Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shoot the Refereee

edited January 2018 in General Charlton
I think Mr Ferguson Junior maybe in a bit of trouble, even though he's not far wrong with his analysis (except the shooting bit).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42677016

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/doncaster-rovers-darren-ferguson-shoot-1061472

Comments

• He shouldn't have said it and obviously didn't mean it literally. Whilst I think he is correct about the incompetence of many of the refs at this level, he does need to be punished. I do empathise though, and your emotions can so easily overtake you. That is why his punishment needs to be something that allows him to reflect and ensure an outburst like that isn't repeated.
  • Was shocked to hear the refs are Part Time at this level, might not be the Premier League yet its a professional level so the officials should be of a pro standard!!

The shooting comment is a bit too far though
  • Tbf he has a point (not to shoot the ref) but the standard of refereeing at this level is very poor, must be the same as league 2

Just makes me think of Mr Kettle
  • Was shocked to hear the refs are Part Time at this level, might not be the Premier League yet its a professional level so the officials should be of a pro standard!!

The shooting comment is a bit too far though

Ignoring the shooting comment and he is correct. The standard is poor and the referees aren't fit enough. A professional league should be refereed by professionals. Shame the comment said in the heat of the moment is what will get the headlines.
  • How much would you expect the full time refs to be paid in these three leagues?

That would be 36 refs for a league weekend plus say another 15 on rotation.

51 refs at X amount is quite a lot
  • edited January 2018
    MrOneLung said:

How much would you expect the full time refs to be paid in these three leagues?

Yes because the FA have a financial shortage!!

If there is an issue with being able to pay them then up the fines that get issued out to players and managers, that'll up the money available to pay for Referees
  • MrOneLung said:

The fourth official is also on the full list rather than just a linesman isn't (s)he? So you can double the 36.

The pay would not be all that either, so some existing refs would turn it down and stick with their day job.

The truth of the matter is that refs at this level make far, far fewer mistakes than the players that are being officiated.
  • MrOneLung said:

Yes because the FA have a financial shortage!!

If there is an issue with being able to pay them then up the fines that get issued out to players and managers, that'll up the money available to pay for Referees
    It's the EFL, not the FA that pays the refs. Each club in the championship makes a £50k contribution to officials' fees. I wonder what, say, Forest Green would make of being asked for £50k? Would Ferguson's Chairman be happy to write a cheque?
  • There certainly are a few chubby looking refs in our league
  • Sponsored links:

• Aren't all refs part time?

There's a Premier League ref who is also a head teacher at 3 different schools. Figure that one out.

• The saying, "he needs shooting", is an expression long used in English - originally referring to old horses who could no longer perform their tasks, at a time when horses were the prime method of transport.

Since then, it's been traditionally used to refer to anyone incompetent or who's let you down.
    It hasn't been regarded as an actual threat to kill someone.

• Completely out of order, having watched the highlights the officials deserve no more than a chibbing
  • Oggy Red said:

The saying, "he needs shooting", is an expression long used in English - originally referring to old horses who could no longer perform their tasks, at a time when horses were the prime method of transport.

Since then, it's been traditionally used to refer to anyone incompetent or who's let you down.

Totally correct and obviously said tongue in cheek, but you can bet your life those in officialdom (who are not known for their sense of humour and will display a sense of moral outrage) will pronounce judgement -not looking good for young Mr Ferguson!
  • Oggy Red said:

The saying, "he needs shooting", is an expression long used in English - originally referring to old horses who could no longer perform their tasks, at a time when horses were the prime method of transport.

Try telling that to Tony Keohane.
  • Maybe use some of the sky money etc for the premiere league, just a thought,
    very radical I know.
  • I have a theory where we have lost out with some poorer refs is that they want to prove they are not intimidated by the bigger club and don't give us anything at home. Of course we are no longer intimidating and if they were at Old Trafford or in front of the Kop that plan would go out of the window but I know that is how some refs think.
  • shooting is a bit drastic but we must sympathise with managers having to put up with poor decisions,look at the premier league this week.
    1)Blatant hand ball goal by Watford
    2)Blatant handball by Newcastle defender
    3)Blatant handball by Arsenal defender

This by supposed full time officials.
  • Think he got off lightly - not that I don't have a small degree of sympathy having seen some of the so-called referees this season.