Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your strongest starting XI

This may have already been covered but I thought as we’re a fair chunk into the season and we’ve now had a good chance to look at most of the 17/18 squad, I thought it would be good to see what people think our best XI is.

Think the front 4 when fit will be similar for the majority, but with the reemergence of Sarr maybe some people have different ideas about what the back 4 should look like

Mine when everyone is fit would be

Amos

Solly Pearce Konsa Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Fosu Clarke Holmes

Magennis

Comments

• Agree although maybe Philips in goal
  • I'd be tempted to put Marshall in there. The bloke has been out injured for months and is now being asked to play twice a week. We're definitely not seeing the best of him but he is clearly a good footballer.
  • I'd be tempted to put Marshall in there. The bloke has been out injured for months and is now being asked to play twice a week. We're definitely not seeing the best of him but he is clearly a good footballer.

Agree but on performances so far Fosu is in front of him.
  • As above except Bauer for Pearce,Patrick has been immense this year
  • edited November 2017
    cabbles said:

This may have already been covered but I thought as we’re a fair chunk into the season and we’ve now had a good chance to look at most of the 17/18 squad, I thought it would be good to see what people think our best XI is.

Think the front 4 when fit will be similar for the majority, but with the reemergence of Sarr maybe some people have different ideas about what the back 4 should look like

Mine when everyone is fit would be

Amos

Solly Pearce Konsa Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Fosu Clarke Holmes

Magennis

This would be my starting XI as well, but again, maybe Phillips in goal.
  • Amos

Konsa
    BFG
    Sarr
    JDS

Kashi
    JFC

Holmes
    Clarke
    Fosu

Big Mag

Bench Phillips, Solly, Pearce, Reeves, Marshall, Aribo, KAG.

2 strikers short of a very good squad, for league 1.

• I really don't understand the love for Bauer. Recent performances put him behind Sarr as 4th choice.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Amos

Konsa
    BFG
    Sarr
    JDS

Kashi
    JFC

Holmes
    Clarke
    Fosu

Big Mag

Bench Phillips, Solly, Pearce, Reeves, Marshall, Aribo, KAG.

2 strikers short of a very good squad, for league 1.

Perhaps you didn't go to the Posh game?

Because Konsa was all over the place at right back, and no way should be ahead of Solly.

He may have more pace to get forward, but a right back's primary job us to defend.
  • Amos
    Solly Pearce Sarr Dasilva
    JFC Kashi
    Holmes Clarke Fosu
    Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Bauer, Jackson, Reeves, Marshall, Best
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:

As above,except Bauer for Konsa.

This.

Few people have told me they think Konsa is a better prospect than Gomez but yet to see what all the fuss is about.
  • Amos
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Da Silva
    Kashi, Forster-Caskey
    Holmes, Reeves, Fosu
    Magennis
    Subs Phillips, Sarr, Aribo, Clarke, Best, Marshall, Konsa
  • jamescafc said:

clive said:

This.

Few people have told me they think Konsa is a better prospect than Gomez but yet to see what all the fuss is about.
    Gomez is twice the player Konsa will ever be

The main reason we will not challenge for the automatic spots is because Magennis is useless
  • jamescafc said:

clive said:

This.

The main reason we will not challenge for the automatic spots is because Magennis is useless is our only decent striker and has no competition or cover.
    Fixed. I agree he should have scored a few more but he's not useless. I wouldn't want him starting in the Championship should we get there though.
  • jamescafc said:

clive said:

This.

The main reason we will not challenge for the automatic spots is because Magennis is useless
    I think he's useless too but in fairness to him he's got a better record that I expected.

I had expected with KRs style of play that he'd have gone with the false 9 in order to accommodate all the attacking midfield type players with have.

• edited November 2017
    Konsa is an awful fullback - although the case could be made for him to be in the strongest 11 at centre back.
  • Probably something like this:

GK: Amos
    RB: Solly
    CB: Konsa
    CB: Pearce
    LB: Dasilva
    CDM: Kashi
    CDM: Forster-Caskey
    RW: Holmes
    LW: Fosu
    CAM: Clarke
    CF: Magennis

I'd rather Konsa over Bauer, because of his mobility. Having both Pearce and Bauer in a side, while dependable and such, leaves us prone to, say, Jack Marriott from Peterborough et al getting in and round them particularly easily, while Konsa is athletic enough to cover Pearce (who is the leader, and better of him and Bauer).

