Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aussie flu survivors?

Pretty sure I'm in the middle of this, certainly a strong flu like I don't remember getting before. Started before Xmas but came on strong since Monday. Hoping just a few days to go but not sure if it's going to get worse yet. Staying away from docs and a &e but it had crossed my mind before I saw the news reports about how over-run they are.
Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Yep, got it now. It's fucking horrendous. Missus is in hospital with a kidney infection brought on by it, I'm off work (first sick days for three years). Feel as weak as a kitten my head is pounding and my temperature keeps going up to 39 and down to 36. Evil.
  • Yes I and the wife had it over Christmas, it was the worse I felt in many year, we both had 10 days of not being able to eat, whilst feeling extremely ill, neither of us had a high temperature, but we were both semi conscious for most of the 10 days we didn’t eat, after 3 weeks I have managed to slowly get back to work and doing around 4 to 5 hours a day for this week, still feeling ill and when I get in I totally knackered and sleep for a couple of hours. I went down the doctors before Christmas and they said there’s nothing they can give you and basically it’s a matter of time, however they did insist that I didn’t go out or meet anyone for around a week.
  • Encouraged by that @CharltonKerry . Wasn't sure if I should be getting my will updated. In all seriousness I wouldn't wish this on anyone. If it is Aussie flu then it's dangerous for vulnerable people and being locked away on CL is going to be as good as it gets for a while yet.
  • edited January 2018

Rubbish the pair of you.......if you had the flu you’d be in your bed semi conscious, sweating like mad with a high temperature and certainly unable to use a keyboard.
    You both have heavy colds not the f’ing flu!
    What is the difference between a cold and the flu?
    You’re lying in bed and a £50 note floats past your window.
    If you have a cold you’ll drag yourself out of bed and go and get it.
    If you have the flu you won’t give a shyte and stay EXACTLY where you are.

Depends how strong your immune system is. A lot of people can be carrying the influenza virus whilst only exhibiting mild symptoms. Which is why it spreads so easily as people think they just have a cold when they are carrying the flu virus. Not good for pregnant women, children and other at-risk people who should be getting the jab.
  • As you say, very risky for vulnerable people. Looks like it is going to get worse before it improves.

• edited January 2018

Rubbish the pair of you.......if you had the flu you’d be in your bed semi conscious, sweating like mad with a high temperature and certainly unable to use a keyboard.

Absolute, utter bollocks. The missus has been diagnosed with it, I've got the same thing but my immune system is a bit stronger than hers - on account of me not having given birth a few weeks ago. I've had flu three times in my life, I know the difference between flu and a cold ffs. Also - not sure if you're aware of this, but there's a new invention called a 'smartphone'. Pretty handy as it means you don't need to drag a keyboard around with you when you want to type
  • Rubbish the pair of you.......if you had the flu you’d be in your bed semi conscious, sweating like mad with a high temperature and certainly unable to use a keyboard.

Absolute, utter bollocks. The missus has been diagnosed with it, I've got the same thing but my immune system is a bit stronger than hers - on account of me not having given birth a few weeks ago. I've had flu three times in my life, I know the difference between flu and a cold ffs. Also - not sure if you're aware of this, but there's a new invention called a 'smartphone'. Pretty handy as it means you don't need to drag a keyboard around with you when you want to type
    A friend of mine has been spouting this rubbish too that it's not flu unless you're completely paralysed. A large proportion of those carrying the virus display no or mild symptoms.
  • Rubbish the pair of you.......if you had the flu you’d be in your bed semi conscious, sweating like mad with a high temperature and certainly unable to use a keyboard.

And people say the takeover thread is a bad thing.
    It's actually making people rise from their sick/Death beds to find out what kind of clusterf**k Roland has bestowed on us next.

Modern medicine that is.
  • Sponsored links:

• A couple we know got a flu type thing when they come back from visiting their kids in Oz, they even come round to ours to tell us, knowing full well that I take strong meds to kill my immune system. She's a retired "nurse".
  • Don't know whether or not it is (was) flu or a cold but I was ill for a good 3 weeks. Got worse after the Portsmouth game. I kept working up to 21 December because I had to but usually crashed out once I returned home and did little else. As I recovered I had to be Nurse Ratched to other family members one of whom spent 4 or 5 days in bed she was so badly affected.
  • Funnily enough someone who has been suffering from this claims not to have had the flu but has advised me to take some cold and flu medication before I see him tomorrow so I don't catch what he's had.

I mean...words fail me.
  • I had a very bad cold before xmas, It lasted around 2 weeks, but definitely wasn't flu. Never seen mucus like it & added to that the associated cough lasted a couple of weeks & still have the odd tickly cough & have gone through so many packets of throat lozenges I should have bought shares in Glaxo's

Th thing is Soundo, I had that attitude ignoring signs of illness and pain for over 15 years and battled through, I had some proper proud manipulative bosses at the time. Then when I ended up critically ill and I couldn't leave my house for nearly 2 months the wankers I went out my way to impress weren't anywhere to be seen.

Now if I feel ill or "don't fancy it", it don't happen and I certainly weren't put on this earth to catch the 05:47 early bird out of Gravesend every morning "unless I'm on deaths door".
  • I'm self-employed - I don't get colds or Flu.
  • Sponsored links:

• A couple we know got a flu type thing when they come back from visiting their kids in Oz, they even come round to ours to tell us, knowing full well that I take strong meds to kill my immune system. She's a retired "nurse".

I'd let them know that they are not beneficiaries in your will if I were you.
  • Addickted said:

A couple we know got a flu type thing when they come back from visiting their kids in Oz, they even come round to ours to tell us, knowing full well that I take strong meds to kill my immune system. She's a retired "nurse".

I'd let them know that they are not beneficiaries in your will if I were you.
    Yeah, I've lovingly left all my debt to my Mrs
  • Dazzler21 said:

Not knowing what the colours mean on that map, it means nothing.

The redder the colour the larger the number of diagnosed cases.
  • Addickted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Not knowing what the colours mean on that map, it means nothing.

The redder the colour the larger the number of diagnosed cases of incest.
  • Greenie said:

At least when we leave the EU we wont get Aussie flu anymore.

I blame CARD. If they hadn’t upset Roland, we would have prospective Aussie owners, and this would never have happened.
  • FFS, seen it all now. CL's very own "Grab 'a Doc" just post your symptoms and get diagnosed within seconds. Don't feck about with. Dr's and hospitals, it's all here. ;)
  • Addickted said:

As you say, very risky for vulnerable people. Looks like it is going to get worse before it improves.

The most worrying thing is that Great Britain appears to have been taken over by Palace.