money (slightly reduced, obviously).
  • Pards has already spent all the money - on borrowing Sinclair for 3 weeks ;o)
  • Could be good for his career if so - might be given more of a chance by management, team mates and fans. Then again, I still remember Leaburn getting racist abuse there when he scored our winner (yes, he really did score the winner...) but hopefully times have changed on that front by now.
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Could be good for his career if so - might be given more of a chance by management, team mates and fans. Then again, I still remember Leaburn getting racist abuse there when he scored our winner (yes, he really did score the winner...) but hopefully times have changed on that front by now.

Leaburn never scored against Everton in the old First Division or cup games for a Charlton side. In fact he scored 3 goals in the old top flight. Wimbledon at home. Villa and Newcastle away.
  • I think Weegie was referring to the Full Members Cup semi-final at Goodison 1987, Shirty.
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Leaburn never scored against Everton in the old First Division or cup games for a Charlton side. In fact he scored 3 goals in the old top flight. Wimbledon at home. Villa and Newcastle away.

park footballer.
  • Under-rated, Tkiller - ask Curbs.

He knew Carlo wasn't a world beater, especially in front of goal. But Curbs recognized Leaburn's strengths sufficiently to build Charlton's attacking play through him - the way he held up play and brought others into the game. And he scored far more goals than you would think, listening to what some people say.

And whatever you think about Curbs, his judgement on the quality and character of players was invariably excellent.
    Just don't mention MC Bender.
  • selhurst

villa

st. james'
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Under-rated, Tkiller - ask Curbs.

He knew Carlo wasn't a world beater, especially in front of goal. But Curbs recognized Leaburn's strengths sufficiently to build Charlton's attacking play through him - the way he held up play and brought others into the game. And he scored far more goals than you would think, listening to what some people say.

I think his record was 1 or 2 in his first hundred games, after that he had a pretty decent scoring record, got a hat trick at Ipswich and was Mendonca's preferred partner.
  • Just scored his 4th at Norwich tonight!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bet he was popular there tonight, being that he's ex-Ipswich. Spurs win 5-1 and he got 4.
  • If only Leaburn/Marcus Bent/Lisbie/Mike Small had been given a good run in the side I'm sure he would've come good
  • [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Just scored his 4th at Norwich tonight!!!!!

You had me confused for a minute then, Tel - thought the great Leaburn was making a comeback!!

I'm going to have to find my copy of Home and Away, as I could have sworn I saw him score at Goodison. Maybe it officially went down as an og or something.
  • I think his record was 1 or 2 in his first hundred games, after that he had a pretty decent scoring record, got a hat trick at Ipswich and was Mendonca's preferred partner.

I think he scored a few more than 1 or 2 in his first 100 matches - but from memory it wasn't double figures, though that includes a few subs appearances. Certainly his problem was being given a first team role at 17 and in the first division when he should have been brought on a bit more slowly, but the alternative at that time was the permanently injured Andy Jones.

I think he and Mendonca only played half a season together before Carlo departed for Wimbledon.
  • BFR it was 4 iirc.
  • spurs would be mad to let bent go , scored 4 against norwich and looked like the player we sold them .

If only we had someone like that right now
  • Benty played the whole match Vs Norwich and with Keane now gone and Berbatov not featuring it looks like he may be a main striker this year.

He looked at his best. His first goal was taken very confidently and the second was a flying header. Unfortunately I didn't get a great view of the third and fourth as they were at the other end, still I was 50 yards closer than at Brighton!

Norwich to be fair looked solid in defence in the first half and looked dangerous on the break. Changes throughout the match and Spurs took control. In the end it looked like there was more than one division between the two teams.

Wes Hoolahan won MOM!
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]BFR it was 4 iirc.

According to:
    http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football-heroes/displayhero_club.asp?HeroID=19572

His goal scoring record was:

1986-1987 Played 3 Scored 1 goal (Division 1)
    1987-1988 Played 12 Scored 0 goals (Division 1)
    1988-1989 Played 32 Scored 2 goals (Division 1)
    1989-1990 Played 13 Scored 0 goals (Division 1)

Northampton Town:
    1989-1990 Played 9 Scored 0 goals (Division 3) (on loan 22/3/1990)

Charlton:
    1990-1991 Played 20 Scored 1 goal (Division 2)
    1991-1992 Played 39 Scored 11 goals (Division 2)
    1992-1993 Played 39 Scored 5 goals (Division 1)

Whether it was one or two goals or around the 9/10 that I recall (from his first hundred matches) it was way too low for a striker.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I think Weegie was referring to the Full Members Cup semi-final at Goodison 1987, Shirty.

That was a bit before his time. He never played in that game. The famous quarter final win on pens.
  • Fair enough, Shirty - I stand corrected.

BFR, don't forget Carlo's appearances included a great many sub appearances - often late in the match.

Remember, the goal at Villa - and the teeshirts after printed with "I saw Leaburn score".
    Also remember Leaburn scoring the winner at Selhurst in Div 1, when we beat Sir Fergie's Man U 1-0.

I missed the game up at Newcastle on Good Friday(?), when Carlo scored in a 3-0 win, I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Fair enough, Shirty - I stand corrected.

BFR, don't forget Carlo's appearances included a great many sub appearances - often late in the match.

Remember, the goal at Villa - and the teeshirts after printed with "I saw Leaburn score".
    Also remember Leaburn scoring the winner at Selhurst in Div 1, when we beat Sir Fergie's Man U 1-0.

I missed the game up at Newcastle on Good Friday(?), when Carlo scored in a 3-0 win, I think.

The Newcastle game was on a may bank hols monday. His first goal for the club.

He did score the winning goal up at Villa Park in Feb 89. 2 1 win.

He never scored against Man U. Reidy pen that was. Leaburn scored a few weeks after against wimbledon.
  • Right again, Shirty ...... it was Wimbledon, the match where Denis Wise was apparently booked twice.
    Bobby Gould, his manager, subbed him straight away after.

It's easy to confuse Wimbledon with Man U, isn't it mate? lol
  • Remember, the goal at Villa - and the teeshirts after printed with "I saw Leaburn score".

You mean the one that deflected off their defender leaving the keeper who was already diving to his left stranded as the shot nestled in the opposite corner?
  • me and ooh ahh witnessed this, anyone else?
    (Said deflected goal)
  • [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]me and ooh ahh witnessed this, anyone else?
    (Said deflected goal)

oh aye.
    derek mountfield i believe.
  • Deflection?

That was the outside of his foot. . . .

I actually fell off my seat when he scored. . . .

God Bless Tommy Caton
  • should have gone to spec savers falconwood!
  • Hat trick tonight for him v Orient. Seven in two games not bad, even given the opposition. Wonder what the odds are on him to be Prem top scorer?
  • Started off Monday night at 88-1, then came down to 50s shortly afterwards.
    Will be a lot less now.

I said he would come good, didnt I. The 4-2-3-1 formation which we are playing now suits him to a tee.
  • Damn, should have got in there earlier!

With Bentley supplying him and Arshavin in the hole behind, he's a cert. Good for England too - just read Rooney for Arshavin.

OK, I've had a few glasses of wine...