Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

F1 in USA

What the f**k have I just watched?
Waiting for the race to start and they showed some cheesy prick announcing all the drivers like he’s at some crappy overhyped boxing match.
Do they always do this? I’m kind of assuming it’s an American thing (no offense meant to our resident Americans) but it’s fucking cringeworthy. I was hiding behind a cushion because I’m so embarrassed for everyone involved.
Appalling. Just so incredibly mortifyingly appalling.

Comments

• I could see how that was going to go after about 8 seconds so turned it off. Is it safe to go back yet?
  • Yep. The arsehole has stopped.
    They said he’s called Michael Buffer. Is that someone famous? I’m guessing he works for the wrestling people. Either that or he’s PJ or Duncan because he actually said “Let’s get ready to rumble”.
    They said he’s called Michael Buffer. Is that someone famous? I’m guessing he works for the wrestling people. Either that or he’s PJ or Duncan because he actually said “Let’s get ready to rumble”.

Legendary boxing announcer. Usually earns a $1m a show for the big fights. He coined that phrase.

Legendary boxing announcer. Usually earns a $1m a show for the big fights. He coined that phrase.
    $1m a pop - wow thats my kinda gig.

Did he really?
    Worth $400m apparently.
    Fantastic interview with President Clinton, really insightful and informative! The worlds media following him around, shoving microphones in his face to catch his wonderful words! I mean, in the modern world we live in (like with all the Weinstein stuff), HTF does he get away with it? We all know about his dodgy past; financial, sexual and even rumours of worse. So why does everyone treat him like some sort of deity?
  • edited October 2017

Yep. The arsehole has stopped.

Yeah he's the "Let's get ready to rumble" guy.

I haven't seen the announcements, but going on your description, the answer to the question of "do they always do this kind of thing?" is probably, yeah, sounds pretty standard.

Obviously it's not always him, but super over-hyped announcements are pretty common in American sports. It's all a part of the manufactured atmospheric stuff that goes on, which is a shame because American sport(s) crowds can be brilliant.
  • I think F1 is trying to make themselves more relevant in The U.S., and they think this crap will appeal, I think they're missing the mark. Would imagine there'll be more people watching the Nascar race, and definitely the NFL as there's a full schedule competing for the TV audience. Weather's good too, so a lot of people won't be watching anything.
  • Argh shame for Vestappen!!!
  • To jazz it up they have got Usain Bolt to do the post race interviews.
  • Hamilton is, like him or not, an incredible sporting talent of this generation.

Yes he has a great car today - but then again Bottas did naff all with it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    Nothing but respect for Hamilton's sporting achievements. He has the best car in terms of reliability, I'm no F1 expert but I believe the Ferrari is actually quicker. However he is the best driver; that's why Mercedes employ him.

I thought when I heard this that Hamilton & Vettel were going to get out of their cars & start grappling with each other......which may have made the following 100 mins a bot more enjoyable.
  • It was so embarrassing......I could have sworn I heard Hamilton say something along the lines of.....“what’s all this rubbish” when he was introduced.
    The crowd didn’t seem too enamoured with it either and appeared not to respond very well.
    It was akin to an American wrestling event.......I don’t think we’ll see it repeated.
    What next.....The Ryder Cup!
  • On the contrary. I thought Hamilton totally embraced the introduction and was the only driver who actually interacted with the crowd. As he walked out he shouted to them "How you all doing?" They loved it. He owns the US Grand Prix having won Austin four or five times. He is probably the only F1 driver the yanks know outside of Mario Andretti. He also took over the embarrassing Usain Bolt post race interview by giving really long articulate answers to the poor questions. Not Bolts fault btw, he is an ICON! But not the man to have to conduct such events.
  • That was naff in the extreme. The Trailer trash in their American Eagle t-shirts must have loved it (if they'd been watching of course - which they weren't).

Good though to see Vettel and the Dancing Donkeys screw up. Again.

• Riviera said:

On the contrary. I thought Hamilton totally embraced the introduction and was the only driver who actually interacted with the crowd. As he walked out he shouted to them "How you all doing?" They loved it. He owns the US Grand Prix having won Austin four or five times. He is probably the only F1 driver the yanks know outside of Mario Andretti. He also took over the embarrassing Usain Bolt post race interview by giving really long articulate answers to the poor questions. Not Bolts fault btw, he is an ICON! But not the man to have to conduct such events.

I thought he went along with it more than actually embraced it.
    As I said, I thought I heard him indirectly (though subtly), have a sly side swipe at the set up.....I recorded the whole program, so I’ll take a look later and get back to you on it.
  • I missed the naff introductions but the race was a cracker, probably the best I've seen in quite some time.
  • Riviera said:

On the contrary. I thought Hamilton totally embraced the introduction and was the only driver who actually interacted with the crowd. As he walked out he shouted to them "How you all doing?" They loved it. He owns the US Grand Prix having won Austin four or five times. He is probably the only F1 driver the yanks know outside of Mario Andretti. He also took over the embarrassing Usain Bolt post race interview by giving really long articulate answers to the poor questions. Not Bolts fault btw, he is an ICON! But not the man to have to conduct such events.

is it a bit like the world cup, win it three times and you get to keep it?

• Bruce Buffer is better.
  • Went to this race last year and it was brilliant - a fantastic circuit and very well organised for the fans. Think they added a bit more "razzmatazz" this year...
  • Sponsored links:

• Formula 1 as a whole needs a shakeup, whether that's an entirely new direction for the cars, more varied circuits, or rules designed to bring the cars closer together, I'm not sure. Verstappen started 16th on the grid today and finished like a minute ahead of 6th place, the first of the non Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes cars.

In fact, it's like an endurance race out there now wereby the top 3 cars are the equivalent of the LMP1 class, and the rest of the field are like GT cars
  • sam3110 said:

Formula 1 as a whole needs a shakeup, whether that's an entirely new direction for the cars, more varied circuits, or rules designed to bring the cars closer together, I'm not sure. Verstappen started 16th on the grid today and finished like a minute ahead of 6th place, the first of the non Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes cars.

In fact, it's like an endurance race out there now wereby the top 3 cars are the equivalent of the LMP1 class, and the rest of the field are like GT cars

The grids remind me of F1 back in the 80s (regarded as a golden era by many) when you had turbo and normally aspirated racing each other. And even amongst the turbo cars you could have a three second spread.

And I still insist the sound (or lack of) is ripping the soul from the sport
  • Riviera said:

I took another look at it and I’m now not so sure that he mumbled something derogatory. He certainly mumbled something but I concede that I don’t know what he was saying.
  • Riviera said:

I took another look at it and I’m now not so sure that he mumbled something derogatory. He certainly mumbled something but I concede that I don’t know what he was saying.
    Did you have the subtitles on?