Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

fee for Bouggy ?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
seeing as we (reportedly) paid £2.5 million for him 18 months ago, surely we should be looking to get more than that when we sell ??????

I was shouted down on here yesterday when I stated that we are now a selling club (rather than a trading club - as most clubs need to sell to survive) - but at least they TRY to make money on their assets.

He isn't close to the end of his contract
He isn't over 30
He is an Algian International

mugged again or wot ?

Comments

• Good wind up attempt Golfie, very good.

Always good to start with a few assumptions as to the fee etc and then make a huge leap to the conclusions. Works every time.
  • Golfie's been rumbled .......... ;o)
  • I have some sympathy for that view.

Nobody really knows how big the financial black hole is though and I suppose it is possible that IF we get £2m up front we could be better off in terms of saving interest etc than getting (say) £3m over a year or two in stages.

Overall though I think you have a good point.
  • Well we don't know the fee yet but maybe, just maybe:

a) We paid too much for him in the first place and he wasn't worth it (do you think Spurs will sell Bent for more than £16.5m for example?)
    b) He has not shown enough to command a higher fee in the 18 months he has been with us (especially as he has had a dodgy injury record with us)
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]seeing as we (reportedly) paid £2.5 million for him 18 months ago, surely we should be looking to get more than that when we sell ??????

I was shouted down on here yesterday when I stated that we are now a selling club (rather than a trading club - as most clubs need to sell to survive) - but at least they TRY to make money on their assets.

He isn't close to the end of his contract
    He isn't over 30
    He is an Algian International

mugged again or wot ?

You really are a tedious troll
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Well we don't know the fee yet but maybe, just maybe:

a) We paid too much for him in the first place and he wasn't worth it (do you think Spurs will sell Bent for more than £16.5m for example?)
    b) He has not shown enough to command a higher fee in the 18 months he has been with us (especially as he has had a dodgy injury record with us)

c) the £2.5m we paid included appearance and other bonuses?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Golfie's been rumbled .......... ;o)

If it is a wind up its the most boring and tedious one ever
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Well we don't know the fee yet but maybe, just maybe:

c) the £2.5m we paid included appearance and other bonuses?

Such as a new cardigan from the Fans Director for every goal he scored
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Well we don't know the fee yet but maybe, just maybe:

I agree WSS and what Henry said.

This is starting to get tedious. The club who managed to glum £16.5M out of Spurs for Darren Bent is being accused of being found wanting in negotiation - it does make me laugh and this is based upon some rumour of what the fee may or may not be.

I can't wait for the season to start because at least then we can have a good old set to on who should or shouldn't be sacked immediately when we fail to trounce the Swans by 6 or 7. Wake me up when we get there please.
  • IF we paid 2.5m, which I doubt unless you include add-on's, then imo he was overpriced. IF we recoup over 2m now then I reckon we have done well. Some fans slate McCarthy but, in my opinion, he was better last season than Bougherra and we recouped our money on him too. Off the two I'd have preferred MacCarthy to stay but seeing as they have both gone that is immaterial now.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]IF we paid 2.5m, which I doubt unless you include add-on's, then imo he was overpriced. IF we recoup over 2m now then I reckon we have done well. Some fans slate McCarthy but, in my opinion, he was better last season than Bougherra and we recouped our money on him too. Off the two I'd have preferred MacCarthy to stay but seeing as they have both gone that is immaterial now.

Totally agree with this. I think a lot of people are rating Bougherra on what they thought he could do for us this coming season and not on the season just passed. Hopefully everyone will move on quickly.
  • Regarding a fee, from today's BBC rumours page:

"West Brom are closing in on Charlton defender Madrid Bougherra after having a £2.3m-bid accepted"
  • I agree with Golfie, we were mugged by Newcastle for Robert Lee (Not Rob) and now it happens again with Bhougerra, when will the board ever learn.
  • Are we being mugged though.

Just cos Pardew and the board paid stupid money for an average player doesnt mean to say he is worth that much now.

Would we get anywhere near the money we paid for Varney, Zheng, McLeod, if we sold them tomorrow, of course not.

Id be happy with £1m +.
  • It sounds as though we are getting more or less back what we paid, plus we get a high earner off the books.

I'm more worried that we won't get an adequate replacement in, still there are two months to go before the window closes.
  • bbc website says fee of £2m accepted for bouggy...
    so pardews buy high and sell low policy continues
  • Good deal by the board, see i do praise them on the odd occasion. Magic reminds me of Fortune with the bonus that he can pass the ball. Prone to a mistake or two and injury record is not too clever.

If we can get a decent replacement our defence will be really strong as long as Weaver is fit. If not the board must give Pards the dosh to get Gerkin in or another experienced goalkeeper.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]bbc website says fee of £2m accepted for bouggy...

It actually said £2.3m..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7534393.stm

• If you want to nit-pick it says:

"after having a bid of around £2m accepted for the Algerian international defender."
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]bbc website says fee of £2m accepted for bouggy...

I don't think you'll find it's Pardew's buy high and sell low policy.

He publicly stated he didn't want to lose Boogie but said it was inevetible he would be sold.
    Doesn't sound that Pardew had any say in the matter, does it?

So you'll have to look for another scapegoat this time.
  • edited July 2008
    has pardew bought any player and sold him for a profit for charlton?
  • i'm not nit picking BFR i'm just showing where i got my info from
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]has pardew bought any player and sold him for a profit for charlton?

Iwelumo
  • What other players has he bought that he hasn't made money on? He nearly recouped all the money spent on Paddy and thats about it?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'm more worried that we won't get an adequate replacement in, still there are two months to go before the window closes.

1 month isn't it?
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I agree with Golfie, we were mugged by Newcastle for Robert Lee (Not Rob) and now it happens again with Bhougerra, when will the board ever learn.

Kap, come on mate - mugged!!!

If £2.3m is the figure, we've hardly been mugged have we. What would you say we did to Spurs then getting £16.5m for Darren?
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I agree with Golfie, we were mugged by Newcastle for Robert Lee (Not Rob) and now it happens again with Bhougerra, when will the board ever learn.

Kap, come on mate - mugged!!!

If £2.3m is the figure, we've hardly been mugged have we. What would you say we did to Spurs then getting £16.5m for Darren?

I think Mr K had his tongue wedged firmly up inside his cheek when he made that statement. So far the sarcasm police haven't noticed : - )