Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

The 18 year old scored a great FK for Liverpool night against Hoffenheim tonight. Good to see a local lad given a chance, though possibly bad news for Gomez as he might have hoped to cover at RB himself.

With Kyle Walker-Peters also playing well for Spurs at the weekend, it's good to see young defenders getting a chance at top clubs.

Comments

• Apparently after seeing him last season Klopp decided against bringing in RB cover. Looks solid whenever I've seen him. Was surprised he wasn't a part of any of the England youth teams this summer, but perhaps he was injured.

Thought Walker-Peters was absolutely excellent in Korea. Glad he's given a chance. Good on the ball, very athletic, and a tough defender.
  • Is it mandatory for modern footballers under the age of 20 to have double barrelled surnames?
  • Is it mandatory for modern footballers under the age of 20 to have double barrelled surnames?

I know - it's really starting to irritate me for some reason as well. I know it's an absolutely irrelevant thing to get wound up about, but I can see it becoming a mega agitation for me if it continues

I think there are so many nowadays because comparatively few people get married so it's a way of honouring both families, but it's got to fizzle out some point. What happens when the double-barrelled generation start dropping their own sprogs, people can't seriously use four surnames so something will have to give.
  • Trent Alexander Arnold definitely giving Forbes Phillipson Masters a run for his money in the plum in the mouth footballer name game.
  • SDAddick said:

Apparently after seeing him last season Klopp decided against bringing in RB cover. Looks solid whenever I've seen him. Was surprised he wasn't a part of any of the England youth teams this summer, but perhaps he was injured.

Thought Walker-Peters was absolutely excellent in Korea. Glad he's given a chance. Good on the ball, very athletic, and a tough defender.

SDAddick said:

Apparently after seeing him last season Klopp decided against bringing in RB cover. Looks solid whenever I've seen him. Was surprised he wasn't a part of any of the England youth teams this summer, but perhaps he was injured.

TAA asked not to be selected so he could concentrate on pre season at Liverpool.

Walker-Peters played left back in Korea and was brilliant, heard he played at right back on Sunday and was given player of the match award.

England have got some excellent full backs in their main squad and in the yoof teams.
  • A useless bit of information but our ex player Phil Walker is Kyle Walker-Peters uncle.

Don't put yourself down mate, someone will think it's not useless information....
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

TAA asked not to be selected so he could concentrate on pre season at Liverpool.

Walker-Peters played left back in Korea and was brilliant, heard he played at right back on Sunday and was given player of the match award.

England have got some excellent full backs in their main squad and in the yoof teams.
    We seem to have a lot of young, athletic full backs. Dominant centre backs seem to be harder to find.
  • Trent Alexander Arnold definitely giving Forbes Phillipson Masters a run for his money in the plum in the mouth footballer name game.

Sounds like he should be reading the results on radio, not scoring goals on the field.
  • A useless bit of information but our ex player Phil Walker is Kyle Walker-Peters uncle.

I like that. I remember filling in a football chart , had to colour in a box when someone scored , think he may have scored 2 first game of the season and led our scoring charts with about 7 by the end

*old age means the above will definitely be completely wrong
  • Stig said:

Is it mandatory for modern footballers under the age of 20 to have double barrelled surnames?

I think there are so many nowadays because comparatively few people get married so it's a way of honouring both families, but it's got to fizzle out some point. What happens when the double-barrelled generation start dropping their own sprogs, people can't seriously use four surnames so something will have to give.
    Or even if they are married - we should be past the point where a women gives up her identity when she finds a husband. Re what happens when the offspring procreate, in Spain people have two surnames, one from each parent. They then pass on one (typically the dad's) to their own children. I guess something like that will happen here.
  • I double barrelled Helena Bonham Carter once.
  • Stig said:

Is it mandatory for modern footballers under the age of 20 to have double barrelled surnames?

