Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Penalty/Sending Off

There has long been a debate about whether a teams player should be sent off and given a penalty which in fact punishes them twice.One solution could be is to see if the penalty is missed ,the offending player is sent off,but if scored the player just gets a yellow card.This would save punishing a team twice.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Rule was changed last season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575
  • I dont think a player would deliberately miss a penalty especially if it means winning a match
  • Suppose you're two/three goals up then perhaps you would miss it?
  • Or in the first minute?
  • The current rule (law?) works as far as I'm concerned and doesn't need further modification.
  • Derek1952 said:

I dont think a player would deliberately miss a penalty especially if it means winning a match

If the opposition don't have a recognised back up keeper and its early enough in the game then I reckon a number of teams would miss the penalty
  • What if the offending player is already on a yellow card, and the pen is scored? Also see link above about law has already been changed
  • If a penalty is awarded for denying a goalscoring opportunity, then as the goalscoring opportunity has effectively been re-instated, I do not see how someone should be sent off.
  • If a penalty is awarded for denying a goalscoring opportunity, then as the goalscoring opportunity has effectively been re-instated, I do not see how someone should be sent off.

Never thought of it that way. I suppose the red card is to deter players from making that decision, so that we see goals scored from open play, not penalties.