Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Good luck to him, however the day will come when the football money runs out......
  • It's his money.
  • When talentless boy band members of the same age (or any young pop stars over the last 40 years going back to the Beatles) do this I am not aware of any fuss being made. I don't understand the issue.
  • When talentless boy band members of the same age (or any young pop stars over the last 40 years going back to the Beatles) do this I am not aware of any fuss being made. I don't understand the issue.

But that's after having lots of hits and touring the world for a few years. This is a kid who's hardly played and who most people have never even heard off
  • He is worth what someone will pay him, same as every other employed person on the planet.
  • I wouldn't want @bobmunro as a neighbour but as others have said it is his money.

"Man buys house he can afford" shocker

Why is this even news other than giving readers a chance to moan about "overpaid footballers, blah, blah, blah."

• Did he use the government's 'Help to Buy' scheme?
  • If he has a contract that means he can afford it then what does it matter how many games he has played for the Man City first team, I know we all like to grumble about the crazy wages footballers earn but seems a bit harsh to focus on one young player.
  • Sponsored links:

Those 'talentless boy band members' etc have achieved hit records or other recognition even if their 'music' is not to your (or my) taste.

This bloke hasn't even played a first team league match.

So I guess 'the issue' is the obscene sums a footballer can earn without achieving much within his profession.

My own view is that if Man City are mug enough to pay him that much then good luck to the bloke on negotiating his deal.

I guess 'my issue' is only indirectly related to this in that clubs lower down the pyramid have gone to the wall for debts equating to a fraction of this bloke's wages.

Not his fault obviously but I think it legitimate to ask questions of the FA, Football league or whichever other governing body is ultimately responsible for the inequities between clubs in the game as a whole.
  • LenGlover said:

When talentless boy band members of the same age (or any young pop stars over the last 40 years going back to the Beatles) do this I am not aware of any fuss being made. I don't understand the issue.

Not his fault obviously but I think it legitimate to ask questions of the FA, Football league or whichever other governing body is ultimately responsible for the inequities between clubs in the game as a whole.
    Which this article does none of.

• If clubs are stupid enough to pay that kind of money, then good luck to him.

But that's after having lots of hits and touring the world for a few years. This is a kid who's hardly played and who most people have never even heard off
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637777/One-Directions-luxury-homes-world-away-modest-houses-grew-in.html

He is obviously a very talented footballer with great potential and being advised wisely on how to invest his sudden wealth. He is lucky to be living in a time when working class kids who get signed up by big clubs get rewarded on the same scale as young pop stars have always been rewarded.
  • LenGlover said:

When talentless boy band members of the same age (or any young pop stars over the last 40 years going back to the Beatles) do this I am not aware of any fuss being made. I don't understand the issue.

Which this article does none of.

Indeed.

I was just attempting to answer @Red_in_SE8 's question.
  • Bit of a non-story. I thought the link was going to shoe photos of tacky interior but sadly no.

What I did find as funny as you like was this paragraph:

'Other mindboggling spending by young footballers include Adnan Januzaj, who blew £3million on a new pad aged just 22 – only to be sold by Manchester United to Real Sociedad eight days later.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637777/One-Directions-luxury-homes-world-away-modest-houses-grew-in.html

He is obviously a very talented footballer with great potential and being advised wisely on how to invest his sudden wealth. He is lucky to be living in a time when working class kids who get signed up by big clubs get rewarded on the same scale as young pop stars have always been rewarded.
    No interest in their music, but One Direction had vast number of record sales and 4/5 years of constant work, concerts, TV appearances all over the globe, with millions of fans everywhere

A Raheem Sterling would be more equivalent to them than Tosin, who's like the new artist signed by a record company who hasn't had a big hit yet
  • Jeez, that's a shocking low-rent article.

Just to translate Sun-speak for everyone:

"Splurged £2mn on a mansion" means wisely invested in property by acquiring a modest detached residence with a hefty mortgage.

"Cheshire – a notorious hotspot for footballers" means a nice part of the country with pleasant residential properties which are also close to significant Premier League training grounds making the commute to work more relaxed.

"A source said of the defender’s six-bed pad in Cheshire:" means there isn''t a source it was just my fellow rubbish journo sitting at the desk next to mine and, oh, and it's still in Cheshire in case you've forgotten just reading the previous paragraph.

"Dean Wilkins" mean total loser who is stealing a living writing for The Sun.

A source said Dean Wilkins has more bedrooms than journalistic awards. Here's a list of his work - I use that term loosely - if anyone's interested journalisted.com/dean-wilkins-1?allarticles=yes

• edited January 2018

No interest in their music, but One Direction had vast number of record sales and 4/5 years of constant work, concerts, TV appearances all over the globe, with millions of fans everywhere

A Raheem Sterling would be more equivalent to them than Tosin, who's like the new artist signed by a record company who hasn't had a big hit yet
    So this new artist no one has heard of has 2 or 3 record companies who think he/she is almost guaranteed to be successful so they all compete to sign him/her to their label. Is there a limit to how much each record company can offer and how the potential star spends that money before we feel we have the right to judge? Remember, this is not inherited wealth. In both cases, the potential football star and potential pop star have been blessed with a talent that happens to be highly regarded in our society at the moment, and, especially in the case of the potential football star, has spent the last 10 years developing that talent with hard work and dedication that has seen him a stay the top of each age selection group he has played in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really hate that dirty rag.
  • Fair play to the lad, looks like a lovely gaff!

Remember the Sun running a story on Sterling's new house a while back. Slagging him and saying how extravagant it was. Turned out he bought it for his mum I think? But that was never mentioned in the article!
  • What Cheshire village Bob? I might have asked you this before. My sister now lives in Alsager. Not quite a village, well just outside in Church Lawton. Nice enough.

Four of my friends have moved up that way but they chose to settle in Bollington which I think is absolutely lovely. It didn't strike me as being like Alderley Edge?
  • Curb_It said:

What Cheshire village Bob? I might have asked you this before. My sister now lives in Alsager. Not quite a village, well just outside in Church Lawton. Nice enough.

Four of my friends have moved up that way but they chose to settle in Bollington which I think is absolutely lovely. It didn't strike me as being like Alderley Edge?

Yes I know Alsager - very nice but as you say a small town rather than a village.

We live in Wrenbury, although strictly speaking Wrenbury Wood which is just outside the village. The village had one shop, one church and two pubs - one of the pubs at the side of the Shropshire Union canal and about 300 yards from our place. Nearest town is Nantwich which is lovely.

All very rural for a city boy - but at my stage of life I love the peace and quiet. I travel to London regularly and it’s still the greatest city on earth, but it’s nice to come home to tranquility. Getting old, Bren!

• That sounds ideal to me Bob.
  • YTS1978 said:

Fair play to the lad, looks like a lovely gaff!

Remember the Sun running a story on Sterling's new house a while back. Slagging him and saying how extravagant it was. Turned out he bought it for his mum I think? But that was never mentioned in the article!

His mum who had worked incredibly hard, immigrated to Britain and raised him as a single mum.

But there were some ugly sinks or something.

The audacity of the man.

So this new artist no one has heard of has 2 or 3 record companies who think he/she is almost guaranteed to be successful so they all compete to sign him/her to their label. Is there a limit to how much each record company can offer and how the potential star spends that money before we feel we have the right to judge? Remember, this is not inherited wealth. In both cases, the potential football star and potential pop star have been blessed with a talent that happens to be highly regarded in our society at the moment, and, especially in the case of the potential football star, has spent the last 10 years developing that talent with hard work and dedication that has seen him a stay the top of each age selection group he has played in.
    All excellent points. I just wanted to highlight two of the best.