Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amazon Prime Video secures UK contract for Tennis from 2019

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/08/01/amazon-prime-video-secures-uk-contract-atp-world-tour-2019/

Sounds like Sky are cutting loose other sports to pump more money into retaining Premier League football rights.

Is the TV money bubble about to burst in the next decade?

Comments

• If this means less Tennis and Cricket clogging up the sports channels then I'm all for it.
  • They've been saving up for ages for next year's bidding war for the 20-23 rights. But if Facebook, Amazon and Google are all expanding their sports coverage, I'm not sure it'll be enough - unless they go so high that the others simply don't think the PL is worth it. But that's problematic anyway, as viewing has been in decline for some time. Audiences are fractured, and illegal streaming is a major problem, although not for Facebook as their advertising model would mean free football for anyone with a profile. And with the next generation using the likes of YouTube, Vine and Netflix to get entertainment fixes, the set top box business model seems antiquated.

Of the seven packages, Sky have currently have five and BT two. It'll cost them an astonishing amount to maintain that. And they're going to try, so it seems unlikely the bubble is going to burst in the near future (particularly with foreign rights providing much of the income).

If one of the streaming companies does a Murdoch and commits to using football to get into people's homes, stupid money will still be thrown at the PL. but I can't see it working out well for Rupes and co.

• Amazon Prime is very good value .. so far !!
    (I do a bit of trading on there and therefore get the TV/Movies included in the package) ..
    perhaps the price will escalate after they negotiate some 'prime' deals, especially sports broadcasting ..

as to the football cash bubble bursting ? .. I suspect not quite yet though maximum stretch point has been reached .. we will see
  • I have Amazon Prime for the convenience of next day delivery I've never watched anything or listened to any of their music. If the price goes up I would cancel it.

For people like me I suspect Amazon would introduce a second tier of subscription - or just look to make money with adverts.
  • Amazon have already introduced a second subscription tier.
  • I have Amazon Prime for the convenience of next day delivery I've never watched anything or listened to any of their music. If the price goes up I would cancel it.

For people like me I suspect Amazon would introduce a second tier of subscription - or just look to make money with adverts.

I have Prime too, again for the delivery convenience. But I have watched stuff. Mainly Lucifer series 1 & 2 which have been mildly entertaining. (Being set in LA, I'm quite fond of the Devil's relationship with his shrink. Of course, being a "baddie" he's played by a Brit.)