The rest of the team, at the moment, writes itself almost. Maybe Clarke/Reeves is a bit of a conundrum as I don't actually feel we've seen enough of either of them, but Clarke has played better when we've seen him.

Kashi is looking more and more like a liability at the moment, though, and we need to arrest this ASAP.
  • edited November 2017
    Time to shake things up a bit.

Firstly I think we need a more mobile striker than Magennis.
    So controversially I’m starting with Best/A.N.Other. For someone who hasn't played in 12 months I think he showed promise on Tuesday. He set up Magennis with a neat dummy which I only picked up on the highlights on Tuesday. He gets into the right positions. I think/hope he’ll improve game by game. If not, A.N.Other comes in in Jan. I also think KAG shows promise, but he's not quite ready. Magennis needs a rest anyway.

Dijksteel’s debut performance really impressed me, so he’s sharing the sweeper role with Kashi and LB duties with Solly. He looks ready and needs game time.
    Also I'm going with a change of formation, with three at the back, certainly against the likes of Wigan. Bauer/Pearce/Sarr. We need Sarr - we haven’t been bullied in matches he’s played in. He’s also set up two goals in the last three matches. As one of the three will inevitably be injured or suspended there'll be plenty of game time for Konsa. Not at right back though.
    Marshall will keep improving. He and Fosu are pretty similar, so I'd play play either, with the other used as an impact sub.
    Reeves hasn't proved himself yet. I suspect there's more to come from him, but for now he's on the bench.
    JF-C and Clarke can share the central midfield role, with J F-C just shading the starting place.

Amos is doing really well, but if Phillips isn't out on loan I'd play him more often, especially in cup matches.
    Also, I'd be the co-manager, as Robbo's looking a bit tired.

Amos/Phillips

Pearce ~~~~ Bauer ~~~~ Sarr

Solly/Dijksteel ~~~~ Da Silva

JFC/Clarke ~~~~ Kashi/Dijksteel

Fosu/Marshall ~~~~ Holmes

Best/new striker

• JamesSeed said:

Magennis has faults, but mobility is not one of them - the bloke is rapid!

I'm sure there was an article put on here where he was tested as being in the top 5 fastest players at Euro 2016.
  • edited November 2017

JamesSeed said:

I'm sure there was an article put on here where he was tested as being in the top 5 fastest players at Euro 2016.
    Yes he's quick when he gets going. But he's more 400 metres than 100 metres. Maybe I just mean better. He doesn't seem to make the right runs, or get into goal scoring positions like he should. He hasn't scored with his feet all season has he?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Magennis suffers from a slight lack of the striker's predatory instinct, maybe it's because he only became a striker relatively late in his career?

In terms of CBs you can you make a case for various pairings, but what we need is a settled partnership so that both CBs know their role.
  • JamesSeed said:

He's clearly put the handbrake on then when he plays for us.
  • GK: Amos
    RB: Solly
    CB: Bauer
    CB: Pearce
    LB: Sarr
    CDM: Dijksteel
    CDM: Forster-Caskey
    RW: Holmes
    LW: Fosu
    CAM:DaSilva
    CF: ANOther
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Yes he's quick when he gets going. But he's more 400 metres than 100 metres. Maybe I just mean better. He doesn't seem to make the right runs, or get into goal scoring positions like he should. He hasn't scored with his feet all season has he?
    Agree his positioning is poor.

Also, he doesn't seem to try and make runs in behind as much as he should which means he doesn't have a chance to show off his pace.

It's a shame really because most players with his pace are small guys, but he's huge so should be dangerous.
  • Magennis just doesn't seem to have a footballing brain
  • Got to be Man City... Have I understood the question right?
  • Saga Lout said:

Got to be Man City... Have I understood the question right?

We could Charltonise that squad in no time!
  • Amos

Solly
    Bauer
    Konsa
    Da Silva

Kashi
    JFC
    Holmes
    Marshall

Clarke
    Magennis

Subs Phillips Dijksteel Pearce Jackson Fosu KAG Aribo
  • Amos

Solly Pearce Sarr Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Fosu Clarke Holmes

Magennis

I think Bauer gets away with a lot, and I wouldn't drop Sarr for him in his current form, only doubt in my mind is two left-footed CBs together. For production in the games he's played I also think Fosu has outshined Marshall's few appearances... although can't tell if he's the better player yet.

Want to see more of Dijksteel as he looked great in the ~30/40 mins we saw of him on Tuesday.
  • Amos

Solly Pearce Bauer Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Fosu Clarke Holmes

Magennis