Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The FA and Wembley FC

Don’t know if you’ve caught this but our illustrious and successful governing body have taken Wembley FC to court over use of the word Wembley on their crest. Fucking joke. The FA won an IP rights claim and Wembley have had to pay costs

I think the FA are dog shit because their number one priority should be making England good again. We’ve been shit for 50 years and steadily getting worse and the FA want to concern themselves with this

Ridiculous

Comments

• If as I believe Wembley FC have been around for a few years I am surprised the FA won the case. Possibly because they could afford better lawyers?
  • watched the bit on London News last night, disgraceful behaviour even expecting Wembley FC to pay the FA'S legal fees.
  • Saw a good idea on twitter, they should.start a justgiving page to fund the legal fees and court costs, sure football fans accross the country would get them fees sorted in no time
  • redman said:

If as I believe Wembley FC have been around for a few years I am surprised the FA won the case. Possibly because they could afford better lawyers?

The FA were even notified about time limits when bringing a claim. They didn’t, it expired and yet they still had the gaul to go back

Joke
  • Unbelievable...the FA bangs on about supporting grass roots football, but then kicks WFC in the balls!
  • Sponsored links:

• HarryLime said:

My contempt for the FA knows no bounds. They are worried about losing a couple of quid because an idiot has confused Wembley FC with Wembley Stadium but for more than half a century the senior football team has won nothing of note at international level.
    Sort out the national football team you litigious morons, but you can’t can you, because that might require doing some work or even knowing what you are doing.

There must be more to it than that surely ?
  • se9addick said:

HarryLime said:

My contempt for the FA knows no bounds. They are worried about losing a couple of quid because an idiot has confused Wembley FC with Wembley Stadium but for more than half a century the senior football team has won nothing of note at international level.
    Sort out the national football team you litigious morons, but you can’t can you, because that might require doing some work or even knowing what you are doing.

There must be more to it than that surely ?
    Apparently not. It is a trademark issue the guardians of our game have.

http://www.wembleyfc.com/trademark-issue-with-wembley-stadium-the-fa/
  • Am I alone (perhaps I know the answer) in appreciating the FA's position? As per the Wembley FC website:-

"In 2012 the club registered the trademark, with a lion’s head on a shield beneath the word “Wembley”, to cover branding on goods, such as clothes and alcoholic drinks. The FA, which failed to object when the trademark was filed, is now blocked from selling certain Wembley-branded merchandise in countries across Europe."

Why would a club from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division require a trademark to cover clothing and alcoholic drinks unless it was to ride on the back of Wembley / The FA's intellectual property? Why should the FA be stopped selling across Europe because a club from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division has trademarked "Wembley"?

I'm all for supporting the underdog, but broadly when that underdog is hard done by - this seems to me to be a little "playful" on the part of the team from Wembley, potentially looking to extract some value, directly or indirectly, from the FA. I sense that, notwithstanding the FAs inability to object in the first place, the minnows are perhaps not the innocent "put upon" party they are purporting to be.

Bear in mind this is the club that were prepared to undermine the essence of the FA Cup and play ex pro's instead of their own team to get Budweiser sponsorship. I cant say I blame them for making the most of their name / geography, but they clearly have a Machiavellian edge to them:-

BBC Website - June 2012

"Non-league Wembley FC have recruited former internationals Ray Parlour, Martin Keown, Graeme Le Saux, Claudio Caniggia and Brian McBride to play in their FA Cup campaign this season.

The north London side have hired David Seaman as goalkeeping coach and former England boss Terry Venables as technical advisor.

Parlour, 39, said: "I've always believed grassroots football is essential to the lifeblood of the game.

"So I jumped at the chance."

All five players have come out of retirement to play for Wembley FC, who are in the ninth tier of English football. The club have agreed a sponsorship deal with Budweiser, which is in the first of a three-year deal as sponsor of the FA Cup".
  • cabbles said:

Am I alone (perhaps I know the answer) in appreciating the FA's position? As per the Wembley FC website:-

"In 2012 the club registered the trademark, with a lion’s head on a shield beneath the word “Wembley”, to cover branding on goods, such as clothes and alcoholic drinks. The FA, which failed to object when the trademark was filed, is now blocked from selling certain Wembley-branded merchandise in countries across Europe."

Why would a club from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division require a trademark to cover clothing and alcoholic drinks unless it was to ride on the back of Wembley / The FA's intellectual property? Why should the FA be stopped selling across Europe because a club from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division has trademarked "Wembley"?

I'm all for supporting the underdog, but broadly when that underdog is hard done by - this seems to me to be a little "playful" on the part of the team from Wembley, potentially looking to extract some value, directly or indirectly, from the FA. I sense that, notwithstanding the FAs inability to object in the first place, the minnows are perhaps not the innocent "put upon" party they are purporting to be.

Bear in mind this is the club that were prepared to undermine the essence of the FA Cup and play ex pro's instead of their own team to get Budweiser sponsorship. I cant say I blame them for making the most of their name / geography, but they clearly have a Machiavellian edge to them:-

BBC Website - June 2012

"Non-league Wembley FC have recruited former internationals Ray Parlour, Martin Keown, Graeme Le Saux, Claudio Caniggia and Brian McBride to play in their FA Cup campaign this season.

The north London side have hired David Seaman as goalkeeping coach and former England boss Terry Venables as technical advisor.

Parlour, 39, said: "I've always believed grassroots football is essential to the lifeblood of the game.

"So I jumped at the chance."

All five players have come out of retirement to play for Wembley FC, who are in the ninth tier of English football. The club have agreed a sponsorship deal with Budweiser, which is in the first of a three-year deal as sponsor of the FA Cup".

Good counter post and thank you. Okay so the trademark prevented the FA from monetising the Wembley name across Europe, but the FA failed to challenge it (as I understand it) in the allotted time period and have now gone in and taken a non league club to court. I don’t know what was done to reach an agreement outside of court (I’m sure something was attempted), but for me it was the FA’s mistake in the first place not responding to the trademark submitted by Wembley. Only when it’s too late do they kick up a fuss

And for me the wider issue is this is the sort of shit they want to put time and money into, yet are happy to serve up a mediocre national football team for the past few years

I agree with all of your points...
  • I could understand if the logo incorporated the stadium but it is just the name Wembley.

How is a place name the Intellectual Property of the FA
  • They should have put a motif of a big pile of money being burnt on their shirts.
  • Sponsored links:

• This give our lot some ideas, Valley Cars and Valley Cafe I'd suggest you change your name. ;)
  • And when do we sue Bobby Charlton?