Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why do you got to football?

Amongst all the doom and gloom I think we need reminding about the reasons we go to football / Charlton.

It all started cos my Dad took me, and like most young lads I wanted to be just like him so going to football was cool!.

Later it was for the buzz, but still mainly cos it was time that my Dad and I had on our own.

Now, its for the beers in the Liberal 1st (and probably after), for bumping into people I've met and had beers with on away days, chewing the fat, laughing at Carter / MCS ;) and seeing the various people I've met from here. Oh and spending time with my Dad....

At no point has it ever been for the quality of football. That's been an added bonus when we've had it. If it had have been I would be a ST holder at Arsenal...Sorry GH;)

Comments

• And I'm exactly the same, Dan, though sadly I can no longer go with my Dad.

Just because my natural inclination is to voice my concerns/ worries, doesn't mean I care any less about CAFC.
  • I look foward to going to Charlton as i've been going now with the same group of lads for over 20 years now and it's just a laugh no matter what happens on the pitch.
  • First post on this board so a big HELLO!!!

I started back in 71 with my Dad, Grandad, Uncles and Cousins, so it was a family tradition that I had to uphold. Nowadays it's just the beer and spending time with some good mates and most certainly not the attractive football. I can only only see me stopping once I move on to the other side wherever that may be. Before I do that though I have got to keep up the family tradition with my 2 boys although they are still a little young at the moment.
  • Most people only go to moan Dan you know that, whether it be at our players, the referee, linesman or our Manager, why else would they go to football ? ;-)
  • Fashion show and facial hair study ...
  • edited July 2008
    I go for the Brazil 1970's free flowing football on display
  • I go for the resonable priced food and beer served inside the ground.
  • I go because it keeps you young. Just ask Riscardo.
  • I'm beginning to ask myself that question....
  • I go because it's Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• I support therefore I am.

I know it was a rhetorical question from young Dan but I find it hard to rationalise why I go to football or why I care so much (Just read AFKA's spot on speech elsewhere) but I do.

I don't understand how people can get so into opera, FI racing, golf or a million other things but they do.

If I was going to do some cod psychology then I'd say people go to football as a release and to see a real drama.

To let rip with complaints or cheers but also to watch a unpredictable drama unfold.

If you go to see Shakespeare then you know beforehand that Romeo gets off with Juilet and they all live happily ever after : - ) but you don't with football. To watch that drama, that tension and the ups and downs, to shout and cheer and groan and complain, to celebrate and console and all the other things that go with it is why I go.

It's even better when you go with some family, mates, people you only know through football or even total strangers who happen to be going through the same drama with you.
  • i go because i love charlton. they make me sad they make me happy, its the best realtionship i have ever had in mylife (apart from you Jo if your reading this!!!) i could never cheat on charlton or let go no mater how bad things get.
  • Henry -If you go to see Shakespeare then you know beforehand that Romeo gets off with Juilet and they all live happily ever after : - )

If you call two teeangers Killing themselfs a happy ending then god forbid what a tragic ending would be??
  • edited July 2008
    The people first, football second, and in recent years, work a distant third!

*Dan, you're a man of great intelligence, please change the thread title to reflect this!
  • I go because at a young age I trained with them, played with a few that went on to play for the first team, may had joined them but for injuries, carried on going to see me old mates play and a few mates from school used to go to watch, go now, not as often due to my location, cos my boy (aged 9) loves it so much, he like me loves Charlton (no influence from me honest) but also it has taught him a vital lesson in life at an early age that he can't always have what he wants, there are huge disapointments in life, and success comes from hard work and you have to earn it.

He tells everyone that the best day of his life was being the mascot away at Plymouth last season......and we won!
  • if anyone want's to go into a 'why charlton' story, please add it to our archive which we'll hopefully sometime do something with.

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=4062&page=1
  • **** knows. I just do - I've accepted that its a part of me and that it will probably never change. TBH I'm getting more and more ****ed off with football in general - not just because of the last couple of seasons, but for about five years now really. I think what really ruined it for me was the Parker affair (and Chelsea in general really).

Still, even though I kind of hate it almost as much as I love it now, I know it won't make any difference to me - I'll still go every week.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Henry -If you go to see Shakespeare then you know beforehand that Romeo gets off with Juilet and they all live happily ever after : - )

If you call two teeangers Killing themselfs a happy ending then god forbid what a tragic ending would be??

Now you've spoilt the ending for everyone else.
  • Sorry Henry... ;-) Better keep Stum bout the titanic as well then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]**** knows. I just do - I've accepted that its a part of me and that it will probably never change. TBH I'm getting more and more ****ed off with football in general - not just because of the last couple of seasons, but for about five years now really. I think what really ruined it for me was the Parker affair (and Chelsea in general really).

spot on there mate, i hate chelsea, what a pointless crock of shite they are!
  • Sponsored links:

• I go because if I don't go I might miss something, E.G. Plymouth Away 07/08.
  • As Dan said, its great to meet with your mates, moan like hell, have a good beer and laugh at my brother MCS.
    In the old days when every game was away, it was the mini breaks away nowing that the 'game' would be the only blight on the weekend's fun!
    At least nowadays, we will see a few more wins and home ground to be proud of!
    Some of us where councillors you know!
  • coz I love the club and badge
  • cos i am charlton and love the club
  • What they said
  • Because it's there.
  • Because criminally, Petanque has never really taken off in this country.

Zut alors !
  • I'd rather watch rugby these days......;-)
  • I go for the adrenalin I get walking from the station to The Valley, I go for the lump in my throat when the red, red, robin plays and I look at the teams walking out and think you lucky b******s, I wish that was me being cheered by 20,000 people! And I go for the moments like Todorov lobbing that ponytailed idiot of a keeper.
  • I go to meet women..