Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Preston: post-match reaction

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Look forward to reading the views later on from those who went to the game.

In the meantime here are some links ....

Audio of Pards expressing his disappointment with the level of performance:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7590029.stm

Times, Preston deserved the win, Varney misses glorious chance:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article4641023.ece

Pards praises "excellent" Varney and Weaver and Hudson, but disappointed with the others:
http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32790

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Difficult to be constructive

We were simply overrun in midfield, persistently gave possession away very cheaply and as a result endured wave after wave of Preston pressure on our back four. It was simply a matter of time before we were breached. Weaver had already made 3 excellent interventions in the first half, two saves and a narrowing of the angles forcing Mellor to drive just wide of the post. We were generally impotent up front, lacking ideas and invention.

Unsure why Mooty taken off and replaced by Youga who was totally wrong footed on the right and was at fault for allowing Sedgewick ample time to measure up a cross to the far post to allow Mellor to score from a Hudson deflection

Varney worked his socks off for little reward. Bouazza didn't go past his man or get fully into the game and a great many of us are puzzled as to what Andy Gray brings to the team, no hold up play, leaden first touch, won very little in the air. You would be looking to Gray and Bouazza to hold the ball up as we were playing away. Everybody else was average to mediocre.

All too often we were second best against a very fluid passing Preston team. Their crowd got behind them well in the second half and they responded, not a lot of enjoyment for the travelling Addickted today. Riscardo will no doubt have more fun in Blackpool.

Pardew suggested we did not push on when we scored.... why did he go 4-5-1 for the last 20 mins of the first half?

In summary Preston deserved their victory against a below par Charlton
  • sounds disappointing lats, cheers for the report.

Surprised about the midfield being the weakness, seeing it was our strength last week.
  • edited August 2008
    "Pardew suggested we did not push on when we scored.... why did he go 4-5-1 for the last 20 mins of the second half? "

beacause the tit started off with the wrong players in the first place !!!!!!!!!!!

Bailey out wide right....NOOOOOOOOOOOO

As Sam was injured why not start with ambrose wide right instead of a player who is in the team to break up attacks ^ distribute the ball - can't do that from the wing.

Also, in the second half when Moo2 went off, why did Semedo not come on instead of Youga. It would have made more sense.

managers & tactics..........makes you mad.
  • Over-run in midfield. How many times did we hear that last season?
    Pardew wants to go away from home and win by playing pretty football. It aint going to happen most of the time in this division.
    We got our noses in front, he should then have crowded out the midfield and hit them on the break.
    Instead of that he weakens the midfield by bringing on Ambrose for Shelvey and goes 4-4-2.
    I like Ambrose but not in a tough away fixture when he is only half fit.
    He needs to give Curbs a ring, he'll tell him how to grind out a 1 -0 away from home.
    Let's just save the pretty football for home and get out of this division.
  • I did not realise until reading this thread that Pardew shifted Bailey out wide yesterday and brought in the school boy in centre mid. Only pardew would ever have seen that as an option!

Pardew on official site:

"We are short of defenders and need nous in and AROUND the team" .. he is finally realising he is tactically naff!!
  • Welcome back Golfie...
  • We missed you last week golfie, but then we won.
  • Just seen highlights- looks like we can't even mark players. The winner they had 2 players unmarked

Get used to it people its going to be an up and down season thats for sure
  • Golfie was here last week with positive praise!
  • As I said on another thread I couldn't see their goals that well as we were all up the other end, but having seen the goals on TV I agree that the defenders didn't mark up for their two goals. However what the highlights doesn't show is that for 90% of the game Preston played right through us from defence to attack, our midfield was completely overrun and the defenders just didn't stand a chance. There were only two outcomes to the game either Preston were going to have one of those games where whatever they did they wouldn't score or they would win, it was only due to some good defending by Weaver,Hudson, Fortune, Mooto and Bailey and the wayward shooting by Preston that it was not 5 or 6 -1. Yes we could have scored a couple more but we were not good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can I just say all of Golfie's point are valid and I find Pardew's tatitc very strange.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mr-Invisible[/cite]Just seen highlights- looks like we can't even mark players. The winner they had 2 players unmarked

We also gave them all the time they wanted to pick out crosses, we're not going to get away with defending like that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mr-Invisible[/cite]Just seen highlights- looks like we can't even mark players. The winner they had 2 players unmarked

We also gave them all the time they wanted to pick out crosses, we're not going to get away with defending like that.

Which is why Pards wants another full back and Cranie looks like joining on loan.
  • By the sound of it I made the right decision to miss my first game for 18 months due to lack of finances. Putting Bailey wide dose sound like a moment of madness as well as bringing on yogurt on at right back instead of Semedo. I do like Moo2 and going forward he can be awesome but defensively I understand why pards would of taken him off when trying to hold on to a lead. But that is what always has annoyed me why sit back when we are leading. I've never seen a team concede when they have the ball in the oppositions penalty area, you sit back you invite pressure.

