Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ref questions about Oldham game

I know we regularly slag off the officials with yesterday's being particularly poor (several offsides wrongly give/not given and BFG taking a throw on whilst clearly on the pitch immediately coming to mind) but there are a couple of points I'd like any resident refs to clear up about yellow cards
1. Mavididi. When he was booked for simulation miles outside the penalty area, what should the restart be? I thought at the time the ref gave a direct free kick, but shouldn't it be indirect?
2. Green. After being booked for fouling Ricky, why did the ref insist that Holmes went off the pitch? I thought a treated player could stay on now if there had been a card worthy offence that led to the injury?

I thought all 3 officials were poor, but actually didn't couldn't make the game worse. Charlton and Oldham were more than capable of serving up 89 minutes of dross themselves.

Comments

• Also, only supposed to stop play for a serious injury. Their 23 could clearly walk off the pitch under his own steam, but twice the ref stopped it because he decided to sit on the pitch rather than get off it.
  • edited January 2018
    1) Does it matter about Direct or indirect?.
  • 1) Does it matter about Direct or indirect?.

Not in the grand scheme of things (although if a defender was penalised for simulation in his own area, would you expect a penalty?) , but I thought as it was not an offence against a player it would be indirect (like dissent/offside/entering the field) - just asking for clarification from those who actually know the laws
  • Simulation is not a foul. It is misconduct and should therefore always result in an indirect free kick.
  • You only stay on the pitch after a head injury i believe.

Ref should have book there man for the deliberate hand ball in the 1st half
  • Wasnt at the game. However answers are: indirect free kick to restart the game after stopping it to caution a player for diving. If a player is injured and the opponent is cautioned for the incident, the injured player does not need to leave the field of play unless the referee believes that lengthly treatment is necessary b4 said player is fit enough to resume.
  • The ref yesterday looked like he'd enjoyed his Christmas.

He looked unfit and made a number of wrong decisions because he couldn't keep up with play.

That being said, he did try and let the game flow. There were some good robust challenges by both sides that other refs would have given fouls for and no decision he made had an impact on the result so all in all he didn't do too badly.
  • cafc999 said:

You only stay on the pitch after a head injury i believe.

Agreed. Blatantly deliberate to try and gain an advantage.
  • cafc999 said:

Agreed. Blatantly deliberate to try and gain an advantage.
    And to stop us counter attacking

He looked unfit and made a number of wrong decisions because he couldn't keep up with play.

That being said, he did try and let the game flow. There were some good robust challenges by both sides that other refs would have given fouls for and no decision he made had an impact on the result so all in all he didn't do too badly.

The lino in front of the West Stand was also a bit slow, he wasn't back on his line quick enough to accurately judge whether the ball had crossed the line after a miscue by one of the Oldham defenders!
  • Sponsored links:

The lino in front of the West Stand was also a bit slow, he wasn't back on his line quick enough to accurately judge whether the ball had crossed the line after a miscue by one of the Oldham defenders!
    The linesman was expected to anticipate a miscue? Just asking - wasnt there.
  • Ref was poor overall.
    5 yellow cards in a game that wasn't particularly dirty.
  • Ref was poor overall.

Wasnt there, but a game does not necessarily need to be dirty to warrent 5 cards. Tactical minor fouls, tactical handballs, time wasting are just three examoles of many offences deserving of cautions but would not come under the classification of "dirty" - just saying.
  • cafc999 said:

totally agree. Kashi (I think) got booked for a cynical foul to stop them attacking & their player's handball did exactly the same. Might not have been in a "dangerous" area of the pitch but it was a deliberate attempt to stop an attack - and after Rochdale last season who can't say that Mavvy wouldn't have gone on a similar run & scored.
  • PeterGage said:

The ref yesterday looked like he'd enjoyed his Christmas.

The linesman was expected to anticipate a miscue? Just asking - wasnt there.
    I was being a bit harsh, but he did seem a bit slow to get back!
  • edited January 2018
    PeterGage said:

Ref was poor overall.

