Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Just as well, he wouldn’t pass a medical anywhere else!
  • Got to love Solls. Mr Charlton.
  • Reckon he could get up to 400 appearances... Might even get close to Keith Peacock if he can manage his fitness.

Its not like he's having to miss Tuesday games these days
  • As much as I like Solly, if it wasn't for the medical issue surely he'd have been off?
  • Talal said:

As much as I like Solly, if it wasn't for the medical issue surely he'd have been off?

Oh god yeah he was lower Premier League standard for me at one stage of his career
  • 250 games is a great achievement, and a rare one these days, especially with the turbulence over the last few years
  • Will never forget Blackpool away, my seat was perfect, as soon as it left his boot itvwas always going in
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised he had only played in 4 fa cup games
  • Surprised he had only played in 4 fa cup games

Yes, a very low figure, I assume he's been rested for most of the 1st and 2nd round matches (and indeed the League Cup matches)
  • I had a conversation with Johnny Humphrey in crossbars a couple of years ago and he said Solly 's injury was a blessing in disguise as he would not pass a medical at another club,therefore enabling us to keep hold of him.

Turns out he was correct as he is still playing for us.
    Long may it continue.
  • Wants to end career here

What on Charlton Life? There'll be some upset people if he lands a plum mod role on the back of his playing career.
  • Stig said:

Wants to end career here

What on Charlton Life? There'll be some upset people if he lands a plum mod role on the back of his playing career.
    Fails the height test.

Having said that so does our leader.
  • Talal said:

As much as I like Solly, if it wasn't for the medical issue surely he'd have been off?

Exactly my feeling. Weren't West Ham very close to signing were it no for the issues? Not that I would have begrudged him a move, he has been a great servant but it does feel like he is playing up to the fans a bit with that interview.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unpopular opinion but he should not be club captain. Wish we could sign a right back who was a bit faster and better at attacking. Sentimental Solly is past it already.

I agree he shouldn't be club captain, but disagree that he's past it already

I do worry whether Solly would now be good enough in the Championship if we were promoted, but that's a problem for the future...
  • Stig said:

Wants to end career here

Fails the height test.

Having said that so does our leader.
    "We're only 5'3"....
  • I had a conversation with Johnny Humphrey in crossbars a couple of years ago and he said Solly 's injury was a blessing in disguise as he would not pass a medical at another club,therefore enabling us to keep hold of him.

Turns out he was correct as he is still playing for us.
    Long may it continue.

Absolute legend is Humphrey.

The best Charlton right back in my lifetime.
  • edited November 2017
    Now to be unusually negative and point out, he's only still with us for 3 reasons.

1. his injury means no one else will take a risk on him.

2. we're playing at his level right now - he's declining in effectiveness year on year.

3. In spite of 1 & 2 he's still our Chris Solly and to sell or cut him loose would royally fuck off the remaining fan base and likely cost the club the few deluded fans that believe in RD still.
  • Unpopular opinion but he should not be club captain. Wish we could sign a right back who was a bit faster and better at attacking. Sentimental Solly is past it already.

I agree he shouldn't be club captain, but disagree that he's past it already

I do worry whether Solly would now be good enough in the Championship if we were promoted, but that's a problem for the future...
    I'd question whether a lot of our squad are good enough for the Championship including Solly.

How many times has he actually been beaten for pace this season?
  • Mr Consistent.

Solly rarely has a poor game so finding exceptional moments is difficult. The goal at Blackpool is one already mentioned. One game I remember him for was away at Reading when we won 1-0 under Bob Peeters back in our Championship days. Solly was superb that day and even supplied a pinpoint cross for Igor Vetokele to score our goal. I was convinced a Prem club would buy him in the January at a discounted rate in true Charlton style.

He is a modern Peter Reeves in the sense of being a highly talented young player sadly thwarted by injury.

We must enjoy him while we still can.

The enduring Solly image for me is of a little man snapping around far bigger men like a Jack Russell on speed and coming away with the ball. Such determination.

Love the bloke
  • One of my favourite Solly memories was from when he first started playing in the first team. I remember he got a really bad injury having only made a few appearances for us, and was out for a long time.

When he recovered he then came on as a last minute substitute in a home game, just to get some minutes back on the pitch, and he made 2-3 absolutely crunching tackles, completely fearless. You'd have never thought he was just returning from a bad injury. Made even more surreal by the fact that he was a little bloke and everyone else around him was about half a foot taller!