Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Timmy Abraham

brother of Chelsea's Tammy has walked out of our much vaunted academy!

http://www.kentlive.news/chelsea-star-s-younger-brother-leaves-charlton-athletic-for-fulham/story-30354085-detail/story.html

I thought we were running a good academy and it was the key to our future.

Maybe the repercussions of our relegation to league 1 are rippling ever wider.

Please close if already a thread about this but I couldn't see one....

Comments

• Probably offered a shedload of money compared to us
  • Only 15 so not under proper contract anyway
  • Anybody know if he was released by Charlton? I read that he had recently been on trial at Fulham after six years of coaching from the 'Addicks' academy. Although only 15 years of age he had been playing for the U18's & U23's and was scoring goals for us.
    Valley gold members will be very unimpressed at losing a promising striker to another London academy!!
  • edited May 2017
    It's one of a long list of things Valley Gold members have been unimpressed with...this does not surprise me one little bit it's been a total shitshow in the last few years.
  • Maybe he, or his family, were offered a stack of money

Maybe he's no different to Defoe
  • Money talks. There is a kid at chelsea whose name alludes me that wanted 50k a week without a single first team game under his belt. No matter what money is thrown at academy if a bigger fish with more money comes along its game over.

That being said if i was a young player id look at victor moses. Had a big money offer to leave palace whilst a youngster but stayed loyal and is now a premiership winner. His mate John Bostock who was the next big thing jumped ship to totenham and ...........
  • Money talks. There is a kid at chelsea whose name alludes me that wanted 50k a week without a single first team game under his belt. No matter what money is thrown at academy if a bigger fish with more money comes along its game over.

That being said if i was a young player id look at victor moses. Had a big money offer to leave palace whilst a youngster but stayed loyal and is now a premiership winner. His mate John Bostock who was the next big thing jumped ship to totenham and ...........

Thats Dominic Solanke

Thats Dominic Solanke
    Yes it is. 50 k a week without a first team game. Thats the premiership for you accrington stanley chairman was spot on about the lack of money filtering down.

• Sponsored links:

• At least we've still got Tommy.
  • Scoham said:

At least we've still got Tommy.

We've still got Tummy as our manager
  • With the people in charge at the academy I reckon it's more of a case of Fulham making a silly offer.
  • With the people in charge at the academy I reckon it's more of a case of Fulham making a silly offer.

As they have a category 1 academy (while ours is 2) I'm sure they're able to sign the player for minimal compensation. Same happened when Palmer went to Chelsea.

Thats Dominic Solanke
    Yes it is. 50 k a week without a first team game. Thats the premiership for you accrington stanley chairman was spot on about the lack of money filtering down.

He is really bloody good though.

I think it was Sturridge wanted the same from City after about a year in the first team. They told him to do one, went to Chelsea. Never hit his full potential but for my mind the most gifted English player of his generation. Solanke is not a dissimilar player.

We can blame the individual players all we want, but there is a lot of money in the game right now, why shouldn't they get their share? Clubs pay a lot for promise when it comes to transfer fees, why not the same for contracts? Were he Spanish or Argentine he probably wouldn't make such demands, but that's because there are a very finite number or young, incredibly talented English players.
  • SDAddick said:

Money talks. There is a kid at chelsea whose name alludes me that wanted 50k a week without a single first team game under his belt. No matter what money is thrown at academy if a bigger fish with more money comes along its game over.

Thats Dominic Solanke

I think it was Sturridge wanted the same from City after about a year in the first team. They told him to do one, went to Chelsea. Never hit his full potential but for my mind the most gifted English player of his generation. Solanke is not a dissimilar player.

We can blame the individual players all we want, but there is a lot of money in the game right now, why shouldn't they get their share? Clubs pay a lot for promise when it comes to transfer fees, why not the same for contracts? Were he Spanish or Argentine he probably wouldn't make such demands, but that's because there are a very finite number or young, incredibly talented English players.
    You old Capitalist ;-)

• Scoham said:

With the people in charge at the academy I reckon it's more of a case of Fulham making a silly offer.

As they have a category 1 academy (while ours is 2) I'm sure they're able to sign the player for minimal compensation. Same happened when Palmer went to Chelsea.
    Oh ok didn't know that, but imagine that in itself would have been a factor. (I'm assuming here) but I highly doubt the player would've had any loyalty to us and probably jumped at the possible money. Shame but can't blame him individually.
  • Scoham said:

With the people in charge at the academy I reckon it's more of a case of Fulham making a silly offer.

Compensation is something like £25 k per year he was with us - so we'll get maybe £150k for him

If he turns out half as good as his brother rated at £20m already then you can see why a Cat 1 status is essential OR an almighty change in the rules
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

I don't think this reflects badly on our Academy at all. Sometimes youngsters will just go, for a number of reasons. Timmy Abrahams hasn't made any appearances for our U23s. I have seen him a number of times for the U18s but he didn't stand out, unlike Kasey Palmer at the same age. Fulham have taken a punt on him, it may work out it may not.