Or even if they are married - we should be past the point where a women gives up her identity when she finds a husband. Re what happens when the offspring procreate, in Spain people have two surnames, one from each parent. They then pass on one (typically the dad's) to their own children. I guess something like that will happen here.
    Until this is considered inappropriate and someone suggests that people shouldn't abandon their Mum's name.

What will be interesting is the order of the names - especially if, say Mr Walker-Peters has a child with Miss Peters-Walker.

Will the child be Walker-Peters-Peters-Walker or Peters-Walker-Walker-Peters or maybe go alphabetically and go for Peters-Peters-Walker-Walker?

Or we could, you know, leave it as it's been for generations and save the trouble of needing A3 birth certificates.
  • wow so a thread about TAA has now turned into one about double barrelled surnames, only on charlton life :smile:
  • Am I right in thinking he's the first old Etonian to play for Liverpool since Tommy Smith ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Question for our overseas based Addick's

Is it just in Britain and the US we are getting subjected to a huge increase in this double barrelled nonsense or is it rife across the rest of Europe and wider a field as well?

• I'd like to share that we're even moving beyond double barrelling - my friends, who'd remain anonymous if I didn't have to share their surnames for this to work, were called Somerville and McCloud.

They merged their surnames into Somercloud which I think is lovely.

I make no apologies for being young, AFKA...
  • edited August 2017

Question for our overseas based Addick's

Is it just in Britain and the US we are getting subjected to a huge increase in this double barrelled nonsense or is it rife across the rest of Europe and wider a field as well?

Maybe. A friend's son married an Estonian and adopted her surname in a double-barrelled format by way of respect to her family. Some countries change names too to make them more easily pronounced. So in Latvia, that left-handed bloke from The Beatles is known as Pols Makartnijs. (They put an "s" on the end of everything it seems.)
    What's sillier, I think is the struggle to find original first names. Some yoof seem to have the most bonkers, mangled made-up names. I've got American great-nephews called Jaxon and Jager. How is anyone supposed to know how to spell this stuff?
  • edited August 2017
    cafcfan said:

Maybe. A friend's son married an Estonian and adopted her surname in a double-barrelled format by way of respect to her family. Some countries change names too to make them more easily pronounced. So in Latvia, that left-handed bloke from The Beatles is known as Pols Makartnijs. (They put an "s" on the end of everything it seems.)
    What's sillier, I think is the struggle to find original first names. Some yoof seem to have the most bonkers, mangled made-up names. I've got American great-nephews called Jaxon and Jager. How is anyone supposed to know how to spell this stuff?
    Seems reasonables :wink: .
  • he's 18 going on 30 .. calm, assured, quick, skilful will/should be in the England squad for the next World Cup .. perhaps we can get Clyne on loan as we need 'cover' (for cover read soon need replacement) for St Chris Solly
  • he's 18 going on 30 .. calm, assured, quick, skilful will/should be in the England squad for the next World Cup .. perhaps we can get Clyne on loan as we need 'cover' (for cover read soon need replacement) for St Chris Solly

Cannot see him getting in front of Kieran Tripper.

Cannot see him getting in front of Kieran Tripper.
    Me neither. That first game he played this season, he gave away too many silly fouls - just pushing the attacker over. Too easy for an experienced player to just fall over and too easy for the ref to spot. As a defender, he's far from the finished article.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

We seem to have a lot of young, athletic full backs. Dominant centre backs seem to be harder to find.
    I don't think this is a coincidence. We churned out big, non-nonsense CBs for years, with the likes of Trevor Brooking citing our penchant for forcing kids to play on big, muddy pitches as a reason for consistently producing those players.

I'm guessing a bit here, but I think we're getting our youngsters into Futsal, not forcing them to play 11-a-side until they're older, getting them onto all-weather pitches and training kids to be technical and quick. And as a result, we've created the type of player that makes our U-20s look rather exciting, but perhaps at the cost of the next Eddie Youds.
  • cafcfan said:

So Matt Holland is English/Irish while Danny Hollands is Latvian?
  • Question for our overseas based Addick's

check this out then !! ((:>)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_naming_customs