Wasnt there, but a game does not necessarily need to be dirty to warrent 5 cards. Tactical minor fouls, tactical handballs, time wasting are just three examoles of many offences deserving of cautions but would not come under the classification of "dirty" - just saying.
    Funny, as I thought the same thing myself yesterday during the game when I looked at the scoreboard to see 5 yellow cards with hardly a nasty tackle in the game. 3 of the yellows were "technical" (simulation, time wasting & kicking the ball away)
  • He wasn't there!! :wink:
  • I thought all of the bookings were justified except the poor Oldham keeper who was waiting for the whistle to be blown as a signal to take the free kick and got booked for time wasting.

Surely the ref wasn't that thick to think at 0-1 down he'd be time wasting? A substitution had just been made and the poor guy was waiting for the ref to restart play. It was ridiculous.

I thought it was pretty clear he was waiting for a signal too, it looked like he was shouting to the ref to ask if he could go.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc999 said:

totally agree. Kashi (I think) got booked for a cynical foul to stop them attacking & their player's handball did exactly the same. Might not have been in a "dangerous" area of the pitch but it was a deliberate attempt to stop an attack - and after Rochdale last season who can't say that Mavvy wouldn't have gone on a similar run & scored.
    Bauer was booked for a shirt pull as the bloke ran clear of him.
  • Thank @PeterGage, was hoping you’d respond. As I said in the OP I think he gave a direct but not certain - nice for a qualified ref to confirm. As for Ricky’s injury he was down for a while but received no extra treatment off the pitch and was ready to step back on. I can understand if a player needs stitches or strapping they need to go off and the game continue but I’m sure Holmes should have stayed on. (I was caught out with this law change earlier in the season when I was irate when an oppo player didn’t go off after a booking so I watch out for it now)
  • I thought all of the bookings were justified except the poor Oldham keeper who was waiting for the whistle to be blown as a signal to take the free kick and got booked for time wasting.

Surely the ref wasn't that thick to think at 0-1 down he'd be time wasting? A substitution had just been made and the poor guy was waiting for the ref to restart play. It was ridiculous.

There had been a break in play for over a minute (treating one of their players I think ??) and when reday to re-start he dicked around with the ball, replacing it from where is was put a minute or so before ready for their free lick. He may not have been "time wasting" but I think its endemic with all payers (not just goalkeepers) that they want to take as much time as they can before re-commencing the game - unless they are still behind going into injury time.
  • PeterGage said:

Ref was poor overall.

Their goalie got booked in the first half for time wasting when they were losing 1-0 lol.
  • I thought the ref called most things correctly. Agree with a comment earlier on though that 5 yellows was excessive. Thought Bauer's yellow and Malvididi's yellow were correct though.
  • The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

No idea what that was about?

Nor did my son me to me?

That and the blatant hand ball for a (non) yellow.

Bottom line the game was so poor, the ref and officials were the ony thing we can talk about other than the North upper " I have to stand up thread"

Cross bar challenge was brilliant....

6.5k "how do you feel?"

I m happy.....zzzzz

Summed up the day !
  • BR3red said:

The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

Nor did my son me to me?

Bottom line the game was so poor, the ref and officials were the ony thing we can talk about other than the North upper " I have to stand up thread"

6.5k "how do you feel?"

I m happy.....zzzzz

Summed up the day !
    He was taking the kick on behalf of the VG member (you can nominate someone if you're not up for it), so technically didn't win a penny. I guess he probably felt Brian was taking the piss. :smiley:
  • A few people have said the dive, wasn't a dive. Can anyone offer any evidence as to whether it was a dive either way?
  • rikofold said:

BR3red said:

The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

Nor did my son me to me?

6.5k "how do you feel?"

I m happy.....zzzzz

Summed up the day !
    He was taking the kick on behalf of the VG member (you can nominate someone if you're not up for it), so technically didn't win a penny. I guess he probably felt Brian was taking the piss. :smiley:
    I thought 6.5k referred to the attendance...
  • Dazzler21 said:

A few people have said the dive, wasn't a dive. Can anyone offer any evidence as to whether it was a dive either way?

It was a blatant dive.