Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Setting up Sky in new home

We have just moved house and have been able to set up Sky in the lounge as there is the normal two lead connection to the Skybox.

We also want TV in one bedroom ( already paying for an extra Sky box) and the kitchen, but there is only one lead in each of those rooms. My husband thinks they are the same type of connection as the Sky screw in connectors, but he did try them in the Sky box but they don't work. He doesn't think that they're aerial leads although the house has three aerials on the roof.

As long as we have Sky in the lounge, we could live with just the Freeview channels in the bedroom and kitchen. Can anyone suggest how we might use those leads or will it mean having to get a Sky engineer in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• You can wireless from your original Sky box or up grade to "Q" which are wireless.
  • SKy should be able to supply wireless connection adapters to link your bedroom and kitchen boxes to your main box. No need for wired connections.
  • We have leads connecting boxes to other rooms and I think they are ordinary connections from the RF Out socket on the Sky box. Must admit we got an engineer to do the wiring. Aim to go Sky Q with wireless but need to change to Sky broadband.
  • We have leads connecting boxes to other rooms and I think they are ordinary connections from the RF Out socket on the Sky box. Must admit we got an engineer to do the wiring. Aim to go Sky Q with wireless but need to change to Sky broadband.

No you don't - according to this https://uswitch.com/broadband/news/2016/03/sky_q_is_now_available_to_non_sky_broadband_customers/
  • The one lead may simply be a link to a socket in the front room. You'd need to see where each goes to.
  • cafcfan said:

We have leads connecting boxes to other rooms and I think they are ordinary connections from the RF Out socket on the Sky box. Must admit we got an engineer to do the wiring. Aim to go Sky Q with wireless but need to change to Sky broadband.

No you don't - according to this https://uswitch.com/broadband/news/2016/03/sky_q_is_now_available_to_non_sky_broadband_customers/
    That's correct, I'm with BT and have Sky Q with mini boxes.
    The boxes don't work as hot spots unless you have Sky broadband, which isn't a problem to me.
  • edited September 2017
    If the Sky box is old then the RF out should be able to transmit the signal to the rest of the house. If not (and your Sky box is wireless but not Sky Q) you will need a gadget that Sky sell. I have one of those that I bought and never used that you can have if it will help.

If the cables in the spare rooms do not have the screw in plug they are likely to be just aerial cables.

If the aerial cables are connected to a splitter/booster in the loft you should be able to send the signal up there from the lounge by using the aerial down cable. It will mean that you will not be able to use the aerial in the lounge but if you have Sky there I guess it doesn't matter.

However, Sky will do a 'housemove' install and if you press them and say you will cancel they will come to you for a small fee or nothing. Worse case scanario they will come out if you agree to take a 'multi-room'.

If you need the RF converter thingy PM me. I assume you must live close to me as I'm in ME15, you can come over and pick it up.
  • cafcfan said:

We have leads connecting boxes to other rooms and I think they are ordinary connections from the RF Out socket on the Sky box. Must admit we got an engineer to do the wiring. Aim to go Sky Q with wireless but need to change to Sky broadband.

Had Sky Q for a year and I am with BT for my broadband. The only thing you lose is the mini boxes becoming wifi hotspots.
  • cafcfan said:

Had Sky Q for a year and I am with BT for my broadband. The only thing you lose is the mini boxes becoming wifi hotspots.
    WiFi extenders work fairly well if you need stronger signal in other parts of your home.
  • edited September 2017
    How long have you been a sky customer ? You could qualify for a free Sky Q installation. Download Sky app and check your reward status. You don't need Sky broadband.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

The boxes don't work as hot spots unless you have Sky broadband, which isn't a problem to me.
    Yeah if i understand it correctly its the hotspots I need to replace the 4 boxes I've got to relay Sky to other rooms.
  • cafcfan said:

Yeah if i understand it correctly its the hotspots I need to replace the 4 boxes I've got to relay Sky to other rooms.
    Or you can use powerline adapters. They are very efficient.
  • cafcfan said:

I use them for computer connections but assume you can't connect them to stream the TV signal, or can you?.
  • cafcfan said:

I use them for computer connections but assume you can't connect them to stream the TV signal, or can you?.
    Sorry, I thought that we were talking about extending a WiFi signal. Is that not what the Sky Q boxes do with Sky broadband? If so, they much have an RJ5 connection on the back so I assume that they can be used for connecting the Sky Q box to the broadband.
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

Decided in the end to go for SkyQ and Sky Broadband & Talk. They gave a reasonable discount on the normal installation and I am happy with what they suggested.