Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ROBINSON QUOTED IN FL PAPER

'I think you need to bring in players who have been successful at this level first and foremost ... sometimes bringing players down from a bigger league, we can't be doing anybody a favour. They have to be coming here because this is where they want to be'

Robinson also states (as we probably know) that he wants to bring back Mavididi, who won't even be back in training until July

And a quote or two from Mansfield manager (now not so big) Steve Evans ..
'If you are a management team and you are dragging your signings into July and August, that tells me you don't know what you're doing. We are not going to be chasing a player for five weeks and giving him time because his agent is ringing up every other club trying to get him a deal''

Comments

• I guess successful is quite a broad term. I would say that the majority of Powell's signings had some individual success in the clubs they were playing at, hence how they got noticed by Powell's team in the first place. Success doesn't necessarily mean winning trophies and such.
  • I like the Evans theory, which is in the same ball park as Robinson's remarks .. it suggests that far too many players, especially at the lower levels, sign on for a club when they really don't care if they are there or not .. just a last resort, a refuge for a pay packet ..
    Powell for example had the skill and perhaps the good fortune to sign a group which was 'hungry' for success and wanted to play for Powell in a CAFC shirt
  • Robinson should say to potential signings what Koeman is with Barkley and his new contract, "this is the offer, you have 1 week to decide"
    If they cant decide in a week then move on to the the next target.

This for me. We were supposed to be signing a goalkeeper 2 weeks ago.....but still nothing. Read earlier that we are close to signing him but talking its time, ala Reeves. Just tell them that the contract will be withdrawn after a week & if they do then want to sign it will be on worse terms.
  • vffvff
    edited May 2017
    I read somewhere that Robinson is going on holiday at the end of the week. Not sure if that is true or not. Don't know what impact that will have on signings.
  • The attraction to come to Charlton is limited right now, I think we will see this a lot, particularly with out of contract players who will bide their time to see if any other offer come in. Their salary bargaining power will be strong when a club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee to get them.

Reeves knows it's a risk to come, he'll know that based on past performance the owner is likely to change manager at some point the season and will know about the high number of players through the revolving door.

I think to secure people quickly we'd need to pay over the top (salaries) that they know won't be beaten elsewhere and is worth the inherent risk, as a club we won't do that (which I don't have a problem with).

I believe we'll see more failed signings than successful one's, more worryingly I suspect those that are successful will be so for a reason, namely they aren't that highly rated.
  • vff said:

I read somewhere that Robinson is going on holiday at the end of the week. Not sure if that is true or not. Don't know what impact that will have on signings.

Won't have any because he has already been told no cash available by his bosses.
  • edited May 2017

Robinson should say to potential signings what Koeman is with Barkley and his new contract, "this is the offer, you have 1 week to decide"

I think it's easier for an existing player to decide whether they wish to stay as they should have already made up their mind.

If a new club comes in for you it must take longer to decide, as there are loads of things to consider, many of which aren't even football related, such as housing, schools, what the wife wants etc etc etc. I think a couple of weeks at the very least need to be given.
  • Sponsored links:

• Robinson should say to potential signings what Koeman is with Barkley and his new contract, "this is the offer, you have 1 week to decide"

I think it's easier for an existing player to decide whether they wish to stay as they should have already made up their mind.

Even with a new club you can accept the initial offer in a week, club knows it's got it's man and can focus on other targets, player knows where he will be etc. Other details like housing and schools etc can be sorted over the next few weeks yes.

Contract doesn't need to signed within a week just the initial offer accepted.
  • Rob7Lee said:

The attraction to come to Charlton is limited right now, I think we will see this a lot, particularly with out of contract players who will bide their time to see if any other offer come in. Their salary bargaining power will be strong when a club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee to get them.

Reeves knows it's a risk to come, he'll know that based on past performance the owner is likely to change manager at some point the season and will know about the high number of players through the revolving door.

I think to secure people quickly we'd need to pay over the top (salaries) that they know won't be beaten elsewhere and is worth the inherent risk, as a club we won't do that (which I don't have a problem with).

I believe we'll see more failed signings than successful one's, more worryingly I suspect those that are successful will be so for a reason, namely they aren't that highly rated.

They're put off by CARD aren't they ? ................. Or was it the B20 .................. maybe even WAR, that sounds like it would put players off surely ..............
  • I'm making this up now because I've always been a big fan of Tony Keohane, but should he really be doing the second interviews with the playing staff?

If a new club comes in for you it must take longer to decide, as there are loads of things to consider, many of which aren't even football related, such as housing, schools, what the wife wants etc etc etc. I think a couple of weeks at the very least need to be given.
    If you go for a job interview & there are a couple of other candidates how long do you think you have to decide to take the job if they offer it to you ? I suspect most companies would say a few days - a week at most. If you haven't decided by then then don't be surprised if the jobs gone to someone else. Why should football be any different. we cant (and shouldn't) have to wait for weeks (in the case of Reeves its been 4 months) for an answer.
  • edited May 2017

Robinson should say to potential signings what Koeman is with Barkley and his new contract, "this is the offer, you have 1 week to decide"

If you go for a job interview & there are a couple of other candidates how long do you think you have to decide to take the job if they offer it to you ? I suspect most companies would say a few days - a week at most. If you haven't decided by then then don't be surprised if the jobs gone to someone else. Why should football be any different. we cant (and shouldn't) have to wait for weeks (in the case of Reeves its been 4 months) for an answer.
    If you go for a job interview, you've already made up your mind that you want the job, unless something at the interview puts you off.

