Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Obstacle Racing - Is it designed to kill women?

What do the Ladies and Gentlemen of Charlton Life think of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4730102/Women-injured-Tough-Mudder-share-painful-tales.html

I have been absolutely stunned by this article and its content.

Have a read and let me know your thoughts...

Comments

• Thing is, the sole purpose of stuff like Tough Mudder is to punish you physically and mentally. It's not a stroll in the park. So if you don't know what you're doing, or haven't prepared yourself properly for the event, you will hurt yourself. My company is asking us if we want to do it this year "for a laugh" and I was appalled. I work in a cocktail bar and some of the people signing up for it are talking about taking water bottles full of rum around the course and people having to do shots everytime they fall off an obstacle.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and realise that an obstacle course is going to be fucking dangerous, unless it's designed for kids or is an Its a Knockout style inflatable one
  • I have a few friends and family members that compete in "tough mudders" and you basically get what it says on the tin.

Everyone knows what they are signing up too and if you take a look on YouTube it is there for all to see.

It is a physical participation sport, people get injured.
  • edited July 2017
    I can't believe the article has been written by a woman!

Seriously WTF?

It's like it was written in the 18th Century.

Just to confirm I race these kind of races 3 or 4 times a year and am NOT on £63,000 a year or middle class :lol:
  • Only skim read the article but didnt see why it is designed to kill women but not men ?
  • It's bizarre that people do this stuff without getting the appropriate insurance. I have no sympathy. It's a shame that that it costs the NHS money, time and resources.

Actually, no scrub that, it's just bizarre that people do this stuff at all.
  • MrOneLung said:

Only skim read the article but didnt see why it is designed to kill women but not men ?

The devil is in the detail:

"When Olivia Jones signed up for a Tough Mudder — one of the increasing number of obstacle course races held throughout the country — she knew it would be challenge. She even resigned herself to some minor cuts, bruises and bumps along the way.
    But she had no inkling of the devastation her decision to take part would cause her."

"Thanks to gender equality in the workplace and constant messages of empowerment, many young women believe that whatever a man can do, they can do, too — including gruelling physical endurance feats."

'‘Women definitely need to be more careful. Generally, their knee ligaments are less protected and hence more vulnerable. Also, many women tend to have a slightly knock-kneed posture and internally rotated hips, which also puts strain on the knees.
    ‘On top of this, the strength of a woman’s ligaments is affected by their hormones and so this is affected by the menstrual cycle. Ligaments become more lax during the menstrual cycle, which means the knee is most probably more vulnerable to injury.’'

"Thanks to jumping into filthy water, I ended up with a horrible kidney infection that had to be treated with antibiotics. I took three weeks to recover. I’ve found out since that lots of other female contestants get the same thing. It’s almost an unspoken thing."

Note how all of these are women specific...

The article basically reads to me and others in the OCR world as saying women are not conditioned for these sorts of races which is BS.

Train properly and the likelihood of injury is heavily reduced.

Plus don't swallow muddy water - That's just stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    cafcfan said:

It's bizarre that people do this stuff without getting the appropriate insurance. I have no sympathy. It's a shame that that it costs the NHS money, time and resources.

Actually, no scrub that, it's just bizarre that people do this stuff at all.

I agree the insurances should be taken out, have I ever done so? No. of course not. Despite being middle class according to the article, I don't see a need for the insurance... Maybe I will change my mind if I pick up a knock.

It's bizarre that people let themselves get obese and diseased costing the NHS money, time and resources. (Usually for a far more drawn out and permanent time and cost than a broken limb etc).

If you train right, you're a lot less likely to get injured. If you don't train at all you deserve what you get.

• Surely a man is just as likely to get a kidney infection from jumping into polluted water as a woman.
  • The nearest I get to extreme sports is watching Charlton - in recent years, extremely bad sport, in fact.
  • The pic towards the end of the article is horrific. The hairy toe/sand/poor nail varnish combo has put me off my lunch!

Originally thought the article was full of sexist tripe, but actually, it's just a headline that sucks you in but actually makes a lot of sense. they're based on army style training boot camps and it's not meant to be a 'fun' run but a challenge. Train for it.
  • 'It’s an overwhelmingly middle-class activity: nearly half the participants of a Tough Mudder have an annual income of over £63,000, and entrance fees cost up to £150'

So the majority who take part don't earn that amount, but still, overwhelming.

Yes, but considerably less than half the population earn under 63k so that section of society is over represented. Not that it is really relevant how much the people doing it earn.

The article is a classic piece of spurious extrapolation - find half a dozen out of the thousands of women who enter these events, all of whom may or may not be genetically, or physically predisposed to various injuries for a whole host of reason unrelated to gender, and extrapolate out to say that it's unsuitable for all women, while also ignoring how many men get injured doing one of these things.

Daily Mail 'science' reporting at its best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Plus don't swallow muddy water - That's just stupid.

I don't think it was swallowing the muddy water that caused the kidney infection.

Surely a man is just as likely to get a kidney infection from jumping into polluted water as a woman.

Women have much shorter urethras than men do, so it's a lot easier for bacteria to get into the bladder, and from there up to the kidneys.

• Trust us not to get that connection.
  • edited July 2017

'It’s an overwhelmingly middle-class activity: nearly half the participants of a Tough Mudder have an annual income of over £63,000, and entrance fees cost up to £150'

So the majority who take part don't earn that amount, but still, overwhelming.

Yes, but considerably less than half the population earn under 63k so that section of society is over represented. Not that it is really relevant how much the people doing it earn.

The article is a classic piece of spurious extrapolation - find half a dozen out of the thousands of women who enter these events, all of whom may or may not be genetically, or physically predisposed to various injuries for a whole host of reason unrelated to gender, and extrapolate out to say that it's unsuitable for all women, while also ignoring how many men get injured doing one of these things.

Daily Mail 'science' reporting at its best.
    To be fair the first girl was just very unlucky to face plant Everest... I've never seen anyone face plant it in the 5 I have attended.

Here's me struggling to get up it as part of a group...

image (I was 4th up out of 8 of us and got up first time, some of the others took 3/4 runs)
    and here's the ramp...

• Beforehand, these people imagine themselves sitting round the table with their friends and telling them, 'So, like, it was really, really tough, and I literally thought I was dying, but like, I found something inside me that I didn't know I had, and now I'm like soooo much more me as a person...'
    But instead you got your front teeth knocked out.
    That'll teach you, except it won't, you big crybaby.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Trust us not to get that connection.

It's one of the reasons women who are prone to UTIs are recommended to go for a wee straight after sex; it has a better chances of flushing out any bacteria that have been introduced to the area before they have a chance to grab a foothold.
  • I believe it's 2017. Women are, or at least wish to be, equal to men. No one forced them to go into it, they went of their own volition.
    Yes it's quite possibly dangerous. So if you can't face the possible consequences, don't do it.