Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions League 2017-18

So the group stage draw is coming up later today... here are the pots teams will be drawn from:

Seeded: Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Benfica, Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Monaco, Spartak Moscow.

Pot two: Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, PSG, Borussia Dortmund, Sevilla, Manchester City, Porto, Manchester United.

Pot three: Napoli, Tottenham, Basel, Olympiakos, Anderlecht, Liverpool, Roma, Besiktas.

Pot four: Celtic, CSKA Moscow, Sporting Lisbon, APOEL Nicosia, Feyenoord, Maribor, Qarabag, RB Leipzig.

Comments

• I presume the English sides can't be drawn against each other so Sunday league Celtic have a 5 in 8 chance of having a Cup Final against one and all the Rangers fans will have a chance to get behind a non pub team
  • Are two teams from the same country not allowed in the same top seed pot?
  • toughest group for spurs or liverpool has to be

real madrid
    psg
    cska moscow
  • Can we play all our games away from home please. Please. Please.
  • You are.
  • Jeez, a potential Spurs v Feyenoord clash would be interesting. Proper history between the two clubs, on and off the pitch!
  • Shame that Red Bull Salzburg didnt make it through to the Group Stages, would have loved an RB v RB game

Doubt it would have happened till the knockout rounds though as both would probably have been in the bottom pot
  • IAIA
    edited August 2017
    se9addick said:

Are two teams from the same country not allowed in the same top seed pot?

The top seed pot is for the reigning champions, plus the champions of the top 7 leagues. As Real also won La Liga, the champion of the 8th best league is a top seed (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Sorry, stackitsteve has it right
  • Getting Leipzig as the 4th team in the group would be a nightmare! They are a slick outfit
  • Sponsored links:

• I myself am buzzing for the Shakhtar, Porto, Anderlecht, Maribor group (;
  • Pot two is stronger than pot one.

Munich, Juve, Real & Chelsea from 1 + Napoli, Spurs, Roma & Liverpool from 3

Any of those get put together = group of death
    because pot 2 is so strong.

Potentially 3/4 'groups of death' and then 3/4 fairly easy groups with a clear top 2
  • se9addick said:

Are two teams from the same country not allowed in the same top seed pot?

Yes, two teams are allowed from the same country. But top seeded pot is for last years winners plus top 7 league champions.
    If Barca had won the league both them and Real would be in the top seeded group.
  • There are gonna be some real group of deaths- Pot 2 is ridiculously strong this year!
  • Spurs, Dortmund and Real Madrid
    Roma, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid
    Incredible matchups left, right and centre
  • These groups are horribly unbalanced, but it'll make the group stages a hell of a lot better.
    Think Spurs will come second in that group if they can overcome the Wembley curse
  • Should be an easy go for United. Spurs will get Arsenal in the Europa, unlucky draw for them lol
  • edited August 2017
  • Group G is the hardest group to predict. Group B and D the easiest.

Overall I think that's a good draw. Lots of really good matches there.
  • edited August 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• Would love to see Spurs get out, just to silence arsenal fans, tbh I've lost a lot of interest in the cl the teams are a joke players going for millions and charlton making a big deal about bidding for a player.
  • Looking forward to that Dortmund/Spurs/Madrid group. Have a real soft spot for Dortmund cuz I have a mate who has lived her whole life in Dortmund and it massively Dortmund. Also have a good mate who is Spurs so always enjoy watching them lose.

Think Spurs will go out. Don't think they have the squad depth for challenging in Europe and the Premier League.
  • Got my tickets for all 3 games this morning. I can't stand Wembley but can't miss out on a chance to see Modric and Bale again. What I'd do to see them two back in Spurs shirts.
  • So, will APOEL get any points this year?
  • SDAddick said:

Think Spurs will go out. Don't think they have the squad depth for challenging in Europe and the Premier League.

Tbh, most of us Spurs fans would tend to agree with you too. Hopefully we'll get a few more bodies in before the deadline to at least give us a bit of a chance in staying there or there abouts at the top of the league.
  • edited August 2017

So, will APOEL get any points this year?

I'd say yes. It's a long journey to the away leg. I think Spurs, with their reliance on high intensity and lack of quality in depth, could easily slip up against a team like that. Dortmund have also had a fair few games in the recent past, mostly in the league, where they simply don't fire
    Change of manager could well help and they've signed a couple promising German internationals, but they still look light up front should Auba get hurt with Schurrle never being fir and Max probably not ready for the center forward role.
  • Liverpool only draw 2-2, Gomez sent off right at the end

Spurs finally win at Wembley, beating Dortmund 3-1
  • JohnBoyUK said:

SDAddick said:

Tbh, most of us Spurs fans would tend to agree with you too. Hopefully we'll get a few more bodies in before the deadline to at least give us a bit of a chance in staying there or there abouts at the top of the league.
    Well then, I honestly didn't see that result coming when the draw was made. Had a bit of luck at times tonight especially with the disallowed goal but thats a magnificent result for Spurs tonight. No idea how we managed to sign Aurier, he looks like a huge upgrade on Walker already without even being fully match fit.
  • I really enjoy the Champions League, you can get some fascinating match ups.

Having said that, Roma v Atletico was a tad boring last night (Atleti the better side) then Napoli didn't really turn up for their game away at Shakhtar.

PSG v Bayern is in the next round of fixtures.