Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U18s 2017/18 discussion

edited September 2017 in General Charlton
Hi All,
Luke Carey is making his return from injury after more than two years. The U18s are playing away to Millwall- It's a 10:30KO at Millwall training ground, if you can't make it to Fleetwood away, come and support the future! If you want to know anything about the U18s I'm your guy!
Many Thanks (I'm also U18's photographer if anyone is interested in game pics.

Comments

• Never heard of Luke Carey before... Is he a good prospect?

What position does he play?
  • Wasn't he allegedly involved in some bother in Gravesend last year (something about a disused synagogue)?
  • Im pals with his brother. He almost got released because of an incident in gravesend about a year ago... Very very good player and promising... Skillfull and technically v good
  • Wasn't he allegedly involved in some bother in Gravesend last year (something about a disused synagogue)?

An abandoned sikh temple
  • Let's hope he's put the past behind then, a lot of youngsters get up to silly things, most need a second chance. Two years out injured sounds serious so hopefully he returns to the form which got him spotted in the first place.
  • Ohhhh he's THAT young man
  • U18s playing today away to Crystal Palace at goals just down the road from Palace training ground at Beckenham K.O. 11-30

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/73809/luke-carey
  • Sponsored links:

• U18s playing today away to Crystal Palace at goals just down the road from Palace training ground at Beckenham K.O. 11-30

If your going, would be great to get a report/ update. Cheers
  • 'Injured or 'Feltham' ?
  • Lost 4 - 1 to Palace
  • Dan Birch CB- Back Saturday- had broken toe
    Harry Pollard- Suspension soft red at home to Sheffield Wednesday
    Luke- obviously back Saturday
    Charlie moore- knee injury
    Ed Harvey- GK-injured as well
    But honestly best U18 the club has had in 15 years
  • What makes you say that @tommy12317 ?

Been a lot of good U18 sides recently.

Would like to see pics and read more about the games and players

Henry, I also agree with @tommy12317. This group, in particular the second year scholars, were consistently strong from U9 onwards, playing the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and would win on a consistent basis. They have won National titles and have been a constant thorn to the bigger London sides over the years. The Charlton academy coaches for example, have over the years all wanted to coach them for more than one season..

As they have got older, the group has never really played consistently together due players joining different age groups or long term injuries.

I really hope they get a good FA youth cup run this year, as I really think they can do well in that competition, if they are able to put the right side out. Traditionally Steve etc, do tend to pick the strongest side, so it could be interesting.
    My sense is with all the players fit and available they should equally on paper walk the league, but here, we have to consider the development of the first years and new scholars for next season, so again the side will tend to chop and change.
  • Sponsored links:

Henry, I also agree with @tommy12317. This group, in particular the second year scholars, were consistently strong from U9 onwards, playing the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and would win on a consistent basis. They have won National titles and have been a constant thorn to the bigger London sides over the years. The Charlton academy coaches for example, have over the years all wanted to coach them for more than one season..

As they have got older, the group has never really played consistently together due players joining different age groups or long term injuries.

I really hope they get a good FA youth cup run this year, as I really think they can do well in that competition, if they are able to put the right side out. Traditionally Steve etc, do tend to pick the strongest side, so it could be interesting.
    My sense is with all the players fit and available they should equally on paper walk the league, but here, we have to consider the development of the first years and new scholars for next season, so again the side will tend to chop and change.
    Good to hear.

What would be the strongest U18 side in your opinion @Sid James Fan Club ?

Interested in hearing whose coming through and what they are like.
  • Good to hear.

What would be the strongest U18 side in your opinion @Sid James Fan Club ?

Interested in hearing whose coming through and what they are like.

Good question, sorry not able to put in pitch format!
    My initial view is you would firstly pick all the second years.

Thats........
    GK Ed Harvey
    LB Jordan Zemura
    CB Harry Pollard
    CB Sam Nwosu
    RB Dan Birch
    CM Ben Dempsey
    CM Brendan Sarpong Wiredu
    RM Luke Carey
    LM Alfie Doughty
    10 Albie Morgan
    CF Alex Willis

They could change the shape to have Luke up front with Alfie and Alex and have Albie drop into midfield. Apart from one or two players that have left or been on trial, this has been the strongest line up for a good few seasons. Goal threats spread well across the team as well. All of these could get pro deals in my view.
  • edited September 2017
    @Sid James Fan Club something like these?

Harvey
    Birch | Nwosu | Pollard | Zemura
    Carey | Dempsey | Sarpong Wiredu |Doughty
    Morgan
    Willis

Harvey
    Dempsey | Sarpong Wiredu | Morgan
    Carey | Willis | Doughty
  • Cheers @Sid James Fan Club

Will be interesting to dig this thread up in a few years time and see how many have made it.

That reads like a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 moving to 4-3-3

@Admin Can we change thie thread title and make this about the U18s this year? @AFKABartram @cabbles
  • Luke plays LW
  • edited September 2017
    Surely that'd be a new thread? This one was created purely for Carey
  • tommy, Luke plays up front or on the right - I've not seen him play on the left, not saying he cant though
  • Dazzler21 said:

@Sid James Fan Club something like these?

Harvey
    Carey | Dempsey | Sarpong Wiredu |Doughty
    Morgan
    Willis

Harvey
    Dempsey | Sarpong Wiredu | Morgan
    Carey | Willis | Doughty
    Cheers ! Perfect
  • I've heard good things about Jeremy Sarmiento but also he is in high demand...and it might be hard to hold on to him