Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tattoos

Can any one please tell me what the fascination for Tattoos is?.Nearly ever Footballer/Cricketer has them on their arms,and probably eleswhere.Is it vainty do they think it makes them look good?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Yes.
  • I can understand why people have them,lots of my friends have them and some of them are works of art. Not for me though. The train of thought that i have is...what will they look like when you are 70?!
  • I can understand why people have them,lots of my friends have them and some of them are works of art. Not for me though. The train of thought that i have is...what will they look like when you are 70?!

If they are done properly and by a decent artist they will still look great when people are 70.

The days of colours blowing after 7-8 years are long gone. The industry has moved on light years and some of the work being done nowadays is amazing.

In answer to the original question, does it really matter? How does someone having tattoos actually affect your day to day existence?

If they are done properly and by a decent artist they will still look great when people are 70.

The days of colours blowing after 7-8 years are long gone. The industry has moved on light years and some of the work being done nowadays is amazing.

In answer to the original question, does it really matter? How does someone having tattoos actually affect your day to day existence?
    I don't think that's quite accurate. Skin and flesh will change considerably from youth to old age. Also the colours may stay fast nowadays for longer, I seriously doubt they will stay sharp for 50 years.
    But I do understand why people have them and some of the art work is amazing.
  • My wife has a very close female friend who has many and large tats (tats), now her sons are older I'm told by my lad they hate them.
  • Sleeves are a fashion now in the same way getting stars were 5 years ago. Difference is once you've got the tat it doesn't leave when the fashion ends!

Some do look very good though but not gonna lie I wish I hadn't had mine
  • Tattoo's look great on young attractive people but they're pig ugly on the old, fat and pasty. As a country we seem to have more than our fair share of the latter.
  • Never seen the attraction but as I grew up in a family where all my older cousins, uncles, grandfather, dad on my fathers side had them I never saw it as risque or different, maybe the opposite as something old men had.

I can see that some are very well done but not for me plus I can't think of anything I would want on my skin permanently.

But each to their own. Not hurting anyone so let people do it if they like.

PS if our 18 year old came home with one his mother would not be happy.

It's not the colour deteriorating that I'd worry about. Those toned, muscular arms will become weedier and wobblier with age...
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a fan of tats generally but accept some look good artistically speaking. It's the ear stretching that I don't get. People who want to make a giant hole in their ears, how can they not stop and think maybe in ten years I'll not want to look like this?
    Anyway as Clem says it's not a big deal and I don't particularly care what people do to themselves, I just don't get it.
  • Tattoo's look great on young attractive people but they're pig ugly on the old, fat and pasty. As a country we seem to have more than our fair share of the latter.

thankyou David Gandy.
  • Derek1952 said:

Can any one please tell me what the fascination for Tattoos is?.Nearly ever Footballer/Cricketer has them on their arms,and probably eleswhere.Is it vainty do they think it makes them look good?

I have two sleeves of geometric patterns with a couple of CAFCs chucked in. The last one was a 3d skull, two weeks ago.
    I know Shine has a beautiful black and white sleeve.
  • edited May 2017

thankyou David Gandy.
    Each to their own but I don't think getting inked and then blowing yourself up to 20 stone is a good look for anyone.

Keeping it tasteful is the key.

• Can they do really good moustache.

thankyou David Gandy.
    Each to their own but I don't think getting inked and then blowing yourself up to 20 stone is a good look for anyone.

Keeping it tasteful is the key.

i think you may have solved the mystery of the missing Bromley cats.
  • Can someone please explain how anyone would think this works as a tattoo ?

I've regretted it ever since I walked out of the tattoo parlour ;-)

I'm 10 years away from 70 and I won't give a flying feck what they look like when I reach that age, I'm still restocking my wardrobe after CL fashionista told me I'm to old to be wearing baseball caps and trainers. Its all about personal choice and if you like it thats all that matters, now where did I put my hush puppy slip ons and my beige chinos, I'm at bingo tonight. ;)
  • Occasionally you see a really good one; artistic, original, pleasing to the eye. The majority though are none of those things. What we typically see is loads of people getting generic pictures done and then talking about how they've got something that's really original and meaningful to them. Yeah, you've got some really unique tats mate, just like everybody else.

The worst ones though are when people get whole sleeves or torsos (is there a buzz word for torso tattoos, to try and make it seem normal?) done. In their desperation to replicate the adrenalin buzz when they got their first piece of 'art' they obliterate the original piece by making it indistinguishable from the inky mess that takes over their arm.
  • Sponsored links:

• T.C.E said:

I can understand why people have them,lots of my friends have them and some of them are works of art. Not for me though. The train of thought that i have is...what will they look like when you are 70?!

I'm 10 years away from 70 and I won't give a flying feck what they look like when I reach that age, I'm still restocking my wardrobe after CL fashionista told me I'm to old to be wearing baseball caps and trainers. Its all about personal choice and if you like it thats all that matters, now where did I put my hush puppy slip ons and my beige chinos, I'm at bingo tonight. ;)
    Too right mate, I still think you look great

• T.C.E said:

I can understand why people have them,lots of my friends have them and some of them are works of art. Not for me though. The train of thought that i have is...what will they look like when you are 70?!

Too right mate, I still think you look great

Hey where's my new friends in SE9 when I need them, how hurtful is that? At the very least its agist, now Ive a damp patch on my beige Chino'simage
  • Don't ever have your wife's name on your arm, especially when
    she becomes your ex wife:-)
  • Body art has been around for thousands of years. I've got a couple, one on each arm, and it was something I wanted to do when I was in my twenties. I only got the second because I went with a friend who was getting one and while I was waiting I decided to get something on the other arm. I know some people who enjoy covering their body with tattoos.
  • Can someone please explain how anyone would think this works as a tattoo ?

I've regretted it ever since I walked out of the tattoo parlour ;-)

That's one bad ass motherfucker.
  • I have one. On my upper left arm to my shoulder. If I try and explain it on here, it will come across terribly and I'll probably get all sorts of ridicule
  • Just post a picture
  • edited May 2017
    I've been wondering what the footballer fascination with them is for ages as well. I definitely think it's something to do with them working 3 hours a day and having time on their hands...Also, I don't think the 'it'll look shit when you're 70' argument is purely about ink fading etc. I think it's more the awkwardness of explaining to grandkids or anyone you might meet why you have a snake and an eagle on your leg, or Malaga 2008 on your arse. It obviously doesn't affect my life or the lives of people who don't like tattoos, but I think it's hard to believe why on earth people thought certain tattoos would be a good idea. But each to their own, if we were all the same itd be boring blah blah...If anyone ever shows me a new tattoo and asks my opinion I instantly tell them it looks amazing. How can you tell someone who is stuck with ink on their body forever anything different?

I can't believe no one has brought up that Sheff Weds wrong date tattoo yet. Surely a great excuse to revisit that gem of a thread.
  • MrOneLung said:

Just post a picture

@TCE beat me to it

No I can't post bits of me on the internet again. I had a shit tribal one I got when I was 17, my mate who is a very good tattoo artist went over it with a homage to my mates by getting an artistic take on a family tree.