Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scunthorpe Away Trains (25/11/17)

edited September 2017 in Match Day Travel
Though there are direct trains to Doncaster there won't be so many. The line going through Grantham is closed for works. It appears to be that way from the final weekend in October till the first weekend in December. So trains will most probably travel via Lincoln. The only direct trains out of Kings Cross to Doncaster are as follows;

07:12 in at 09:43,
09:48 in at 12:13,
10:03 in at 12:35,

That is before getting the local train to Scunthorpe. Those would be the trains to make it in time for kick-off.

There is however a direct train from St Pancras though very early...;

06:37 in at 09:53

That is also before getting the local train to Scunthorpe.

In order to get a decent fare it may be better to catch a train from St Pancras to Sheffield as that line appears to operating a normal Saturday service that day and then getting the local train from Scunthorpe from there.

For the journey back after gettingthe local train from Scunthorpe, direct trains from Doncaster to Kings Cross are as follows;

18:39 in at 21:40
19:02 in at 21:22 (Which gets in soon than the previous journey)
19:36 in at 22:12
20:26 in at 22:56

The last direct train from Doncaster into St Pancras;

18:19 in at 21:03

Again it might be best to back from Sheffield (which seems to operating a normal Saturday service) with the last direct train leaving the usual;

19:29 in at 21:31

This Grantham line closure could also potentially cause problems if we are drawn away in either FA Cup 1st or 2nd round (or both) to a team that would require us use that line as works are scheduled for of those weeks as well as previously stated.

Also a quick word of advice reguarding the trip to Shrewsbury on 11/11/17; I would wait to make sure that game is definetely on that day in order to book advanced cheaper travel as that is the weekend of the international World Cup qualification play-offs. I know we kept the Oldham game on but I would say go better safe than sorry.

Comments

• Is via Newark an option?
  • Is via Newark an option?

No it lloks like trains coming out Doncaster going South down that line would only go down as far as Retford and anything going North out of Peterborough would go round Lincoln. Anything between between Peterborough and Newark would be a bus all the way. Between Retford and Peterborough you could get two train changing at Lincoln. It would also be bus between Newark and Lincoln. As it Newark to Retford or Newark to Nottingham.

From the Virgin Train East Coast Website;

Grand Central, Hull Trains and Virgin Trains East Coast will run a reduced service. Trains will be retimed and diverted via an alternative route, extending journey times by up to 70 minutes.

Additionally some Virgin Trains East Coast services from Edinburgh / Newcastle will be amended to terminate at York, Doncaster or Newark North Gate.

Buses will run between Retford and Peterborough, calling at Newark North Gate and Grantham.
  • Christ......that's complicated as hell.
  • But the problems out of Newark only seem to be that weekend though Grantham remains shut on that and all the other weekends previously mentioned. Have a play round with the Journey Planner and see what best suits you.
  • Megabusplus (which is actually a train..) have tickets for this. £16.50 return, but limited by time. Depart 915 arrive 1230, return 1730 arrive 2115. Both change at East Midlands Parkway.

I know the return leg will be pushing it at best, probay require a taxi to the station
  • Megabusplus (which is actually a train..) have tickets for this. £16.50 return, but limited by time. Depart 915 arrive 1230, return 1730 arrive 2115. Both change at East Midlands Parkway.

I know the return leg will be pushing it at best, probay require a taxi to the station

Getting back to the station after the game is a bit like me, extremely tight.