Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has there ever been a match at the Valley where the away fans outnumbered the home?

I raised this question in another post of mine as a side comment but thought it worthy of its own thread.

Would be interested to know the answer.

Incidentally I am only talking about the Valley and not Shithurst or Upton Park where I imagine it would have happened on several occasions!

Comments

• It would have to be a game where a big club was getting promoted at the end of season..I have been going since 1967 and cant recall an example at the valley.
    Most memorable at upton park when liecester bought about 10000 for a promotion party and we went on to beat them and spoil thingds
  • Luton at home in the fa cup 10/11 season?
  • edited October 2017
    We were definitely ounumbered in the games where we beat Spurs 4-1 and Chelsea 4-0 in about '75 & '76.
  • We were definitely ounumbered in the games where we beat Spurs 4-1 and Chelsea 4-0 in about '75 & '76.

I was going to say Chelsea.

Probably more Chelsea in the Covered End than there were Charlton!
  • I was at both the chelsea 4-0 and spurs 4-1 .whilst there were a lot of their "lads" I think we were spread out and outnumbered their supporters.Never really know now though will we.
  • edited October 2017
    Possibly W Ham as well in The League Cup around the same time.
  • timken said:

It would have to be a game where a big club was getting promoted at the end of season..I have been going since 1967 and cant recall an example at the valley.
    Most memorable at upton park when liecester bought about 10000 for a promotion party and we went on to beat them and spoil thingds

Was there too. Lee and Whyte with the goals of if i remember correctly.
  • timken said:

It would have to be a game where a big club was getting promoted at the end of season..I have been going since 1967 and cant recall an example at the valley.

Crowd for Leicester was 15k, so I reckon about 8k Leicester there.
  • I was at that West Ham match in 76. Dont remember there being more West Ham. Am I right in thinking a Charlton fan was killed after the match?
  • timken said:

I was at both the chelsea 4-0 and spurs 4-1 .whilst there were a lot of their "lads" I think we were spread out and outnumbered their supporters.Never really know now though will we.

No chance. We had about 10,000 fans in those days and there were 30,000 there.
    I went all round the ground on both matches and played spot the Charlton fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was at that West Ham match in 76. Dont remember there being more West Ham. Am I right in thinking a Charlton fan was killed after the match?

Someone got thrown over a wall in Charlton Church Lane, but was that the night a W Ham fan got killed at New Cross tube ?
  • Last home game against Scumwall in 1972 -I would say we were outnumbered
  • edited October 2017
    There was the game against Sunderland when the papers were saying they were bringing 15,000 down for the match. If it was any where near that figure in the end they certainly would have outnumbered us. Didnt stop the charlton fans piling into them at the end of the game, across the pitch if I recall correctly
  • Luton at home in the fa cup 10/11 season?

I was at that game and don't remember masses of Luton there. Not that I am arguing with you. Most away fans at the valley I can recall (although still considerably less than there were home fans, the purpose of this thread) was Orient in the cup in 2006. They had the whole jimmy seed and a good third to half of the east stand.
  • edited October 2017
    I think the year when Brighton went up to the old first division they may have outnumbered us. They had the open end and it seemed like a lot of the east terrace but everybody was mixed in together so it would be hard to call either way.
  • timken said:

I was at both the chelsea 4-0 and spurs 4-1 .whilst there were a lot of their "lads" I think we were spread out and outnumbered their supporters.Never really know now though will we.

No chance. We had about 10,000 fans in those days and there were 30,000 there.
    I went all round the ground on both matches and played spot the Charlton fan.
    But there were also loads of neutrals/glory-hunters, e.g. my Dad, uncle, etc. And plenty of Charlton fans wary of shouting too much.
  • I think the year when Brighton went up to the old first division they may have outnumbered us. They had the open end and it seemed like a lot of the east terrace but everybody was mixed in together so it would be hard to call either way.

I doubt there were more Brighton. The attendance was 18,000 odd from memory and we would have had a minimum 10,000, probably about 13,000. This was the 4-3 game. One of my all time favourite Charlton games.

Someone got thrown over a wall in Charlton Church Lane, but was that the night a W Ham fan got killed at New Cross tube ?
    It was a millwall fan.
  • Wasn't there for the Chelsea game but the spurs game they filled the Covered end & but for a few odd pockets around the ground I would say that was that so no they didn't outnumber us. If anybody outnumbered the home support I would say it was Pompey in the FA Cup where there were allegedly 15000 on the south terrace. Strangely they didn't try to take the Covered End. Lots of trouble after the game tho !
  • Early 80s v Newcastle ... Keegans last game in London ... and Leeds around the same time i recall were big away following. As a kid they seemed daunting ...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    Mmmm.....think some of you are getting confused with being outnumbered in The Covered End and outnumbered in the entire ground.
    I myself can remember one or two instances where the former ‘may’ have been true but not the latter.
    Being outnumbered (or close to), in The Covered End may have led one or two posters to assume that it was the same throughout the ground, which I very much doubt was the case.
  • When we played Kettering in the FA Cup at Sellout Park, they brought 8000 fans, the attendance was 16001.
  • At Selhurst we played Kettering in the cup and they brought 8,000 odd fans and the crowd was 16,001!
  • At Selhurst we played Kettering in the cup and they brought 8,000 odd fans and the crowd was 16,001!

You can say that again.......oh sorry you just did.

Bollox, I was there and they didn’t ALL look odd...
  • OP did say "Incidentally I am only talking about the Valley and not Shithurst or Upton Park"

You can say that again.......oh sorry you just did.
    Great minds etc,
  • My work colleague, a Spurs fan, came with me to the Kettering match. I am claiming him as "the one". Not only in the crowd but we have been married for 27 years and now he is an Addick.
  • My work colleague, a Spurs fan, came with me to the Kettering match. I am claiming him as "the one". Not only in the crowd but we have been married for 27 years and now he is an Addick.

But two of my school friends came along and stood in the Kettering end so that makes 8,002 vs 7,999
  • In all of my years of watching Charlton, I would stick my neck out and say we’ve never been outnumbered by away fans except when we played Millwall in 1972. Several teams have taken the coveted end Spurs, Westham, Chelsea, Sheffield Wed, Leicester, Millwall. But apart from that night in April 72, no one has outnumbered the home Support.