Could work out bad for us but won't lose sleep over it. For every Jermain Defoe there's probably 3-4 Sean Mcginty's.
  • SDAddick said:

Money talks. There is a kid at chelsea whose name alludes me that wanted 50k a week without a single first team game under his belt. No matter what money is thrown at academy if a bigger fish with more money comes along its game over.

Thats Dominic Solanke

Could count how many appearances he's made for the First Team on one hand though whilst he didnt really set the world alight with Vitesse on loan last season.

Sturridge I thought was making regular appearances for Man City
  • Speaking of Dom Solanke, he's literally just agreed to join Liverpool it seems.

As for our academy - well, it's going to continue to happen and it's going to continue to piss us all off, until the regime leaves.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Speaking of Dom Solanke, he's literally just agreed to join Liverpool it seems.

As for our academy - well, it's going to continue to happen and it's going to continue to piss us all off, until the regime leaves.

Is it really their fault? Was it their fault when Defoe went? Palmer? Not being funny their was no attempt at Cat 1 before they came as far as I saw.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Is it really their fault? Was it their fault when Defoe went? Palmer? Not being funny their was no attempt at Cat 1 before they came as far as I saw.
    No, you're right. I definitely didn't make myself clear and hit send too early - my thinking is that as and when they leave, there will be more chance of us holding on to our youngsters and less of a philosophy of "bring them through and sell them".

Players like Defoe/Palmer/now Abraham are probably different given the contracting rules surrounding players that age, so I suppose I'm being harsh, but I just automatically saw "youth talent leaving" and thought "sounds like what Meire said"...
  • PaddyP17 said:

I agree you can't only blame the regime for young players departing although they have made it worse.

There were plans for Cat 1 prior to the Belgian invasion. Plans had been drawn up and external funding from grants etc found. Collapsed when Varney fell out with Spivs and left.
  • If a bid comes in for one of our players then we will sell.

This goes as far back as Len Glover, Billy Bonds, Derek Hales, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliot, Scott Minto, Lee Bowyer, Robert Lee, Jonjo Shelvey and Ademola Lookman.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I agree you can't only blame the regime for young players departing although they have made it worse.

There were plans for Cat 1 prior to the Belgian invasion. Plans had been drawn up and external funding from grants etc found. Collapsed when Varney fell out with Spivs and left.
    But you can blame them. They have stated that their plan is to develop young talent and sell it. We get to see the stars of the future, and they get a return. Key to that is keeping the young talent until you can get real money back. That would make a Cat1 acadamy priority 1 in their plan, as we know first team results don't matter.

And yet here we are, after years of talking about it, and they still have not make any significant progress to Cat 1.

We may not like the develop/sell strategy, but it has some merit. But if the management can't even execute even that basic strategy - at least setting up the infrastructure to make it viable, then I fail to see how they can be trusted to do anything right.
  • PaddyP17 said:

But you can blame them. They have stated that their plan is to develop young talent and sell it. We get to see the stars of the future, and they get a return. Key to that is keeping the young talent until you can get real money back. That would make a Cat1 acadamy priority 1 in their plan, as we know first team results don't matter.

And yet here we are, after years of talking about it, and they still have not make any significant progress to Cat 1.

We may not like the develop/sell strategy, but it has some merit. But if the management can't even execute even that basic strategy - at least setting up the infrastructure to make it viable, then I fail to see how they can be trusted to do anything right.
    I do not think you can blame the club when any player chooses to leave. It's the usual bright lights, shiny car park and a better tracksuit mentality. People here have posted the very same about other players elsewhere choosing what they think is the quick fix, the acid test is whether a player wants to kick on or is more interested in the cash in the early days. The academy will continue to produce players at a higher level than the category they are in. That's why other clubs constantly sniff around.
    I agree Cat 1 is a key strategy to help stop this and to be fair they have started, they are being audited regularly around the training infrastructure and education piece, they just need the rest of the facilities. That has moved on a bit, over the last few months and fingers crossed this year will see some start on the foundations of the main building.
    Hopefully they will move to Cat 1 at some point albeit it I think everyone hoped it would have been last year.
    The second year group to start this season in my view will be one of the strongest for a while - hopefully a positive platform to build on.
  • SDAddick said:

Thats Dominic Solanke

Could count how many appearances he's made for the First Team on one hand though whilst he didnt really set the world alight with Vitesse on loan last season.

Sturridge I thought was making regular appearances for Man City
    Both true, and yeah I think Sturridge was playing pretty regularly at that point. But that was 7-8 years ago and there is even more money in the game.

He's not set the world alight with the U-20s yet either, though he had a lovely pen and has had some great touches here and there. It's also difficult because he plays for Chelsea, and their policy seems to be that players will be loaned out until they're 23-24/viewed as being able to compete for the 18 week in, week out. Victor Moses shows that this can work, but it must be really rough on a player. The article I read indicated that wanting to play more was a part of his reason for moving. If I were a young player at Chelsea, I'd probably ask for a really high basic wage as well, since first team appearances are far from guaranteed.