Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

season ticket extension & Saturday's game

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
I know most of you think i'm a wind up merchant or an total pessimist, but a couple of things have just got me thinking.

Club have again extended deadline for season tickets - obviously trying to stump up more money.
Club have the only pre-season home game coming up on saturday - one week before the start of the season.

best thing to raise new money is for there to be something to make fans want to go to games and Saturday is the ideal place to start. - unless the club has more foresight than I give it credit for - what better way to go into the season than turning up on saturday with a few new players there - not just being announced, but actually playing. Looks like the best we have to show for 3 months of activity is 1 centre half & 1 non-league striker.

If I were Pards & the board I would be busting a gut to get players in NOW - not letting them go. Still no annoucements as to who or where and theres just over a week to go before the start of the season. Mkaes a mockery of pardews coment in May , when after missing out on the play-offs he stated that " we can steal a march on the others who are in the play-offs"

Pardew........either put up or shut up. If you can't deliver (whether its you or the board) then don't start trapping off.

Comments

• We used to laugh at Curbs and his cliches, a premiership side will win it why not us and all that but we knew they were coming and could almost predict what he would say.

I don't know why it should be but Pards coming out with twaddle winds me up far more.

Like you I wish he'd shut up sometimes.
  • sorry, you're my bro, but all that is ridiculous nonsense !!

We havn't got any money, any in's will be freebies or more likely loans, the possibility of them being by Saturday is slim. Just get used to it. Pardew may have been a bit hasty in some of his comments but maybe when made he wasn't fully aware of the situation we find ourselves in. Just look forward to it - youngsters coming through, players like Racon given a chance, who knows what will happen.
  • Well said tigger
  • Club have again extended deadline for season tickets - obviously trying to stump up more money.
    Club have the only pre-season home game coming up on saturday - one week before the start of the season.

Every year the deadline for season tickets is extended - and taking past the home friendly makes commercial logic don't you agree? If they hadn't you'd be complaining that fans at a home friendly couldn't buy season tickets.

And for the last few years we've only played one home friendly...setting up matches against decent teams isn't cheap. The Prem and top overseas clubs want big money for the games and I'd rather we spent that on players and the running of the club than playing a big-name club who send their reserves.

Now back under the bridge you go...
  • If I were Pards & the board I would be busting a gut to get players in NOW

Really? I bet signing players never entered their minds, I'm sure they'll be logging on soon to thank you...
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I know most of you think i'm a wind up merchant or an total pessimist, but a .

Can't speak for anyone else but yes I do

[cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Club have again extended deadline for season tickets -

Again? bizzarre statement. As I remember it last year the club were being slated on here for NOT extending the deadline.
    If I were Pards & the board I would be busting a gut to get players in NOW

When I pop into to say hello to Steve Waggott tomorrow I'll tell him. You have obviously seen him and the board not busting a gut to get players in and he needs to be told what a lazy sod he is. Where's Peter Varney?
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite] what better way to go into the season than turning up on Saturday with a few new players there - not just being announced, but actually playing.

Good idea. Lets get players in just for a pre-season friendly. Don't worry about the budget or the other clubs who might not be ready to do the deals yet lets just sign anyone to keep you happy. No one will accuse the club of spin or only signing the players to con them into buying a ST - well no one but you golfie.

Pardew........either put up or shut up. If you can't deliver (whether its you or the board) then don't start trapping off.

Actually a fair point but then again why should he when people like you and Reams hang on his every word and take it as gospel. If he said nothing you'd repeat you idea that the club was like Stalinist Russia and not telling you anything but when you get a few quotes you treat them like a missing book from the bible has turned up.
  • edited July 2008
    Sir Henry Irving turned and swept off stage leaving the audience stunned. Suddenly from the back of the auditorium a single clap rang out and gradually this was joined by others and the noise which started as a trickle got louder and louder until with whoops of ascent echoeing from all corners it reached a crescendo - hear hear!!!!
  • I'm quite new to this site. Whats the story with this Henry Irving fella? Seems to be talking on behalf of the club at all times. Is there something I should know?

please advise

Thanks in advance
  • edited July 2008
    LOL. Henry is / was the elected Fans' Director so, yes, he does have a certain insight into what has been going on at the club!!
  • Oh! I don't pay attention to whos fans directer etc....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Mr-Invisible[/cite]Oh! I don't pay attention to whos fans directer etc....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's OK, I don't much notice of you either : - )
  • for a literary genius Mr Irving that last statement don't make sense.

Anyway Golfie you've a point with the players but we got no bloody money.

The youngsters coming through generates more excitement for me than some overpaid pony player.