Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Pride of our Wonderful NHS

edited December 2017 in Not Sports Related
On Thursday morning I slipped on the ice in Morrison’s car park and despite my pathetic Bambi on Ice impersonation I came crashing down on my right hip and the crack told me all I needed to know. My right foot at 90 degrees was also a bit of a clue! It stung a bit as well.

Paramedics were there within 10 minutes and were truly superb - their care and compassion (and humour!) was amazing. Not sure how but they got be strapped up, got me in the ambulance and plied me with some seriously good shit to deaden the pain.

In A&E are Royal Stoke 30 minutes later which was overflowing. In the corridor for a while but assessed immediately and given morphine. Further assessment, x-rays, and full diagnosis within an hour. Bed found in ward, prepped, and on the operating table by 5pm - not sure what it was they gave me but I wasn’t put fully out - he said I had the option of a general and I wasn’t convinced I wanted to be awake hearing the drill! He reassured me that I wouldn’t be aware of anything - and he squirted the first dose of the magic elixir saying ‘here’s the first two double gin and tonics!’. I’ve never tried acid but by all accounts it was a similar experience.

All of that, available to everyone, free at the point of delivery, irrespective of ability to pay.

Less than 72 hours after the operation my beautiful wife brought me home to be waited on hand and foot! Looks like I’ve got out of having to cook Christmas dinner as well!

From the paramedics, the cleaners, the orderly staff, the nurses, the surgeons, the aneathetists, the physiotherapists - to a man and woman they are living angels - working under almost unbearable pressure. We must give the NHS the finances and resources it needs - we cannot lose our Jewell in the crown, whatever it costs.

Comments

• Couldn’t agree more. My aunt has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer and the speed at which she has been seen and given a treatment plan has been superb

Sorry to hear of your fall bob. Speedy recovery mate
  • Hope the Recovery goes well Bob.

My Dad had a few too many light ales a couple of months ago and fell and dislocated his collar bone. The NHS were absolutely brilliant.
  • All the best Bob, hope you have a quick recovery.
  • Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Well done the NHS and your wife.
  • Make a good recovery Bob, nice to hear such good things about the NHS
  • edited December 2017
    stonemuse said:

All the best Bob, hope you have a quick recovery.

I should add that my wife broke her wrist a couple of months back. The NHS were superb and, subsequently, in the follow up appointment.

Not so good in the following appointments with many hours of waiting for delayed appointments due to staff not turning up.

However, also worth highlighting that I had some problems a couple of years ago and the NHS were first class even in the follow-up meetings.
  • Have a quick recovery Bob and I agree about the NHS, it’s not perfect but it’s better than most alternatives around the world.
  • Sorry to hear of this experience Bob, but am totally impressed that you have been so positive about it.
    I hope you recover quickly, and get some non slip footwear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bob.
  • Best wishes @bobmunro
  • Great story Bob, and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Spent a week in St Thomas's about 10 years ago and my experience was exactly like yours. All wonderful people from the tea lady to the top consultant.
  • Great story Bob, and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Spent a week in St Thomas's about 10 years ago and my experience was exactly like yours. All wonderful people from the tea lady to the top consultant.

St. Thomas’s is superb.
  • Best wishes Bob, not to much medication or you'll be comfortably numb.
  • Hope you get better soon Bob and I totally agree our NHS staff are angels who deserve more praise more often.
  • Just think how much time you'll have to read about the takeover and transfers on here.

Sorry to hear about your fall but as they say the NHS works.

I'm biased as my wife is an NHS sister, running a couple of operating theatres but for all it's problems it works.
  • bobmunro said:

On Thursday morning I slipped on the ice in Morrison’s car park and despite my pathetic Bambi on Ice impersonation I came crashing down on my right hip and the crack told me all I needed to know. My right foot at 90 degrees was also a bit of a clue! It stung a bit as well.

Paramedics were there within 10 minutes and were truly superb - their care and compassion (and humour!) was amazing. Not sure how but they got be strapped up, got me in the ambulance and plied me with some seriously good shit to deaden the pain.

In A&E are Royal Stoke 30 minutes later which was overflowing. In the corridor for a while but assessed immediately and given morphine. Further assessment, x-rays, and full diagnosis within an hour. Bed found in ward, prepped, and on the operating table by 5pm - not sure what it was they gave me but I wasn’t put fully out - he said I had the option of a general and I wasn’t convinced I wanted to be awake hearing the drill! He reassured me that I wouldn’t be aware of anything - and he squirted the first dose of the magic elixir saying ‘here’s the first two double gin and tonics!’. I’ve never tried acid but by all accounts it was a similar experience.

All of that, available to everyone, free at the point of delivery, irrespective of ability to pay.

Less than 72 hours after the operation my beautiful wife brought me home to be waited on hand and foot! Looks like I’ve got out of having to cook Christmas dinner as well!

From the paramedics, the cleaners, the orderly staff, the nurses, the surgeons, the aneathetists, the physiotherapists - to a man and woman they are living angels - working under almost unbearable pressure. We must give the NHS the finances and resources it needs - we cannot lose our Jewell in the crown, whatever it costs.

There’s a lesson to be learnt from this ... Use Ocado in future

Seriously, wishing you a speedy recovery Bob and I can only echo your sentiments and comments about the NHS. A month or so ago, my partner had a heart attack. People knock the staff at Darent Valley, some have nicknamed it Death Valley, but the care that she got was second to none.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wishing you a speedy recovery Bob and great to hear how well you were looked after. The NHS and its staff are absolutely wonderful.

The question I have to ask though is this - have you been billed yet by Morrisons for the remedial work to the car park?
  • edited December 2017
    Wish a speedy recovery to you. Did you know only old people have a fall young people just trip over.
  • edited December 2017
    bobmunro said:

But did you get a Charlton-supporting paramedic?

I hope you're back on your feet soon.
  • The NHS have fixed my eye twice, my prostate cancer, and my hernia. It is an amazing institution but for one thing - the bastards operated on my eye the day before the 3-3 with Man U so I missed it!
  • Take it easy Bob.
  • Freeloading waster. Some executive is being denied a seven-figure salary thanks to people like you

(uh erm all the best!)
  • Hope you make a good recovery.
  • Hope your recovery is speedy Bob! All the best mate.
  • Break a leg Bob, here's to a speedy recovery.
  • The things some people will do to get out of cooking Xmas dinner.
    Speedy recovery mate