Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kindle screen problem

The screen just got messed up on her second kindle. The same thing happened with the first - Was kept in protective case, not dropped or anything. Hardly used- only holidays. Anybody had the same issue - loathe to get another as this shouldn't be happening - or has she been very unlucky. This is the ink screened version.

Comments

• Have you tried a reset?

Many issues with your Kindle, such as a frozen screen or issues with downloading content, can be solved by restarting your device.
    Press and hold the Power button for a full 40 seconds. After the first 6 to 8 seconds, the screen will go blank, which is normal. ...
    After the 40 seconds, release the Power button.

Youtube also worth a look for solution.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Kindle+trouble+shooting
  • yes - have been told it is not fixable -. Not mistreated and happened twice so was wondering if we are just unlucky.
  • In my experience she is unlucky. I have had 2 (upgraded) and know several other people with them. Never heard of a problem.
    How long has she had it? Is it not covered by a guarantee?
  • Email amazon. A few people at work have had one break and they have sent a replacement
  • Both just failed after guarantee expired - they are willing to send a new one for £50 but I don't want to get another if this is a common fault. I was wondering if it something to do with not using much! Maybe just bad luck.
  • Both just failed after guarantee expired - they are willing to send a new one for £50 but I don't want to get another if this is a common fault. I was wondering if it something to do with not using much! Maybe just bad luck.

Ive had mine for yesrs with no issue and it has not been well looked after tbf. I think your wife has been unlucky
  • Bought our son one of the kids versions for Christmas and the screen went after 4 or 5 months. Fortunately they come with a 2 year warranty. I contacted Amazon at about 11pm on a Friday night and the replacement arrived on Sunday afternoon! Absolutely top service but does seem to be a bit of a common problem on kindles.
  • Never a problem in 5 years
  • only just started having problems with mine... the volume bar kept appearing and it would lock.. resolved by holding each end of the device and slightly twisting it... amazingly it worked! Picked that tip up after trawling through various pages of the intranet...

Not using it much is possibly an issue if you've missed firmware updates. Mrs cafcfan has an old one and Amazon sent out a warning that a new version of the operating system must be uploaded or it would stop working. More by luck than judgement we got the update done a few weeks before the deadline. But there's still a fix, I believe, if that's the issue.

This might help https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/03/23/how-to-manually-update-your-kindle-if-you-miss-the-deadline/
  • Sponsored links:

• get a used one from cex, good value and they come with a warranty
  • Not sure how long they're telling you the warranty is but according to European law electronic goods are a two year or fair usage warranty.
  • I have had a paperwhite for years no problems at all
  • I'll get her a new one - I don't like rewarding poor design/production, but seems like she has just been unlucky. It could be the 50 shades type rubbish she reads on it I suppose!
  • I've had two and had problems. I now read on a Samsung.
  • edited June 2017

I've had two and had problems. I now read on a S ms ng.