If another club let's say Charlton, contacts you unexpectedly and you live in and play for Plymouth. You have a wife and three children at school, it's quite possible that it may take more than a week to decide. Sometimes it can take my wife more than a week to decide which outfit to wear to a dinner event in a few weeks time.

I'm surprised people believe these life changing decisions are simple.

Ok, they might be, but they also may not be.

( Canters has taken weeks to decide whether he should pay for his girlfriends car damage :wink: )

If you go for a job interview, you've already made up your mind that you want the job, unless something at the interview puts you off.

If another club let's say Charlton, contacts you unexpectedly and you live in and play for Plymouth. You have a wife and three children at school, it's quite possible that it may take more than a week to decide. Sometimes it can take my wife more than a week to decide which outfit to wear to a dinner event in a few weeks time.

( Canters has taken weeks to decide whether he should pay for his girlfriends car damage :wink:
    Pretty sure we're into the months now.

The "neighbours car ultras" are getting really irritable about the amount of wasted time. They want to get the right wing fit and ready for the start of 17/18 but the "micra car ultras" are dithering over a couple of hundred quid. Unbelievable.

( Canters has taken weeks to decide whether he should pay for his girlfriends car damage :wink: )
    Oi! It's not me delaying it. It took them 4 months to produce a quote. I'll get the money back one way or another. She got a first from Cambridge so she'll be a cash cow (when she finally decides to leave academia!)
    Precisely. They could have signed for 16 football clubs in that time. Bastards.
  • edited May 2017

Also, Barkley hasn't only had one week to decide. He's been given one week from now to decide.

He's had all season to decide whether he wants to sign a new deal. All he didn't know was what the offer would be.

Very different to a club coming in for you out of the blue and having to decide, whether to move yourself and your family from one part of the country to another.
  • Sponsored links:

• And a quote or two from Mansfield manager (now not so big) Steve Evans ..
    'If you are a management team and you are dragging your signings into July and August, that tells me you don't know what you're doing. We are not going to be chasing a player for five weeks and giving him time because his agent is ringing up every other club trying to get him a deal''

Let's have a look at Charlton's summer signings last year:

Ricky Holmes – Signed 16th June
    Lee Novak – Signed 1st July (though announced it would happen on 17th June)
    Andrew Crofts – Signed 22nd July
    Declan Rudd – Signed 2nd August
    Jason Pearce – Signed 4th August
    Josh Magennis – Signed 11th August
    Jordan Botaka – Signed 11th August
    Adam Chicksen – Signed 30th August
    Fredrik Ulvestad – Signed 31st August

So that's 1 in June, 2 in July and 6 in August. Oh yeah, I see what you mean Steve!

Just for the record, here's when the rest of last year's squad were signed:

Lewis Page – Signed 6th January
    Johnnie Jackson – Already here
    Patrick Bauer – Signed 22nd June 2015
    Stephy Mavididi – Signed 31st January
    Dillon Phillips – Academy Graduate
    Ezri Konsa – Academy Graduate
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant – Academy Graduate
    Jake Forster-Caskey – Signed 5th January
    Chris Solly – Already Here
    Nathan Byrne – Signed 9th January
    Ahmed Kashi – Signed 21st July 2015
    Joe Aribo – Academy Graduate
    George Lapslie – Academy Graduate
    Jay Dasilva – Signed 30th December
    Jordan Beeney – Academy Graduate
    Jorge Teixeira – Signed 19th January 2016
    Harry Lennon – Academy Graduate
    Dimitar Mitov – Academy Graduate
  • Yes but we were very patient Stig.

Can't see why Reeves would be in a rush to decide. He may have offers from say 5 different clubs. The interest was clearly there from us since January but the offer might not have been made until recently. I would think his agent is also trying to negotiate to get the best deal possible.

Most companies don't have transfer windows
  • Stig said:

So that's 1 in June, 2 in July and 6 in August. Oh yeah, I see what you mean Steve!

Almost like we panic in August and January then.
  • Stig said:

Almost like we panic in August and January then.
    Surely not? Must be Katrien using all her experience to negotiate the best deal possible.
  • edited May 2017

You cant align being a employee pro footballer with the real world. It is folly to try and do so.
  • edited May 2017
    Stig said:

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or agreeing with Evans (I've highlighted the quote in question)

The fact that we had a VERY poor season indicates that Evans has a point .. 3 loanees are included in the 'late' signings indicating a degree of panic and/or indecision on Slade's part .. of the 9 players highlighted, only one, Holmes, I would classify as a definitely successful signing, although for me, the much maligned Crofts has not been nearly so bad as many on here seem to opine .. Ulvestad, Botaka .. did they REALLY want to be here or were they essentially ditched by their parent clubs and signed for us as an expediency ?
  • edited May 2017

Second paragraph 100% right.

In my eyes the football/football club has a small part to play in making a decision on if a player signs.

First they want to know the salary but then the nitty gritty is the family and if they will be happy in the area they are moving to.

• Powell for example had the skill and perhaps the good fortune to sign a group which was 'hungry' for success and wanted to play for Powell in a CAFC shirt

Good points, Lincs.

I would also add that Powell was already well respected within the game.

Not only did Powell and his management team watch the player in action, but they did their homework on the players attitude and character, going to great lengths to ensure that the player would be a good fit for team and club. Powell - son of Curbs and all that.

And I'm sure that I remember reading that Powell personally interviewed each player before offering them a contract?
    New signings liked that personal touch and bought into the whole ethos that Powell was constructing - and would run through brick walls for him.

It wasn't just good fortune.