Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life Hall of Fame: The 80s

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Would be good to compile a 'Hall of Fame' of the most popular players through the decades from the 60s onwards.

We'll start with the 80s.

We have to compile a list of ten players from the 80s to be entered into the Hall of Fame.

Who would you put forward a case for of having to be included ?

Comments

• Bob Bolder
  • Alan Simonsen. Not only one of the best footballers ever to have played for Charlton, his short tenure here and what happened afterwards sort of epitomised the way Charlton was run in the 80's obviously culminating in historic events.
  • Robert Lee
  • Johnny humf, man he was quality
  • Jim Melrose.
  • peter shirtliff , goose pimples at st andrews
  • Mark Reid
  • TERRY NAYLOR
  • Sponsored links:

• Johnny H,followed closely by Melrose
  • Paul Williams must be a shoe-in.
  • edited August 2008
    Are players eligible to be included in more than one decade?

On the assumption that the answer is "no" then my 10 are:

Bob Bolder (ever present through nearly all our first division campaign at Selhurst)

John Humphrey (arguably our best ever right back)

Mark Reid (Very talented left back)

Peter Shirtliff (The two goals at St Andrews are sufficient reason on their own but he was a fine centre half)

Paul Elliott ( A fine centre half who sadly we had to sell before he reached his peak)

Robert Lee (note the Robert never Rob probably the most talented turnstile operator in the world...)

Steve Gritt (that photo of him after the St andrews play-off game says it all)

Paul Walsh (see Paul Elliott-sold far too soon but I have memories of us being battered at Stamford Bridge yet coming away with a 2-2 draw thanks to two pieces of brilliance from PW. Shame he is such a tosser on the telly)

Jim Melrose (second only to Darren Bent as a goalscorer in the period we are talking about and did it at the top level)

Paul Williams (when Melrose left I wondered where the goals were going to come from but he picked up the baton admirably)

I realise I've left Simonsen out! Substitute him for Gritty as he can't be left out and I'll slot Gritty in elsewhere!

Simonsen's brain was way ahead of anybody else but he still made a real contribution in the games he played. Something like 9 goals in 16 games i think.
  • That's a strong ten Len, though i agree with Brunello, despite his short stay, Simonsen must be included.

So using Len's ten as a base, who would you take out replace ?

PS. what do you think is best, naming a ten that can be in any position (ie 3 defenders, 6 forwards), or picking an XI from each decade with everyone in their set positions ?

And yes, players can only be included in one decade.
  • Its a very difficult this one......

Robert lee (rob can get F^&^^%% as far as im concerned) for all the goals he scored with his back to goal a quick spin and a smash in from the edge of the box.... and that volley against Newcastle which was the first time I say my dad flippin the newcastle fans, the bird.....

actually Im going with Willo ... for obvious reasons....he was blinding....

what about Kenny achampong???
  • cumbi arggh

kenny achimpong cumbi arghhh
  • As this is a Hall of Fame and not a best X1 I have gone for the ten players who I think gave there all for the cause and with us for a significant time, regardless of position so I have two keepers.

So based on Len’s excellent list I would take out both Elliott and Walsh and replace them with:-

Hales (I assume everyone else will include him in their 70’s list!) – Really nothing to add on why he should be included than he has to be included.

Nicky Johns – Played in front of an awful defence over a number of years and still won POY on at least 2 occasions.
  • Difficult i know, but , Mark Reid and John H have to be the 2 most under-rated fullbacks of the '80's.
  • My Nominees to be considered are:

Bob Bolder - If anything just for his a save in the final game of the season against QPR
    Nicky Johns - 3 player of the years awards during the 80s
    John Humphrey - Should have played for England, and to be fair, deserved to be playing at a bigger team than Charlton
    Colin Walsh - Fantastic left foot
    Paul Williams - Stepped up from Non-league to score goals at the highest level which kept us up
    Derek Hales - Did his best stuff in the 70s but always top scored for us in his 80s seasons as well
    Peter Shirtliff - Great defender, plus that night at St Andrews
    Mark Reid - Almost ever present throughout our time in Div 1, always played steady and was never in fret of losing his place. Good pen taker as well I seem to remember
    Jim Melrose - Scored plenty of goals in the top division
    Mark Aizlewood - anyone who wins player of the year 2 years running in the 80s should be in contention
    Allan Simonsen - a class above anyone else he was playing with at the time

Manager - Got to be Lennie

For me Robert Lee did his best work for Charlton in the early 90's not in the 80's. For me Mark Stuart was just as good if not better than Robert Lee during the 80's

We should probably do a short list for each position and then vote
  • I can't really disagree with Peakie's 10 to be fair - apart from the fact that he's named 11 !!!

If I had to take one of those out it would probably be Hales - but only on the basis that he's a shoe-in for the 70's team when he really was at his peak.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I can't really disagree with Peakie's 10 to be fair - apart from the fact that he's named 11 !!!

Counting never really was my strong point
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]My Nominees to be considered are:

Bob Bolder - If anything just for his a save in the final game of the season against QPR
    Nicky Johns - 3 player of the years awards during the 80s
    John Humphrey - Should have played for England, and to be fair, deserved to be playing at a bigger team than Charlton
    Colin Walsh - Fantastic left foot
    Paul Williams - Stepped up from Non-league to score goals at the highest level which kept us up
    Derek Hales - Did his best stuff in the 70s but always top scored for us in his 80s seasons as well
    Peter Shirtliff - Great defender, plus that night at St Andrews
    Mark Reid - Almost ever present throughout our time in Div 1, always played steady and was never in fret of losing his place. Good pen taker as well I seem to remember
    Jim Melrose - Scored plenty of goals in the top division
    Mark Aizlewood - anyone who wins player of the year 2 years running in the 80s should be in contention
    Allan Simonsen - a class above anyone else he was playing with at the time

Manager - Got to be Lennie

For me Robert Lee did his best work for Charlton in the early 90's not in the 80's. For me Mark Stuart was just as good if not better than Robert Lee during the 80's

We should probably do a short list for each position and then vote

I liked Mark Stuart too but couldn't really see how to fit him in.
  • Carl Harris
  • Wales international, Leighton Phillips ..... or am I on the wrong thread?
  • John Pender was a good player dare I say it in our promotion season Curbs played well.Was Alan Kernagan the 80's ?If not bung him down for the 90's he was class.
  • Scott Minto

i never cared whether he could play..............i loved him

thank you Sky, for making this old bird a very happy one

;-)
  • Scott was really early 90's though, KB's little sis ..........sorry!
  • in the first team maybe..............but i was stalking, ahem sorry, watching him before then ;-)
  • Little secrets.........eh, littlesis ;o)
  • i followed him on tour to Scotland...........he came up to talk to us all & i froze.........much to everyones amazement!!!!

lol

was shy.........................once!