Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New VOTV138 - out Saturday, October 14th v Doncaster Rovers

edited October 2017 in General Charlton
New issue out tomorrow. Order it at votvonline.com by 3pm today and we'll get it in the post tonight.

Comments

• @Airman Brown do we get a red letter when our subs run out or does it auto renew?
  • Should auto renew if on PayPal, but if it doesn't I send people an email to let them know.
  • Some good thought provoking articles....
  • edited October 2017
    Loved the Legends article. Well done Rick.
  • Half way through and loving it.
  • Reading that there's still interest in a takeover was the best bit ......................................... mind you the rest was pretty good as well :smile:
  • Great read as ever, legends article - I still find it sad (not meaning to be patronising in anyway) that Super Clive now spends his days working in the factory in Sunderland. Not sure how much related to gambling, being unlucky with timing or something else but he was a part of so many fantastic memories I have, I feel like having a whip round!
  • Rob7Lee said:

Great read as ever, legends article - I still find it sad (not meaning to be patronising in anyway) that Super Clive now spends his days working in the factory in Sunderland. Not sure how much related to gambling, being unlucky with timing or something else but he was a part of so many fantastic memories I have, I feel like having a whip round!

The injury that put an early finish to his career was of course tragic for all concerned.
    However, had he continued and earned more money it would simply have meant the bookies earned more as well......the more he earned the more they got and he almost certainly would still have ended up in the factory where he now finds himself.
    What a fabulous player he was for us though......silky skills, an eye for goal, good engine, cool temperament, excellent ability in link up play and holding the ball up (when necessary)......yes, he had it all and one feels he would have graced the Premier League with us for a fair while.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Great read as ever, legends article - I still find it sad (not meaning to be patronising in anyway) that Super Clive now spends his days working in the factory in Sunderland. Not sure how much related to gambling, being unlucky with timing or something else but he was a part of so many fantastic memories I have, I feel like having a whip round!

It came as a surprise that he's working shifts at a car factory but the reasons for that could be manifold and his lot could be far far worse, as experienced by many ex players.
    The fact he schlepped all the way down and back in a day between shifts just to be involved is a measure of the man.
    His gambling issues were well known, he earned very nicely at Charlton at the time, but not the life changing sums even moderate players can receive today. It's easy to speculate that he's working cos he has to. It wasn't that long ago that most players, even from top flight sides, worked relatively mundane jobs post football. He might just be working cos he likes the routine, comradeship, or needs the occupation rather than just the money.
    He had a football career most of us could only ever dream about. Unemployment in the northeast is much higher than hereabouts and SCM is in work, his situation may not be all that bad after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

It came as a surprise that he's working shifts at a car factory but the reasons for that could be manifold and his lot could be far far worse, as experienced by many ex players.
    The fact he schlepped all the way down and back in a day between shifts just to be involved is a measure of the man.
    His gambling issues were well known, he earned very nicely at Charlton at the time, but not the life changing sums even moderate players can receive today. It's easy to speculate that he's working cos he has to. It wasn't that long ago that most players, even from top flight sides, worked relatively mundane jobs post football. He might just be working cos he likes the routine, comradeship, or needs the occupation rather than just the money.
    He had a football career most of us could only ever dream about. Unemployment in the northeast is much higher than hereabouts and SCM is in work, his situation may not be all that bad after all.
    I hope you're right
  • edited October 2017
    How the hell did the IDIOT Dazzler miss this thread :wink::lol:

Cheers Ben, found it before my tongue in cheek tag at Airman earlier...

Still the above stands. I have never noticed these coming up before it was purely when I searched VOTV that I saw it :expressionless:
  • That picture on p28, Chris Parkes is looking very worried that his missus has been reduced to eating her fingers because she couldn't get enough vol-au-vents at half-time.
  • Rob7Lee said: