Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

holidays 2018 ideas

looking to get something booked in January.

want to do a decent 10 days somewhere all inclusive, was thinking of mexico or dominican, mrs is a sun worshipper but ill get bored lazing round for 10 days.

mexico seems ideal but time of year doesn't really suit as i think its rain season.

ideally want to go away late Sept/early Oct.

any advice or recommendations would be welcomed.

Comments

• haha nice one, we may still be doing a long weekend in albufeira whilst the world cups on.
  • We went to Mexico a few years ago mid September and it rained continuously for 10 of the 14 days. On a positive note the 4 days we didn’t have rain was really hot, one of those days included the day we left to come home.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

If you go Mexico, avoid Cancun and go Riviera Maya / Playa del Carmen. So much nicer.

Cancun is mexican ibiza... full of pissed up twats
  • Went to Riviera Maya (Mexico) in June of this year for two weeks, it does rain but not for long. Think we did have one storm day though. If you are looking at Mexico, make sure you avoid it when the American's have public holidays as the youngsters swarm the place. Piss heads everywhere.

I have also been to Cuba and that was cracking.
  • Belgium...?

Near elections time preferably.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've never been, but I have friends who go to Goa every year. I'm told it's lovely, but be prepared that you're almost guaranteed to get 'Delhi Belly' at some point whilst you're there
  • edited December 2017
    Dump the all inclusive, get out and explore in South Africa.

That time of year it is great and if you go to Cape Town and up the Garden Route you can:
    - go wine tasting in Stellenbosch,
    - see history, grab the cable car up Table Mountian and eat well in Cape Town,
    - get up close to penguins at Boulders beach,
    - grab some sun and sand at Plettenberg Bay
    - Grab sun, sand, canoe, stay in tree houses at knysna
    - dive with Great Whites,
    - mountain bike, ride an ostrich, go caving in Oodtshorn,
    - go tubing Storms River,
    - swim up and sit under a waterfall at the Wilderness,
    - go to the stunning beach that is Nature’s Valley,
    - watch families of whales from the shore,
    - climb huge sand dunes whilst watching Zebras and various species of deer at De Hoop National Park
    - See otters on the beach

and much much more.

Plus the exchange rate is massively in our favour at the moment, the wine is great and the flight is very easy as there is no time difference and if you fly over night you literally miss out in no time and (assuming you can sleep), arrive refreshed and raring to go.
  • Jamaica. Plenty of all inclusive resorts and also plenty of activities for you to do if your missus wants to stay by the pool.
  • I went Mexico start of October this year, and it rained for like 1-2 hour periods, but the rest of the time it was lovely. Even when it rained everyone just stood drinking in the pool. We stayed in Riviera Maya.

Looking at Costa Rica this year.
  • edited December 2017

That time of year it is great and if you go to Cape Town and up the Garden Route you can go wine tasting in Stellenbosch, see history and eat well in Cape Town, grab some sun and sand at Platenburg and knysna beaches, dive with Great Whites, canoe, mountain bike, ride an ostrich, go caving in Oodtshorn, go tubing in the Wilderness, swim up and sit under a waterfall at the Wilderness, watch families of whales from the shore, climb huge sand dunes whilst watching Zebras and various species of deer at De Hoop National Park and much much more.

Plus the exchange rate is massively in our favour at the moment, the wine is great and the flight is very easy as there is no time difference and if you fly over night you literally miss out in no time and (assuming you can sleep), arrive refreshed and raring to go.

And in a weeks time, I'm doing exactly that for 3.5 weeks with a 3 day detour to Zimbabwe to see Victoria Falls and then throw in some safari too. Can't bloody wait! Dead right about the exchange rate, we managed to get 19 rands to the pound a couple of days ago, so we've done pretty well considering it dropped to 15 about 8 weeks ago.

Its expensive to get there but once you're there its as cheap as chips!
  • edited December 2017
    @JohnBoyUK - are you hiring a car? I went back in 2010 I think (10rands to the £) it was and a colleague of mine was from Cape Town. Not sure if I still have the email she sent but it was so packed with information / detail and things to do I will see if I can dig it out and happy to share if you are interested. If you are up for the outdoors then some highlights for us were in Oodtshorn you can hire a bike from one of the Youth Hostels (don’t worry you didn’t need to stay there) and they drive you and bike to the top of a pass so you can essentially free wheel down stopping at an ostrich farm - sounds cheesy and we almost didn’t bother but it was loads of fun, and some caves (I think Cango caves) which were spectacular.

