Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stoke sign Sonko for £2.5m

Didn't see him against us but really? £2.5m?

Comments

• It's a lot of dosh but in his first prem season he was fantastic. I think it's a good signing. Him and Shawcross are going to be a big mobile pairing. Good deal IMO. Maybe kills off any hope we have of getting Dodje back.
  • Nope, Varney skinned him for the penalty, and the front two worked him over good and proper
  • If we'd signed him Rothko, would your view be based entirely on that one game?
  • Way too much imo and Reading must be well happy with that kind of fee.
  • would you rather have Bougherra or Sonko ?

I think i may choose Sonko
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Didn't see him against us but really? £2.5m?

He is Reading's top scorer this season...

But as a defender that's over-priced on the experience of the Reading game, but we are getting close to the end of the transfer window and maybe Stoke are being forced to over-pay rather than find themselves short of an experienced defender.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]If we'd signed him Rothko, would your view be based entirely on that one game?

I'm just passing comment on what I saw at the weekend, and he didn't look a £2.5m defender.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]would you rather have Bougherra or Sonko ?

I think i may choose Sonko

Depends - alongside Hudson I'd probably opt for Bougherra, but without Hudson I'd rather have Sonko.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Posted By: Henry Irving Didn't see him against us but really? £2.5m?

He is Reading's top scorer this season...

But as a defender that's over-priced on the experience of the Reading game, but we are getting close to the end of the transfer window and maybe Stoke are being forced to over-pay rather than find themselves short of an experienced defender.

Sonko was Reading's only scoring threat in the league this season. Three games in and absent a referee's insistence that Reading be permitted to net a penalty, Sonko's the only one that has managed to tally... Remarkable, really, that with an unsettled Doyle and a midfield that, when not facing Luton, doesn't look dangerous, Coppell would let their primary set piece threat move at any price.
  • Coppell would let their primary set piece threat move at any price.

Perhaps like Pards Coppell is also under pressure to get rid of some of the higher wage earners and that dictates whether players like Sonko will be retained or sold, or maybe he and his agent were sniffing for a better deal, and he may have been on a contract that gave him a reduced salary in the event of relegation.