Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• The winner takes it all.
  • The loser has to fall.
  • A few keepers might feel it slipping through their fingers
  • There was something in their that night
  • Good news. Makes a lot more sense than the current system.
  • Which super trooper will face their Waterloo by taking the deciding penalty?
  • It's all about the money, money, money.....
  • Well thats the name of the game.
  • garbage (that's a band from the 90's)
  • I guess it's slightly fairer but not a big deal IMO. A penalty shoot out brings pressure whatever, England will be no better if/when this in introduced
  • Sponsored links:

• seems reasonable .. the winning/losing of the toss of a coin can be too crucial in too many sporting events
  • I guess it's slightly fairer but not a big deal IMO. A penalty shoot out brings pressure whatever, England will be no better if/when this in introduced

When did ABBA sing that one?
  • I was going to try to do something hilarious with the song SOS and 5-0-5 but tbh it wasn't really working, and sometimes life is too short eh. Best left. :+1:
  • What's the name of the game?
  • edited August 2017
    Prefer the suggestion someone else made on here (sorry can't remember who it was) of penalties before a match. If the match is drawn then it goes to the winner of that. Less pressure and fans always get to see a shootout.
    Oh and more importantly stops teams playing for pens, so should make extra time more exciting.
  • edited August 2017
    Okay. Fairness. It might help. But most grounds have the away support at one end. Presumably there will still be a toss to decide which end the penalties will be taken or will they do that tennis tie break thing and change ends? As football supporters don't do that nice polite silence thing that tennis fans do.

So, there's a spare referee (the fourth official) and two assistants. So how about taking two penalties at once in front of your own supporters? One at each end, simultaneously. Quicker. No toss needed. More chance of catching your trains or whatever. No whinging about what's fair. Split screen coverage on Sky. And if a goalkeeper wants to take a penalty a random outfield player has to take his place at the other end.

Edited to add: no retakes either. For example, if an official deems the keeper has moved before the ball is kicked or is off his line, the penalty is automatically awarded.
  • Talal said:

Prefer the suggestion someone else made on here (sorry can't remember who it was) of penalties before a match. If the match is drawn then it goes to the winner of that. Less pressure and fans always get to see a shootout.
    Oh and more importantly stops teams playing for pens, so should make extra time more exciting.

Will it? I'd have thought if you won the pens pre-game, you'd be more than content with playing for pens in extra time?!
  • What the actual statistics of the team going first wins?