Also off the beaten track DeHoop National Park is worth a google, middle of nowhere and a long drive on a dirt track but I love peace and quiet (hence my love for Charlton probably!) and standing on a sand dune as tall as a 3 storey building or more whilst watching families of whales (time of yr dependent I guess) with literally no one else about was perfect for me.

Then at Natures Valley we did a walk along the beach and up the other side from where we could see whales and a pod of dolphins swim past.

Boshendahl in Stellenbosch had a fab picnic on their lawn - you would need to book before you go I think... well worth it for a bit of luxury.
  • edited December 2017

That time of year it is great and if you go to Cape Town and up the Garden Route you can:
    - go wine tasting in Stellenbosch,
    - see history, grab the cable car up Table Mountian and eat well in Cape Town,
    - get up close to penguins at Boulders beach,
    - grab some sun and sand at Plettenberg Bay
    - Grab sun, sand, canoe, stay in tree houses at knysna
    - dive with Great Whites,
    - mountain bike, ride an ostrich, go caving in Oodtshorn,
    - go tubing Storms River,
    - swim up and sit under a waterfall at the Wilderness,
    - go to the stunning beach that is Nature’s Valley,
    - watch families of whales from the shore,
    - climb huge sand dunes whilst watching Zebras and various species of deer at De Hoop National Park
    - See otters on the beach

and much much more.

I'm hoping to do exactly this in late 2018, and starting to look at options now. Can't work out if it's best to book through a travel agent and follow an itinerary, or just hire a car and book our own stuff. Any advice welcome!
  • Came back recently from 4 days in Cape Town, 4 days Garden Route drive to Port Elizabeth where we Safaried for 4 days and then Mauritius. Utterly incredible trip.

That said, if your wife is looking for relaxation and you’re looking for the same with a couple of excursions then Mexico (Playa Del Carmen / Rivera Maya) is where i’d go for the time of year you’re thinking.

I would bear in mind though that Mexico is to Americans what Benidorm is to Brits.
  • Punta Cana is decent around that time i think, went last October and each time hotels were decent and so much to do didnt end up doing anything. They included sports bar, different restaurants, was more relaxing but really enjoyed it again and would go again.

However only things i have planned is Vegas with mate in April/May, different holidays when single :D
  • Sponsored links:

• What about a couple of weeks in Luton.
  • @JohnBoyUK - are you hiring a car? I went back in 2010 I think (10rands to the £) it was and a colleague of mine was from Cape Town. Not sure if I still have the email she sent but it was so packed with information / detail and things to do I will see if I can dig it out and happy to share if you are interested. If you are up for the outdoors then some highlights for us were in Oodtshorn you can hire a bike from one of the Youth Hostels (don’t worry you didn’t need to stay there) and they drive you and bike to the top of a pass so you can essentially free wheel down stopping at an ostrich farm - sounds cheesy and we almost didn’t bother but it was loads of fun, and some caves (I think Cango caves) which were spectacular.

Also off the beaten track DeHoop National Park is worth a google, middle of nowhere and a long drive on a dirt track but I love peace and quiet (hence my love for Charlton probably!) and standing on a sand dune as tall as a 3 storey building or more whilst watching families of whales (time of yr dependent I guess) with literally no one else about was perfect for me.

Then at Natures Valley we did a walk along the beach and up the other side from where we could see whales and a pod of dolphins swim past.

Boshendahl in Stellenbosch had a fab picnic on their lawn - you would need to book before you go I think... well worth it for a bit of luxury.

I'm hoping to do exactly this in late 2018, and starting to look at options now. Can't work out if it's best to book through a travel agent and follow and itinerary, or just hire a car and book our own stuff. Any advice welcome!

We've done a bit of both tbh.

Leg 1: London > Jo'burg > Victoria Falls > Jo'burg > Port Elizabeth (booked through Trailfinders)
    Leg 2: PE > Cape Town (booked through Airbnb)
    Leg 3: Return from Cape Town > PE > Safari > Home (Booked through Trailfinders).

We're very lucky that my wife's best mate is currently in SA for Christmas with her saffa husband, visiting his family. His family own a couple of cattle farms just outside a town called Hankey, just outside PE. So have got 3-4 days with them and the family at the start of Leg 2, chilling and taking in the real South Africa. We're going up in the mountains on their quad bikes, seeing stuff off the beaten track. Then the wife's mate and her husband join us for the drive to Cape Town before they leave us there to head back on their own before flying home.

