Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

HMRC left red-faced after tax pursuit of ex-owner of Charlton Athletic Football Club collapses

Comments

• FFS. The article says he "lived in" Cyprus and Dubai at the time in question but for sure I recall somebody (not sure if on here or in person) telling me that they had been to his house and seen the number of signed football shirts he had framed on the walls. Mostly Chelsea related. I think it was in Surrey. It certainly wasn't Dubai!!

As I've said ad nauseam: HMRC. Not fit for purpose.
  • edited October 2017
    I think he lives/lived in Chelsfield, but I don't know over which time period. The same road as Gus Poyet wasn't it ?
  • i used to know his son pretty well when we were kids, used to live out dartford heath way, lost touch over the years think hes a reasonably well known dj nowadays in the tech house scene.
  • Maybe they could look into Katrien's P45
  • He used to live at the top end of worlds end lane in chelsfield about half a mile from Gus Poyet and Mick McCarthy who both lived in the same road.
  • Can someone copy and paste the article.

The former co-owner of Charlton Athletic Football Club has fended off a probe by the taxman, in a major embarrassment for HMRC.

Tony Jimenez has lived in Cyprus and Dubai since 2004 but has faced an investigation by the Revenue which began in 2012.

He has now successfully overturned HMRC demands for information about his tax affairs in the High Court.

Experts who advised 54-year-old Jimenez claim it is a wider victory for expats that could put thousands of people’s cash beyond the reach of the Exchequer.

HMRC had obtained an order from the Tax Chamber for the tycoon – who has also been involved in Newcastle United Football Club and is locked in a lawsuit with the club’s owner Mike Ashley – to hand over information on his affairs from 2004 to 2013. Failure to comply can lead to fines of up to £1,000 a day.

But lawyers for Jimenez have had the decision overturned – meaning his business can remain concealed from prying eyes.

In a ruling seen by the Mail, High Court judge Mr Justice Charles said: ‘The taxpayer notice given to him was not lawfully given and should be quashed.’ Adding insult to injury, HMRC was also ordered to pay Jimenez’s costs. The tycoon’s barristers argued he should not have to provide information about the period in question because he lived abroad and was therefore covered by a foreign tax regime.

Jimenez said: ‘For a long time, HMRC have held the view that distance was no object to their powers meaning any expats were in HMRC’s sights long after they had left.

‘This ruling shows that is fundamentally not the case and that HMRC’s powers actually stop at the UK border,’ he said.

Born in Brixton, South London, the businessman hails from a Spanish family and made a name for himself as a football agent with a gold-plated contacts book.

He co-owned Charlton from 2011 to 2013 and is no stranger to the British courts. He was sued by former Chelsea and England footballer Dennis Wise – once a close friend – over failure to invest £500,000 of Wise’s money in a golf course in France. Newcastle owner Ashley is taking Jimenez to court for £3.8million with similar claims.

Jimenez denies any wrongdoing and the case continues.

A HMRC spokesman said: ‘We are disappointed by the judgment and are considering whether to appeal.

HMRC left red-faced after tax pursuit of ex-owner of Charlton Athletic Football Club collapses
    By James Burton City Correspondent For The Daily Mail
    PUBLISHED: 00:50, 25 October 2017 | UPDATED: 09:46, 25 October 2017

Tony Jimenez has faced investigation by the Revenue since 2012, but has overturned demands for information in the High Court

The former co-owner of Charlton Athletic Football Club has fended off a probe by the taxman, in a major embarrassment for HMRC.

Tony Jimenez has lived in Cyprus and Dubai since 2004 but has faced an investigation by the Revenue which began in 2012.

He has now successfully overturned HMRC demands for information about his tax affairs in the High Court.

Experts who advised 54-year-old Jimenez claim it is a wider victory for expats that could put thousands of people’s cash beyond the reach of the Exchequer.

HMRC had obtained an order from the Tax Chamber for the tycoon – who has also been involved in Newcastle United Football Club and is locked in a lawsuit with the club’s owner Mike Ashley – to hand over information on his affairs from 2004 to 2013. Failure to comply can lead to fines of up to £1,000 a day.

But lawyers for Jimenez have had the decision overturned – meaning his business can remain concealed from prying eyes.

In a ruling seen by the Mail, High Court judge Mr Justice Charles said: ‘The taxpayer notice given to him was not lawfully given and should be quashed.’ Adding insult to injury, HMRC was also ordered to pay Jimenez’s costs. The tycoon’s barristers argued he should not have to provide information about the period in question because he lived abroad and was therefore covered by a foreign tax regime.

