Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Seed - Personal recollections sought

Having retired back in October I'm now able to spend a little more time on my Jimmy Seed book project. I have been doing some research over the last couple of years, gathering material, facts and figures, photographs and memorabilia, as well as going through his scrapbooks and family photo albums. The scrapbooks contain many of the articles he wrote for newspapers, as well as many cartoons that he had published. There are also several family photo albums, showing Jimmy away from the world of football.

Of course there's also The Jimmy Seed Story (1957) and his lesser known Soccer From The Inside (1947), as well as a large amount of newspaper archive material now available online. The latter has already thrown up some interesting interviews and articles about Jimmy that offer some real insights, and previously unknown information. Of course we also have family anecdotes and info passed down from my parents.

Most of my personal memories of granddad come from the years when I lived in his house in Bromley (New Street Hill), although I had started at boarding school during the last year of his life. As you may know he passed away on the day England beat Mexico in the 1966 World Cup (16th July). I was still at school, and had to miss the funeral. I was 9 years & 10 months old at that time, so although we spend time together, including regularly going to the Den together to watch Millwall when he was a director, my understanding of him was limited because of my age. I was aware he was a well known figure of course, but to me he was just my granddad, first and foremost.

I know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone here at Charlton Life might connections with anyone who may have known Jimmy (or whose parents might have know him). He had quite a social life outside of football, and had friends who were not part of the family circle. Not too much was now known about that side of his life (other than the fact that my granny was wasn't too pleased about it). I've uncovered one close personal friend (who lived in Milk Street), and although it's unlikely that we'll find much more info after all these years, I thought there's no harm in trying. I also know he kept in touch with some of his fellow WW1 veterans, but as we know, many of those men weren't keen to discuss their experiences. I read one article about a vet who was visited in hospital by Jimmy out of the blue. The article says they spoke for a couple of hours, but the chap didn't want to reveal any details of what was said.

So I know his associates from that era are long dead now, but perhaps some letters, or photos, or even stories may have survived. If you do have any info, feel free to post here, or send me a DM if you prefer.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• There may still be a handful of old players around who may share some stories?
  • edited November 2017
    Brian Kinsey is a regular at The Valley I believe and Derek Ufton is still alive.

Eddie Firmani lives in America I think.

A recent Voice of The Valley contained an interview with Peter Croker's son.
  • Oggy Red said:

There may still be a handful of old players around who may share some stories?

I chatted to quite a few of the '47 cup winners when my mum opened/dedicated the Jimmy Seed Stand. Their relationships with JS would have been very much manager/player, but interesting nonetheless. I wish I'd had a tape recorder that day!
  • edited November 2017
    Regarding his war record @SE7toSG3 will know far more than me but you maybe able to obtain his war record if you know his regiment, service number etc. There could even be an official battalion diary although it was only 'officers' rather than 'men' who got mentioned by name unless something really exceptional happened.

The above obviously won't be as good as speaking to participants but at least you might be able to get a general idea of where he went and what he did.
  • LenGlover said:

Regarding his war record @SE7toSG3 will know far more than me but you maybe able to obtain his war record if you know his regiment, service number etc. There could even be an official battalion diary although it was only 'officers' rather than 'men' who got mentioned by name unless something really exceptional happened.

The above obviously won't be as good as speaking to participants but at least you might be able to get a general idea of where he went and what he did.

Do already have a fair amount of detail about his war record. Dates he was gassed etc etc.
    Very happy to say @SE7toSG3 is collaborating on that section of the book.
  • Thanks Len, Jim and I are already speaking about that, he was gassed during the German Operation Strandfest at Niuwport, a very interesting and under researched phase of the war.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Thanks Len, Jim and I are already speaking about that, he was gassed during the German Operation Strandfest at Niuwport, a very interesting and under researched phase of the war.

And at Valenciennes, right at the end of the war.
  • I saw a film once and it said he was transferred into the signals, a cushy job, so he could play for his regiment.

but check it with @SE7toSG3 for accuracy.

• I saw a film once and it said he was transferred into the signals, a cushy job, so he could play for his regiment.

but check it with @SE7toSG3 for accuracy.

Oi thats Royal Corps of Signals to you and as Captain Darling once said 'life isnt easy in the woman auxiliary balloon corps'
  • Checked out the two "memories are made of this" booklets and there are two mentions from players.

Peter Croker unhappy that Seed stopped him winning an England cap (although the source is a journalist) and Charlie Revell having a visit from Seed who was trying to stop him playing for Wrexham v Man Utd as JS wanted him to play for Charlton. Revell was in the RAF at the time, during WW2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still managed to get himself gassed twice. Bloody careless. Unless he was looking for some time in the cushy field hospital of course.
  • edited November 2017
    I don't know i it's any use to you, but there's a little description here (pp18-9) of Seed's wartime experiences. I suspect it'll be stuff you already know though.

https://issuu.com/castrust/docs/castrust_6_for_web
  • JamesSeed said:

Oggy Red said:

I chatted to quite a few of the '47 cup winners when my mum opened/dedicated the Jimmy Seed Stand. Their relationships with JS would have been very much manager/player, but interesting nonetheless. I wish I'd had a tape recorder that day!
    Get in touch with Chris Parkes, he can sort out a Directors Box Pass for the day where Brian Kinsey is along with Derek Ufton normally seated
  • JohnnyH2 said:

JamesSeed said:

Oggy Red said:

Get in touch with Chris Parkes, he can sort out a Directors Box Pass for the day where Brian Kinsey is along with Derek Ufton normally seated
    Hmm, I'm sure Sue would be delighted. I'm a traitor, remember.