Think the wife has booked it so we go Stellenbosch on the way in and out of Cape Town. The Delaire Graff estate is on the list of places to visit. She wants me to buy her diamonds lol.

The places that Airbnb have thrown up look really good. Especially the penthouse apartment we've got in Cape Town, which overlooks the Ocean, the Marina and the big Stadium. By the looks of google maps, its pretty much at the bottom of Table Mountain but still quite high up.

Just want to get out there now, had enough of the dark mornings giving me the hump.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

@JohnBoyUK - are you hiring a car? I went back in 2010 I think (10rands to the £) it was and a colleague of mine was from Cape Town. Not sure if I still have the email she sent but it was so packed with information / detail and things to do I will see if I can dig it out and happy to share if you are interested. If you are up for the outdoors then some highlights for us were in Oodtshorn you can hire a bike from one of the Youth Hostels (don’t worry you didn’t need to stay there) and they drive you and bike to the top of a pass so you can essentially free wheel down stopping at an ostrich farm - sounds cheesy and we almost didn’t bother but it was loads of fun, and some caves (I think Cango caves) which were spectacular.

I'm hoping to do exactly this in late 2018, and starting to look at options now. Can't work out if it's best to book through a travel agent and follow and itinerary, or just hire a car and book our own stuff. Any advice welcome!

We've done a bit of both tbh.

Leg 1: London > Jo'burg > Victoria Falls > Jo'burg > Port Elizabeth (booked through Trailfinders)
    Leg 2: PE > Cape Town (booked through Airbnb)
    Leg 3: Return from Cape Town > PE > Safari > Home (Booked through Trailfinders).

We're very lucky that my wife's best mate is currently in SA for Christmas with her saffa husband, visiting his family. His family own a couple of cattle farms just outside a town called Hankey, just outside PE. So have got 3-4 days with them and the family at the start of Leg 2, chilling and taking in the real South Africa. We're going up in the mountains on their quad bikes, seeing stuff off the beaten track. Then the wife's mate and her husband join us for the drive to Cape Town before they leave us there to head back on their own before flying home.

Think the wife has booked it so we go Stellenbosch on the way in and out of Cape Town. The Delaire Graff estate is on the list of places to visit. She wants me to buy her diamonds lol.

The places that Airbnb have thrown up look really good. Especially the penthouse apartment we've got in Cape Town, which overlooks the Ocean, the Marina and the big Stadium. By the looks of google maps, its pretty much at the bottom of Table Mountain but still quite high up.

Just want to get out there now, had enough of the dark mornings giving me the hump.
    Is that the Green Park area?

• Forget AI, come to Albufeira, plenty to do, best time of the year weatherwise, and a local bloke can sort your accommodation and show you where to go to eat that is reasonably priced and decent...

I would wholeheartedly back that as long as my 10% commission arrives promptly from @Algarveaddick
  • Forget AI, come to Albufeira, plenty to do, best time of the year weatherwise, and a local bloke can sort your accommodation and show you where to go to eat that is reasonably priced and decent...

I would wholeheartedly back that as long as my 10% commission arrives promptly from @Algarveaddick
    You can have 10% of my 10% mate... :smiley:
  • I must admit I don't get this all-inclusive lark. What's the point of going all that way and not getting out and about, trying the proper food of the country your in, drinking in the local bars, etc?

Cost.
    If you travel as a family all inclusive works out far far cheaper.
  • I must admit I don't get this all-inclusive lark. What's the point of going all that way and not getting out and about, trying the proper food of the country your in, drinking in the local bars, etc?

Cost.
    If you travel as a family all inclusive works out far far cheaper.
    The quality of AI here in Portugal is not great, but then people are paying about £7 a day extra for it, so what do they expect? The holidaymakers who get the best out of it use the hotel for breakfast, and maybe a bit of lunch, the kids can have as much pop and stuff as they like, and then they go out in the evenings - if you go to the right places it's really cheap anyway.

Just don't complain when your hotel is full of drunks...
  • decided on mexico, riviera maya area @ValleyGary has given me a blinding recomendation anyone else been here, just they all look class.
  • decided on mexico, riviera maya area @ValleyGary has given me a blinding recomendation anyone else been here, just they all look class.

I'm off to Excellence Playa Murjeres which isn't too far away mid March. Not cheap, but been saving and first proper holiday for about 8years. Was very highly recommended to me. Can't wait!