Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The one thing that does get to me.....

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
...is if only we had a 'half decent' budget for this season, i really could have seen us doing real damage.

Players like Hoolahan, Ben Watson, Eagles, Kris Commons, Stefanovic, etc all going or gone for frees or relatively low fees, and would of fitted in our wage structure 12 months ago.

I like the idea of Hudson, i think it will prove a sound signing. But will just 1 change to our starting 11 be enough ?

Comments

• Hoolahan is a big miss.

He would've provided the bit of class needed on the left side.
  • Who needs a bit of class on the left, when you have the creative, skilful Jerome Thomas?
  • I think we will anyway regardless of money spent

Come on you Addicks
  • I have said a few times the biggest f**kin thing to me is we aint that far off. Is one addition enough no it isnt. To say that though brings out the abuse and the ye ha every thing is beutiful la la la la
  • I completely understand the above...and agree......but i guess its time thats we just have to deal with the hand we have.........enjoy the games and hope the younger ones develop into a good unit...of course catch 22 as they catch other teams eyes come January they could well be off as we seem to be a selling rather than buying...or it could be that we have by January got the ducks in a row on the money front......so being half full lets enjoy the season and hope that when the guys pull on the shirts they have the pride and passion to perform to thier best thats all we can hope for....i support the club not our position in the leugue but its when you see players not giving 100% that your get hacked off........its good to see the dead wood / journey have gone.
  • i think there will still be one or two suprises too come, at least one big'ish signing either perm or a season long loan from prem. agree with AFKA there is no reason we couldnt have got those boys in. could defo be somthing comming in from the sout coast and the east end before next sat.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]i think there will still be one or two suprises too come, at least one big'ish signing either perm or a season long loan from prem. agree with AFKA there is no reason we couldnt have got those boys in. could defo be somthing comming in from the sout coast and the east end before next sat.

Bournemouth and Orient! Typical Charlton, no ambition.
  • Hi all. Back from what little close-season there is. I make AFKA spot on; none of the above would've seemed unrealistic even a couple of months ago, and a couple of them looked ideal, so it's very frustrating. However, in our new world, there are probably several other clubs who've recently known glory feeling exactly the same way. Can we make a realistic go of it this season? It's almost impossible to be completely objective simply because of the depth of knowledge we all have of our own squad. Going glass half full, we'll hopefully get more of the "real" Charlton so many of us treasure; tightly knit, young and proud. And several apparently moderate squads last year made a huge impression with just those qualities - AND very skilled management!
    ps. Adam, you tease - are we talking former Pardew players here?
  • Thurrock and Eastbourne actually Henry you rumbled me...
  • I can't understand this bloody obsession with Hoolahan. Yeah he's a tidy little player but one season in the Champs, and he didn't set it alight week in week out by the way, and I've seen some remarkable commetns about him on here.

I'm all for changing my tune if he does the business at a bigger club with bigger expectation like Norwich.

As AFKA said we've missed out on some decent players because of the financial mess that ugly **** Dowie left us in but I have high hopes for us this season. We must have some of the most talented youngsters coming through than most Championship teams, Palace apart, so looks good for me.

My only concern is I can see us getting off to a slow start due to the senior pros in the squad hardly playing in pre season. There aren't many if any that have played in every game is there.
  • Sponsored links:

• i can't wait. the kids will want to get out there and win more. there was more passion in the youth cup team than most of our first team performances.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Players like Hoolahan, Ben Watson, Eagles, Kris Commons, Stefanovic, etc all going or gone for frees or relatively low fees, and would of fitted in our wage structure 12 months ago.

If we'd been able to get rid of Bent sooner (ie. to Wigan) and we didn't still have Faye then maybe we could've got 1 or 2 of those you've listed. Maybe not Watson and Eagles due to fees being involved, but i'm sure we'd have had a serious shout for Hoolahan and Commons.
  • edited July 2008
    Why does a player who signs for another club become one we missed? Perhaps we didnt sign any of the aforementioned because we didnt want the fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Why does a player who signs for another club become one we missed? Perhaps we didnt sign any of the aforementioned because we didnt want the fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be proper ****ed off when Ronaldo goes to Madrid
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Why does a player who signs for another club become one we missed? Perhaps we didnt sign any of the aforementioned becuase we didnt want the fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right, maybe we weren't after any of them but if us as a club had the money and weren't/aren't interested in any of the players listed then i'd be very surprised. At this level they are all players who would improve our squad and Watson, Eagles and Stefanovic would probably walk straight into the first team.
  • edited July 2008
    We were in for Hoolahan, and he decided on the easy life at Norwich, so meh
  • I remember when reams was writing 3 page rants on how Mcleod was going to be "yet another player we've missed" if we didn't sign him asap.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We were in for Hoolahan, and he decided on the easy life at Norwich, so meh

or they paid him more
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We were in for Hoolahan, and he decided on the easy life at Norwich, so meh

or they paid him more

and good luck to Delia, last time I buy one of her books
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]...is if only we had a 'half decent' budget for this season, i really could have seen us doing real damage.

Players like Hoolahan, Ben Watson, Eagles, Kris Commons, Stefanovic, etc all going or gone for frees or relatively low fees, and would of fitted in our wage structure 12 months ago.

I like the idea of Hudson, i think it will prove a sound signing. But will just 1 change to our starting 11 be enough ?

It would've been good to get a few of them in, but such is life. I think the youth are going to come up trumps for us this year. In terms of the 1 change to the starting 11, hopefully there will be more than that with Holland left firmly on the bench or directors box/players section in the ground!:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Still havent given up hope on us signing somebody before the end of the window.....doesnt sound as if any one is likely to come in, in the next few days from what Ive heard.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Why does a player who signs for another club become one we missed? Perhaps we didnt sign any of the aforementioned becuase we didnt want the fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right, maybe we weren't after any of them but if us as a club had the money and weren't/aren't interested in any of the players listed then i'd be very surprised. At this level they are all players who would improve our squad and Watson, Eagles and Stefanovic would probably walk straight into the first team.

But guess what, If the club did have money you lot would be moaning that those plauyers listed werent good enough
  • edited July 2008
    If we signed Ronaldo they would be some complaining that he was a winking show pony and that they'd rather see Steve Brown playing for us cos he gave 100%. (no offence to Steve Brown)
  • Or say he has "no end product"
  • You know the real reason for the limited budget Henry and so do I now. In the background at home this morning on TV was "Escape to the Country" and there eyeing up 4 large properties in Kent was one Graham Dinning, the Prozone bloke from the training ground - sustaining a mortgage on a 3 storey detached property near Headcorn with a pond and acres of land must be an expensive business, so Bougherra just had to go, didn't he :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Rock Spectacle[/cite]You know the real reason for the limited budget Henry and so do I now. In the background at home this morning on TV was "Escape to the Country" and there eyeing up 4 large properties in Kent was one Graham Dinning, the Prozone bloke from the training ground - sustaining a mortgage on a 3 storey detached property near Headcorn with a pond and acres of land must be an expensive business, so Bougherra just had to go, didn't he :)

Was he really. LOL

I heard he was house hunting for some ex-charlton employee who flogs statues or something but I may have got that wrong ; - )
  • Mrs S only pointed him out because she said there was a bloke on there that looked like Keith Lemon! If he wants to spend £400k on our place then we'll bite his hand off - it's a lot closer to work for him after all!
  • If we had last seasons budget this close season how many of them signings would we have got,quite a few imo,however they weren't available last year and pards took too many gambles last summer heyho onwards with the kids which could be quite entertaining.