The side angers me in the way that last week we looked like world betters and then by the sounds of it, in the second half especially, we looked weak in midfield and toothless going forward. I mean what happen to Bouazza, last week he was obviously possessed by Johan Cruyff and all the other games he just hasn’t turned up. I would still give Jonjo and Bailey a go to build a centre midfield partnership, we can't relay on Holland all season. I know Jonjo has been given a lot of harsh stick from fans this season so far but his talent needs to be nurtured, and it's not as if we have many other options. He will make some mistakes but as long as we as fans stick by him he will learn and grow from them.

I know some people will disagree but I think away from home we are missing Chris Iwelumo because he held the ball up better then Grey is doing and he was just more physical. He is also showing what he can do with proper wingers like Knightly giving him good service. Varney also needs to strengthen up if he is going to make it in this league, as he seems to constantly be getting pushed off the ball or rushing his shot before he dose get pushed off the ball. I know he was good in more physical leagues but I think his pace got him out of jail in league 2 were as Championship defenders are just that bit faster.
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite] Which is why Pards wants another full back and Cranie looks like joining on loan.

Can see him coming in at right back. Yassin is so frustrating, he needs a run in the team to improve, but we can't give him a run in the team when he's so inconsistent and keeps making silly errors.

Can't understand Bailey playing wide, we need him in the middle to win the ball.

As for Jonjo getting harsh stick its ridiculous, he should be under no pressure. With Racon out and Zheng going or at least not in the team at the moment, there aren't many other options. Wasn't long ago fans wanted to see more youngsters. Kind of a shame that Pardew isn't willing to give Wright a chance, but is likely to give Shelvey 20-30 games this season.
  • Bailey on the wide right... What POSSIBLE explanation could there be for that decision?
  • exactly why I think Pards doesn't know what he is doing at times. After last week's perfromance by Bailey why would he move him to outside mid?
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As for Jonjo getting harsh stick its ridiculous, he should be under no pressure.

Is Shelvey really getting stick? Or is it a realisation that he is not quite as ready as the two games last season indicated? Shame if he is getting stick as he does not deserve it and it will hold back his development.
  • Not aware of Jonjo etting stick anywhere; perhaps just people observing on here that he's not quite ready to take on the world. Maybe moving Bailey wide was to protect Moo2 - took us all by surprise and only appeared to weaken us in the centre. As mentioned elsewhere, Gray needs to do a lot more to help ease pressure. Against West Brom he held it up well at times but it kept coming back at Deepdale. Biggest problem was the failure of any player in midfield just to hold on to the ball until a meaningful pass was on. Instead the ball was shuffled on asap to no-one in particular. Preston weren't over physical (even if the front two were enormous), quick, or skillful, but dominated our midfield and had the outstanding player in Chaplow. They did the simple things (like passing) well, and BELIEVED in themselves.
    Congrats to PNE on the redevelopment of Deepdale on limited resources. They've created a modern stadium at their traditional home with far more soul than sterile, ientikit nonsense like The Reebok (which isn't even in Bolton) will ever have.
  • edited September 2008
    Who'd have thought that Lloyd Sam was the indispensable link from last week's team? Worrying, as we will have to face many more injuries and suspensions as this season goes on, sometimes to players that we really do consider indispensable.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it still seems like Pards inability to have a plan B in place is tripping us up, and no sign yet of the required ability to win more than two games in a row. (At the moment, even two would be nice.)

Where was Holland, by the way?
  • Sponsored links:

• Must say i totally agree with Golfie, when i saw the team, it was a real "eh?" moment.
  • edited September 2008
    why not put jonjo wide right instead, or Ambrose or even moo2? does seem puzzling.

Have always thought Mellor was a threat, if he keeps scoring he'll get snapped up I reckon.
  • Did Bailey 100% play on the right on Saturday?
  • Apparently for the first half hour, according to others, including the OS - then Pards changed it to 4-5-1 with Varney on the right wing
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As for Jonjo getting harsh stick its ridiculous, he should be under no pressure.

Is Shelvey really getting stick? Or is it a realisation that he is not quite as ready as the two games last season indicated? Shame if he is getting stick as he does not deserve it and it will hold back his development.

Maybe not, but I meant if he is its ridiculous.
  • His corners have been excellent, perhaps a Graham Stuart role awaits?
  • I wasn't at the game, so my option is that it was prehaps the worst performance ever, and we should sack everyone
  • call yerself a fan?
  • Started with a 4-4-2, then scored and changed it to a 4-5-1.

Started the second half 4-4-2 then they scored and went to a 4-3-3 then they scored again and went to a 3-1-2-1-1-2
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Started with a 4-4-2, then scored and changed it to a 4-5-1.

Started the second half 4-4-2 then they scored and went to a 4-3-3 then they scored again and went to a 3-1-2-1-1-2

Should have gone to 999 - we had an emergency: midfield overun, couldn't score, couldn't defend