Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ernie the Edge - How to create the best Charlton day out

edited November 2017 in General Charlton
My mate Ernie the Edge ( a Plymouth fan) very ably hosted me and the Missus for the weekend , so that he and I could enjoy the Plymouth away game. This included being a guest at the Plymouth FanFest which was good fun . I am reciprocating and hosting him and his other half for the return fixture in March. The ladies will find something sensible to do for the day whilst we enjoy ourselves at the footy. I would like to show him a really good time. We both like beer ....a lot

So my question is this. - If you had to create the best Charlton day out ( for this fixture) starting with breakfast and finishing late into the night , what would it look like

Comments

• I took some Americans with me once. We met at Greenwich station, walked down through Greenwich Park. Stopped in the Plume for a couple and something to eat. Caught a cab to the ground. Watched the match. Train back to Maze Hill, a couple in the Trafalgar then dinner in the Old Brewery and then finished off at a pub near the station.

Great day had. We won I think.
  • Meet them at Paddington,and get the Bakerloo line to Embankment. (If the women want to go separate ways early doors, they can jump off at Oxford Circus and go shopping, etc). Hop on the River Bus to Greenwich, giving them the full breadth of your London knowledge as you sail down the Thames. Enjoy a pub lunch in the Cutty Sark. Catch the bus down to Charlton, watch the game, then train back up to Charing Cross, a few beers in one of the pubs around the north side of The Strand (Harp, Marquis, Nell, or similar) where you can meet the wives, then you can put your guests on the tube at Trafalgar Square for them to get to Paddington and you can get home from Charing Cross - sorted?
  • Greenwich is the place to start.
    Fill up on Weatherspoons breakfast and then take in a pubcrawl from Greenwich down the Valley.
    Wander back to Greenwich and get a Thames clipper up the WestEnd, have a munch, sink some beers and finish it off in a peep show.
  • Dont forget Anchor in Hope pre match and Pelton Arms post match, and also Up The Creek to round the evening off and the ladies can join you there.
  • Dont forget Anchor in Hope pre match and Pelton Arms post match, and also Up The Creek to round the evening off and the ladies can join you there.

After a days shopping in Woolwich perhaps?

After a days shopping in Woolwich perhaps?
    No. Why?
  • Just a thought, keeping it on a local theme. The op asks for a Charlton day out.
    I’d opt for Charlton house, the White swan, down to the Valley then an evening at the O2.
  • Just a thought, keeping it on a local theme. The op asks for a Charlton day out.
    I’d opt for Charlton house, the White swan, down to the Valley then an evening at the O2.

On this point I'm sure The Great Cardigan will advocate a visit to the museum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Using the train has to be involved for a true Cafc experience
  • Meet in City Cross Keyes Wetherspoons, couple of early ones combined with breakfast. Down to Bank DLR to Royal Dock, cable car to O2 Ariel view of the valley on a clear day. Walk to the Anchor along the front, few more pints, up to ground, visit the Liberal for some Atmoshpere, then in to the game.
  • Woolwich has the UKs first ever McDonalds, no London experience is complete without it.
  • Liking what i'm hearing !!!
  • holyjo said:

Liking what i'm hearing !!!

Just take it easy in The Millers.
  • edited November 2017
    Just wondering if you can see the valley on that cable car thingy that swings over London, might be better than being stuck inside the valley, watching the football, after a few jars , i'm sure it will lose its swingyness.
  • Just wondering if you can see the valley on that cable car thingy that swings over London, might be better than being stuck inside the valley, watching the football, after a few jars , i'm sure it will lose its swingyness.

You can indeed see it from the cable car. It's the only thing worth looking at.
  • Just wondering if you can see the valley on that cable car thingy that swings over London, might be better than being stuck inside the valley, watching the football, after a few jars , i'm sure it will lose its swingyness.

You can indeed see it from the cable car. It's the only thing worth looking at.
    Could also have a look for the ball from Nicky Bailey’s penalty whilst the cable car is at its highest point.