Jimenez said: ‘For a long time, HMRC have held the view that distance was no object to their powers meaning any expats were in HMRC’s sights long after they had left.

‘This ruling shows that is fundamentally not the case and that HMRC’s powers actually stop at the UK border,’ he said.

Born in Brixton, South London, the businessman hails from a Spanish family and made a name for himself as a football agent with a gold-plated contacts book.

He co-owned Charlton from 2011 to 2013 and is no stranger to the British courts. He was sued by former Chelsea and England footballer Dennis Wise – once a close friend – over failure to invest £500,000 of Wise’s money in a golf course in France. Newcastle owner Ashley is taking Jimenez to court for £3.8million with similar claims.

Jimenez denies any wrongdoing and the case continues.

A HMRC spokesman said: ‘We are disappointed by the judgment and are considering whether to appeal.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5013441/HMRC-left-red-faced-pursuit-tycoon-collapses.html#ixzz4wibCJAmu
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• FFS. The article says he "lived in" Cyprus and Dubai at the time in question but for sure I recall somebody (not sure if on here or in person) telling me that they had been to his house and seen the number of signed football shirts he had framed on the walls. Mostly Chelsea related. I think it was in Surrey. It certainly wasn't Dubai!!

As I've said ad nauseam: HMRC. Not fit for purpose.

Don't you have a house in the UK, but reside on Prague? It's entirely possible for that to be accurate for Jimenez too.

I understand, as we both pay taxes in our countries of residence, if we return to the UK we can't be asked to pay tax on that income again, surely anything within the UK should still be fully taxable though?

Not that I believe HMRC are fit for purpose
  • I suspect Prague pays his UK taxes as well
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if he lives in Northern Cyprus.
  • edited October 2017
    Addickted said:

I suspect Prague pays his UK taxes as well

I believe he does, as a point of principal, I imagine, rather than out of legal necessity.
  • I wonder if he lives in Northern Cyprus.

Has he changed his name from Asil Nadir?
  • edited October 2017

Addickted said:

I believe he does, as a point of principal, I imagine, rather than out of legal necessity.
    He's one of those Fillantropissed geezers

• Addickted said:

Addickted said:

He's one of those Fillantropissed geezers

That's not how you spell 'metropolitan elite' you know....
  • edited October 2017
    Addickted said:

That's a myth
  • Good luck to him, looks like his lawyers have earned their money.
  • edited October 2017
    It must, surely have been down to an argument with two strands: his residential status and/or whether there were any UK earnings.

Broadly the HMRC rules state:

Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they don’t pay UK tax on their foreign income.....

You’re automatically resident if either:

you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year or your only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year.

You’re automatically non-resident if either:

you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you haven’t been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
    you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working

Now, we know he had (or had use of) a UK-registered Range Rover with the signage changed from Range Rover to Les Bordes (his golf club). (Did it have personal plates too?) It was often in the West Stand car park. It's an odd thing to do: have a car here if you're not here to use it much?
  • @cafcfan has nailed the rules, as I would expect him to.

I pay UK tax on the rental of my old house, and on the modest savings income I get. I also used to have a ltd company, and a small salary from that, to help keep contributions to a private pension, going but I closed that down. It's clear that I am clearly non-resident for UK tax purposes as I only spend on average about 30 days each year in the UK. But, interestingly, for the last few years, HMRC have required on my tax return not just the number of days, but the dates of the visits. I bloody hope they made Jiminez do that. How many home games was he good for each season, I wonder.

There is also apart from residency, a domicile test, where they look at your overall life in tangible terms and ask, which country does he or she have a bigger "footprint" in. I can't remember though, when that becomes an issue.

Given that we know where he lived, shouldn't we grass him up? :smile:

As an aside, it's interesting to note ‘For a long time, HMRC have held the view that distance was no object to their powers meaning any expats were in HMRC’s sights long after they had left.

‘This ruling shows that is fundamentally not the case and that HMRC’s powers actually stop at the UK border,’

because that isn't the case with US citizens. They are pursued relentlessly all over the world for US tax. I feel quite sorry for the Americans out here (and they are quite jealous of me). They have a tax return hell each year.
  • Sponsored links:

• One thing for sure, HMRC will not be chasing Duchatalet.
  • So even IF he can show non-residency, how has he still dodged disclosing his UK earnings.....

America's double taxation laws just seem like daylight robbery to me.
  • So even IF he can show non-residency, how has he still dodged disclosing his UK earnings.....

Better than China's double posting laws