Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

In The Market For A New Windows Laptop

edited September 2017 in Not Sports Related
My Macbook Air has given up the ghost and for a variety of reasons I am going back to a Windows machine.

Don't really want this to descend into an Apple vs Microsoft debate, but would appreciate some ideas for a decent Windows Machine.

Minimum spec:

i5 processor
8gb RAM
256gb SSD
13-14" screen

Looked at HP Spectre, Dell XPS, Asus Zenbook (which for the price looks ridiculously good value) and a Microsoft Surface Book - Surface book is my current fave but am put off by the lack of legacy connectivity.

However, they all fall into the high end bracket and being the tight wad that I am, am thinking I don't want to spend more than £700.00.

Have seen Medion devices with really impressive specs around that price but know nothing about them and they only seem to have an online prescence.

Over to you for suggestions.

Comments

• Dell have an outlet store where you can get very reasonably priced PCs that have been returned or have the off dent or scratch on them.

If you Google Dell Outlet you'll find them. They don't make them to order like their normal web site does but you might find you get more spec for the money there, and they come with a full guarantee.
  • I switch from Mac's to the 13" Dell XPS with touch screen and think it's great. Only thing I don't like is the mouse pad is a bit too sensitive, so I got a wireless mouse as well. Think they're going for about £1,200 new, so maybe you can find a refurbished one for nearer your budget.
  • For what it is worth, and at the risk of encouraging shopping at a tax dodging multinational, it may be an idea to go to Amazon, and look to see what they have on their Warehouse Deals.

Some of them can be excellent (with significant savings on kit which was returned (often for reasons like packaging being slightly damaged). The "Like New" and "Very Good" descriptors are worth looking at (though, with the latter, read the description of the item carefully - sometimes there is no difference, other than price.

Other than that, perhaps take a look at Lenovo, who seem to have a few interesting deals, though the links don't seem to work for me when I click on them: www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/deals-and-coupons/laptop-deals/. I'm tempted by the gold Ideapad 710s - because I'm very bling: www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/c/ideapad-700-series
  • Is the need immediate? Think you'll be able to steal an absolute bargain on Black Friday with your budget and specification in 2 months time.

Failing that, I have an Asus Zenbook. Pretty boring but great value for money and has everything you've listed above.
  • edited September 2017
    I strongly recommend Lenovo, because of their superior build quality and especially the keyboards. The ThinkPad range is stellar but if you don't want something business oriented take a look at the IdeaPads. Both ranges are available with a wide range of specs.

You can get the specs you want for less than £700 with the E470 model.
  • I strongly recommend Lenovo, because of their superior build quality and especially the keyboards. The ThinkPad range is stellar but if you don't want something business oriented take a look at the IdeaPads. Both ranges are available with a wide range of specs.

That would be my recommendation too.
  • Very reluctant to go with Lenovo. Have extensive experience of them in work and they have consistently been crap. Customer Service is appalling and the hardware falls to pieces very quickly.
  • Very reluctant to go with Lenovo. Have extensive experience of them in work and they have consistently been crap. Customer Service is appalling and the hardware falls to pieces very quickly.

Scum.