Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Site speed

edited August 2008 in Troubleshooting
Hi sorry to moan as you all do a great job but i cant load the site very well today and this happens most days.

Is there a topic on here that I've missed where one of you has told us whats the status? feel free to sink if so and point me in the right direction.

Is it time to for us to start contribuing funds as its getting really frustrating to even log on these days and so its losing its fun to me. I've found myself loggin on to the dark side.

Comments

• Curb It, don't worry, it is a very justified complaint, and something that at present we can only apologise for. As i've said in the past, everytime someone gets frustrated during a slow period or a crash, times it by ten and then you're approaching my level !

To give you and others a bit more information. You all would of noticed that the set up and functionality of our forum is very different to most others you will come across, which in design and function terms are largely indentical.

Balancing the fact that we are using newer, more cutting edge technology, is the fact that it has by and large been pretty untested. What has been discovered by various other forums using this software around the world is that it starts to slow down the longer it exists and carries increased information.

Its not unique to us, or fully linked to the servers we run on. There are hundreds of 'extensions' that make up the site, some use the database far more heavily than others. That is why we had to turn off the 'Who's Online' extension for example, and a few others.

Lots of geeks around the world are currently looking at the problems, and i'm hopeful something will be resolved. We're discussing our options in the next week on what we can do to try and take things forward, because something definately will have to change. It would break my heart to have to move to another style of forum and lose all our history, but we cannot continue for much longer with a forum at this speed IMO.

I know from what people say to me, that dozens of people would be happy to contribute towards the running of the site, which is fantastic to hear and something we will have to do at some stage. But I remain reluctant to go down that round all the time these issues remain.

Hope that helps, and appreciate everyone's fantastic patience.
  • Thank God we've got the BBC's live text covering the cricket or else I might have to do some work!
  • AFKA ta fella so wot ur saying is you dont know and the Flip flop mafia dont either ?

the buzz words are"we are listening" " we take on board what people are saying"

still think its the guy swaning about in the Bahamas fault tho mate. Think you should pop over and have a word, ill carry your bags.
  • Typical spin from Charlton (life) If the AFKA and Lookie hadn't sold Scott Parker then where would we be now? Hey answer me that. What next? the club shop running out of new shirts.

Keep up the good work, I know it must drive you nuts but if the site wasn't so good people wouldn't mind not being able to get on it. And because it is so good more and more people joining which I doubt helps. The way it looks and operates is also so much better than other bog standard sites so having the new software/whatever is worth it. I certainly think so.

Victims of your own success but it is still a huge success. It's growing all the time its just that it's going thru that akward teenage growth spurt stage right now.

The solution sounds far to technical to me to grasp but if financial help is needed I'd glady put 50p in the meter or buy a Charlton Life badge for no more than £2.50
  • Pards - sort it out !!!
  • well i blame curbs.
  • ta for the explanation. I thought it wsa just me as people just ignore it. Be nice to get an update from time to time.
  • the site has suddenly speeded up. Coincidence? I think not : - )
  • Down to your motivational speech Mr I

;-)
  • No problems this morning
  • Sponsored links:

• anyone.....anyone......
  • No problems this morning??

It's even worse than yesterday!!!
  • Well that was a frustrating friday at work then!

Lookout can you add anything further to AFKA's post?
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Well that was a frustrating friday at work then!

Lookout can you add anything further to AFKA's post?
    It'll probably be along the lines of "Should've bought a Mac!" :o)
  • just a thought: I know nothing about the architecture and dont want to tell anyone how to suck eggs, but would it be better to have the archive on a different system, if its slowing down the uptodate stuff, and the archive (good to have) doesn't need to be fast?
  • This is a great forum AFKA and we all owe you and Lookie a huge debt of gratitude for running it. Let me know when you need a whip round for money to support. As Henry said, it's very success creates it's own headaches.
  • Hiya,
    just aquick query. anyone else having alittle trouble with the site on sunday morning;
    everything seemed to be going well 'til 9;40am when everything slowed up.
    probably just me.
  • A bit on the slow side but always worth the wait, more than willing to pay subs if it helps!
  • delete the alan pardew's red and white army thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]delete the alan pardew's red and white army thread.
    Good point - that thread was blamed for the go-slow a few months ago. It's re-appeared in the last week and the site has ground to a halt. Surely it's no coincidence.
  • As an engineer of many years (not a flip flop IT herbert) i would say there is something f**ked and if those in the IT game come out with some long winded b**lox sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo its still f**ked and AFKA i would suggest they get a kick in the gonads by yourself if they cant resolve it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]As an engineer of many years (not a flip flop IT herbert) i would say there is something f**ked and if those in the IT game come out with some long winded b**lox sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo its still f**ked and AFKA i would suggest they get a kick in the gonads by yourself if they cant resolve it.
    Will he be able to reach??? ;-p
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]As an engineer of many years (not a flip flop IT herbert) i would say there is something f**ked and if those in the IT game come out with some long winded b**lox sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo its still f**ked and AFKA i would suggest they get a kick in the gonads by yourself if they cant resolve it.
    Usual old shite I see every day from people at work - thought you were above that GH.

Its clear that there are serious problems with Vanilla - its not just this forum but others that seem to have no end of grief with it (mainly due to extensions that cane the database something silly rather than the 'vanilla' (excuse the pun) basic forum). The Lussumo framework is pretty robust, but the extensions developed within it are often sketchy performance-wise, buggy and have security holes in them.

FWIW, my suggestion would be to move to phpBB - much more stable & robust and fixes seem to be faster & better tested. Of course, since it has a much bigger user base than Vanilla, there are a far larger number of turds out there trying to find exploits in it, but provided you keep on top of the explots when they are published (or use a hosting provider that will do it for you) you would be fine on phpbb. There are tutorials out there on migrating from vanilla to phpbb as well, so it wouldn't be a complete leap in the dark for you.

BTW - I think there may be a routing issue inside Global Net Access's network - I often see timeouts during traceroutes to the IP that this site is hosted on when hopping through their routers. You may want to take this up with them
  • Come again Leroy? Can we have that in laymans terms please?
    ;o)
  • yer with it off,,, come again again Leroy.

Still no word from LOOKOUT. think there should be. Remember anytime netaddicks went down trevor would be straight on giving us the heads up, think the silence is poor.
  • Quick slow,quick quick quick slow, Patience is a virtue b .. -:)
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]yer with it off,,, come again again Leroy.

Still no word from LOOKOUT. think there should be. Remember anytime netaddicks went down trevor would be straight on giving us the heads up, think the silence is poor.
    Have you been to the pub any chance?? ;-p
  • Yes have been to pub and going to bed in a minute. but this morning everytime i clicked on a post it took an average 4.5 minutes to open. luckily i was in no rush and was putting off the time my husband was trying to get me to go bluewater. Trying my ardest to get out of it.

Just repeating what i have said to afka. He is just as frustrated as we all are and i feel sorry for him that all his hard work is getting jeopordised.

If i dont say it no one else will and we will all put up with mediority.... and surely if our team can put in a chapmpionship winning performance than surely we could hope the number one fans site can?

On you go AFKA know your doing your best.
  • Don't worry about it - just me being a flip flop IT herbert coming out with some long winded b**lox