Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players you didnt rate yet proved you wrong?

Following on from the theme of the other thread thought I'd start this one... Talking about players we've signed that everyone has thought "meh" yet has gone on to have a really good career in a Charlton shirt.

i.e. For me the obvious choice is Kermorgant; Remember listening to an interview he did on Charlton Live just after he signed and even he aura he gave off made me think: "What the hell have we signed here" as from memory he basically said something along the likes off; I think I'm a Striker but not sure.

Over the summer was definitely uninspired with the choices of Fosu and Clarke yet have been really impressed whilst I expected nothing from Ahmed Kashi

Comments

• Kermogant - no other signing comes close. He seemed to have been written off when he came to us.

Morrison was another player from that time who delivered far more than I expected.
  • Dont know if it was because he came from Oldham or whether it was because he was only 21 at the time yet never expected much from Dale Stephens either when we first signed him... thought he'd been signed as a bit part player
  • I remember Wiggins' first game against Bournemouth. He was pretty bad (may have been nerves kicking in with all the booing from the Bournemouth fans).

However, my god did he kick on.
  • John Robinson.

Won me over big time. Even went up to him to apologise after previously slagging him off.
  • Lawrie Wilson
  • Lawrie Wilson. Thought he was toilet and got so angry at him in that game against palace which was I think the first time I saw him play and was miles away from solly's quality.

The bloke became one of the most consistent and reliable players we had though.
  • edited September 2017
    There are three that spring to mind.....all with the same role and similar style of play.
    It wasn't until they had been around for a while that you came to appreciate the value they gave to the side......all knew how to get under the oppos skin with tenacity and tenacious single mindedness to repeatedly break them down.......all as good without the ball as with it
    They are.......
    Kish.
    George Shipley.
    Keith Jones.
  • Tal Ben Haim , thought he was going to be a disaster when we got him.
    Turns out he was actually quality at that level.
  • Where are all those Scottish football fans who told us Magennis was rubbish?
  • edited September 2017

Where are all those Scottish football fans who told us Magennis was rubbish?

It's only a wild guess but I'm gonna say..........................Scotland!
  • Sponsored links:

Definitely hold my hands up; thought that he'd be a poor signing
    Laddick01 said:

Tal Ben Haim , thought he was going to be a disaster when we got him.
    Turns out he was actually quality at that level.

I too thought he'd be more of a Roger Johnson (second coming) type signing

To be fair, he did drop a couple of levels when signing for Charlton.
  • Clarke, as I thought he was just brought in to cover Reeves when he signs, but were we wrong

Same could be said for Dodoo then...? ;)

Same could be said for Dodoo then...? ;)
    it could but I am firmly in the dodoo is dogshit camp so it wont be me saying it.
  • edited September 2017
    My worst bloomer was Richard Rufus.

I saw him in an away Kent Cup match against Margate c 1994 and this tall skinny lad looked like Bambi on ice and as if a strong sea breeze would blow him over. Alongside him was Linvoy Primus, built like the proverbial outhouse, and his physical attributes only served to accentuate what I perceived to be Rufus' deficiencies.

How wrong I was! Once he filled out a little Rufus developed into arguably the best centre half I've seen play for Charlton since my first match in early 1963.
  • For me, Jay Dasilva.

Saw him in the Millwall game last year and he looked a mile away from first team football. Obviously needed that game time to settle down, but looked like a fish out of water at first imo