Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Centre back Issue

So assuming Paddy is out for a few weeks, what happens with CB slots,
Paddy, Pearce and Lennon out
Leaves us with Konsa and Sarr if Konsa is needed at RB again what happens.
Are there any under 23s ready to step up

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Dijksteel maybe or him at rb with Konsa CB stil leaves us short in that area

Bring back Jorge
  • Harry Lennon is training again. Would like to see him get some time.
  • Harry Lennon is training again. Would like to see him get some time.

Training again after a year out could be a while till he is ready
  • Dijksteel had a good game was much better at RB than Konsa. It may have been a young back 4 but it looked a lot more balanced
  • Leuth said:

During our struggles in the first half the bloke behind me kept saying 'I want Pearce and Lennon, this lot are fuckin useless'

Good old-fashioned English names, can't pass, love a foul. HAVE IT

(Sarr and Pearce might be an option soon, mind...)

Unfortunately this is often the kind of shite I hear from behind me in the NL too.
  • Pearce and Lennon are due back fairly soon, I recall KR saying they might be back for the Checkatrade match next week.

Is Solly isn't back again soon, Djiksteel looked the part at RB tonight
  • Pearce and Lennon are due back fairly soon, I recall KR saying they might be back for the Checkatrade match next week.

Is Solly isn't back again soon, Djiksteel looked the part at RB tonight

I think it was last week in an interview Lennon said he'd get 45 minutes for the U23s this week.

I would be very hesitant to trust him for another month or so. I'm not his biggest fan (don't think he's awful, just not quite good enough), but he's been out for a year and a half really. He had a couple games back last year in which he looked rash and off the pace, and got sent off in one.

I think Dijksteel Konsa Sarr DaSilva is a back four that would be fine for a couple games. Not something you want to go with for a long stretch, but none of them are chancers. We also have the option to recall RCC (I think we do, anyway), who could provide some cover at RB. Plus Aaron Barnes and Jo Cummings have been around the first team. And Dan Bowry and Blumberg have looked good for the U23s by all accounts.

Not having a league game for 10+ days certainly helps. Just getting Solly back would really help lighten the load. I think it's important we don't rush Bauer back as I don't think he was fully fit tonight.
  • Fish Costa Fortune
  • Sponsored links:

• Blumberg always looks good in the U23s but is left sided.
  • Konsa and Sarr looked horrible against Wimbledon. Hope Pearce is back soon
  • Bauer won't be missed.
  • I'd be surprised if Solly isnt back for Portsmouth.

Dont really care who plays at the back against AFC Wimbledon yet suspect it'll be Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Dasilva with an even different back line against Swansea City next Tuesday in the Football League Trophy.

Makes a mockery of all us moaning in the Summer though claiming we've got too many Centre-Backs!!
  • edited November 2017
    wmcf123 said:

Konsa and Sarr looked horrible against Wimbledon. Hope Pearce is back soon

Kept a clean-sheet against Wimbledon and were never really threatened if I remember correctly.

Was going forward against them that we were shite
  • I wasn't impressed with Konsa and Sarr together against MK Dons either.

Individually they are both good players (also each in tandem with another CB), but as a CB pairing I don't feel that they compliment each other.

• There are two things a decent CB should avoid - mistiming headers and playing dangerous passes around our 18 yard box. Unfortunately these seem to be fairly common at present in our team.
  • Konsa is the one who is struggling a bit. Sarr has been ok. They are still both inexperienced so each game they play helps.

There's also been a lot of chopping and changing recently in the back four. Sarr & Da Silva both playing left back; Konsa, Solly and Dijksteel at right back; Bauer, Sarr and Konsa at centre-back.

Generally, id say that Konsa is more of a centre-back in a 3 and is ok as an occasional stopper-type right-back away from home. He's not powerful enough in the air (yet?) to be part of a successful centre-back pair.

I'd like to see a 3-5-2 at some stage (maybe with Sarr, Pearce, Konsa) and see how that goes. Da Silva is definitely up to the challenge of left-wing back.....I wonder if Solly & Dijksteel could manage right-wing back?

PS: Sarr has been excellent at feeding balls to Da Silva. Last night, Jay had so much of the ball on the left.
  • Anfernee does a good job at RB but he would call himself a DM
  • Why doesn't Barnes get a chance at RB? I haven't seen much of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:

Why doesn't Barnes get a chance at RB? I haven't seen much of him.

He's been kind of rubbish when I've seen him this season (pre-season/Checkatrade)
  • I'd be surprised if Solly isnt back for Portsmouth.

Dont really care who plays at the back against AFC Wimbledon yet suspect it'll be Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Dasilva with an even different back line against Swansea City next Tuesday in the Football League Trophy.

Makes a mockery of all us moaning in the Summer though claiming we've got too many Centre-Backs!!

To be fair we have sold one and have three injured, and still have two left. How many do we need for two places in the team?

Pearce and Bauer and Lennon all seem to have been rather unlucky with injuries in the last year or two. Maybe they are injury prone but it's more likely to be just bad luck. Konsa has come on this season and Sarr has, at long last, shown what we all hoped he had.
  • Redhenry said:

Anfernee does a good job at RB but he would call himself a DM

I'd be interested to see him play in the Kashi role. Looks like he has the physique and certainly the technique.
  • Might be the only one but I don't think Konsa is all that to be honest . No great loss when he leaves in Jan
  • cafc4life said:

Might be the only one but I don't think Konsa is all that to be honest . No great loss when he leaves in Jan

Agree last 3 home games he has made some poor mistakes. Luckily it's L1 otherwise we would have been punished more. Against MK I think when he let the ball bounce and let the striker in behind was criminal!
  • cafc4life said:

Might be the only one but I don't think Konsa is all that to be honest . No great loss when he leaves in Jan

It's an issue with young defenders, that often the ones that stand out are those who look comfortable elegant on the ball, rather than those who cam actually defend - tackle, head, mark etc

Even before his injuries, Solly was overlooked by the likes of Arsenal, who instead chose Jenkinson who might look a better footballer than Solly, but was a far worse defender
  • cafc4life said:

He looks like he's trying to cruise (which is alright when it comes off). Premier League talk has possibly affected him but may just have concentration issues full-stop.
  • cafc4life said:

It's his potential that makes him so valuable. Joe Gomez wasn't the finished article when he was with us but looks a steal at c. £4m now!
  • edited November 2017
    cafc4life said:

That depends on who he's replaced with. It's likely to weaken us if we just go with Lennon or someone from the u23s. I think we'd struggle to replace him with someone better in the January window.
  • Scoham said:

cafc4life said:

That depends on who he's replaced with. It's likely to weaken us if we just go with Lennon or someone from the u23s. I think we'd struggle to replace him with someone better in the January window.
    It would weaken our squad, but not drastically as to me Konsa is our 4th best CB (behind Pearce, Bauer and Sarr) and 2nd best RB (behind Solly, but with Djiksteel coming up strong)

If we get a good fee for him and if KR is allowed to spend the money, that money can really plug bigger gaps elsewhere in the squad.