Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stuck on you - Documentary on Football Stickers

For anyone who was forced to make their own shiny of the Wolves badge, laughed at Hamish McAlpine's Partick Thistle Perm or had dozens of Clive Whitehead swaps the year Brizzle City made the top league then this might be worth a watch, I dont think its a repeat.

ITV4 2245 tonight
Stuck On You: The Football Sticker Story

https://youtu.be/IisyMLgxvv0

Comments

• Most watch that tonight. World Cups for me were brought to life by the sticker albums - '78 was my starting point. Before then I remember the "coins" from the petrol garages but the sticker books really sealed it for me.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

For anyone who was forced to make their own shiny of the Wolves badge, laughed at Hamish McAlpine's Partick Thistle Perm or had dozens of Clive Whitehead swaps the year Brizzle City made the top league then this might be worth a watch, I dont think its a repeat.

ITV4 2245 tonight
    Stuck On You: The Football Sticker Story

https://youtu.be/IisyMLgxvv0

Got, got, got, don’t need, have 25 of him....
  • Does anyone remember the football cards of the 70s, I think they came with bubble gum packs?
  • One for the Hammers

Did they not have photoshop back then?
  • Nug said:

One for the Hammers

Or sun beds
  • Does anyone remember the football cards of the 70s, I think they came with bubble gum packs?

Yes, I've still got loads in the loft. Do you want to do any swaps ?
  • edited November 2017

Nug said:

One for the Hammers

Or sun beds
    Behave. Stick him on a sunbed and he'd curl up like a slug in a pile of salt

Yes, I've still got loads in the loft. Do you want to do any swaps ?
    I think the bubble gum will have aged better than some of the players ! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• clearing out my dads loft I have a load of old complete albums, mexico 86 anyone?!
  • edited November 2017
    Me and my mate always pissed ourselves at Motherwell goalie Stuart Rennie.

sr.jpg 20.8K
  • Never realised that football stickers got caught up in the dreadful Robert Maxwell empire
  • edited November 2017
    Joe Allon was the one we always laughed at. A dead ringer for Mike Smash from Smashie and Nicie.
  • Valley11 said:

Joe Allon was the one we always laughed at. A dead ringer for Mike Smash from Smashie and Nicie.

That was an 80’s badge if ever I saw one, awful in a cool way. Can’t say the same about the haircut though.
  • Good documentary?
  • Nug said:

Valley11 said:

That was an 80’s badge if ever I saw one, awful in a cool way. Can’t say the same about the haircut though.
    Pretty sure a gurning Peter Beardsley was two down from Allon. What a team.
  • Good documentary?

Yes

Briefly
    Pannini set up by an Italian news vender
    4 English men run the English franchise
    Maxwell buys English version
    They set up merlin
    Sell same for 50 million
    I think Maxwell bought the whole Panini company, which thankfully survived his ownership!
  • Sponsored links:

• There is a Charlton Athletic Panini Sticker History at https://addicks.wixsite.com/cafcprogs
  • Good documentary?

Yes

Briefly
    Pannini set up by an Italian news vender
    4 English men run the English franchise
    Maxwell buys English version
    They set up merlin
    Sell same for 50 million
    It was an excellent programme. Although getting from setting up Merlin to selling the company wasn't straightforward.

The four partners had re-mortgaged their homes to set up Merlin but, following writs that were served on the individuals by Maxwell's solicitors and pressure from the odious individual on wholesalers not to stock Merlin's products, they were within days of going bankrupt. But WWF, of all things, bought them time and Maxwell's death allowed Merlin to reach agreement with the PL. TOPPs then bought the company out for USD50m.
  • There is a Charlton Athletic Panini Sticker History at https://addicks.wixsite.com/cafcprogs

Along with the USA '94 album / Premier League '94 album the two Football League ones (95/96 and 96/97) are the main ones that I remember having as a kid - the Football League ones were definitely hard to find with stickers!!
  • edited November 2017

If people don't mind me posting my own site, there's also this collection of football cards featuring Charlton back to 1922. Not as well laid out as the excellent cafcprogs site but there are some good old ones on there, including the very rare squad page produced by FKS in the 1970s. http://www.doingthe92.com/display_card_team.asp?Step=431&ID=5

Great stuff!

The FKS pictures from 1970 demonstrate exactly what was discussed in the programme about their shoddy quality, with cut and paste heads and plain shirts

• Does anyone remember The Sun Soccer Stamps book?
  • Damn, I didn't see this thread yesterday. Hopefully it's on catch up. I loved football stickers. Argentina 78s by FKS, not Panini, was my way in. I have such fond memories of those that I bought some unopened planks from eBay a couple of years ago.
    I've got a complete Euro 80, a complete Division 1 1993 and a complete World Cup 2006. I've still got the swaps from the last two of those.
    I try not to make the mistake of working out what I've spent and prefer not to reflect on the fact that I'm obviously a troubled man-child attempting to live in the past.
  • Not stickers but anyone else remember pro-set cards in the late 80s?

I had about 30 Ian Ormandroyds

• One for the Hammers

The living dead.