Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eurovision 2018 - You Decide

think the song chosen, Storm by SuRie, is exactly the type of song that should win Eurovision and probably would if it was entered by any country other than the UK.

Its high time we won again and this year we have the best chance to do so for many a year.

Book 12th May in your diaries Eurovision fans.

Comments

• Who cares.....it’s a ridiculous stitch up!
  • edited February 2018

think the song chosen, Storm by SuRie, is exactly the type of song that should win Eurovision and probably would if it was entered by any country other than the UK.

Its high time we won again and this year we have the best chance to do so for many a year.

Book 12th May in your diaries Eurovision fans.

I make sure I always watch Eurovision, a really enjoyable night of TV. I usually get proper pissed and start shouting at the telly because no one votes for us.

The humor is terrible by the presenters and they make it really cringy and that’s why I love watching it.

World Cup & Eurovision double would be lovely.
  • Careful @LargeAddick

Last year when I got into Eurovision I risked banishment at the hands of the mods ;)
  • I’ve decided. Not to watch it.
  • For decades a group of friends have been having Eurovision parties and we've hosted on a number of occasions. Always good fun and each couple is expected to bring a dish from their favourite country.
  • ^^ sounds great fun, might suggest this to the missus !!
  • very big in ireland, according to the mrs, saw about 5 mins of it last night, what caught my eye was that roshelle who was juding - ding dong
  • edited February 2018

For decades a group of friends have been having Eurovision parties and we've hosted on a number of occasions. Always good fun and each couple is expected to bring a dish from their favourite country.

Best mate from university is Swedish and they love it over there. I went to a Eurovision party with him and it was a brilliant night.
  • edited February 2018
    Greenie said:

Ah, the annual night of music TV for us gay people.

Are us straight people invited too Greenie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Ah, the annual night of music TV for us gay people.

Are us straight people invited too Greenie?
    Yep, of course, we are an inclusive society.
  • The rest of Europe hates us, even more so since we voted to leave. We will get a minimum number of votes and finish nowhere near the top.
  • edited February 2018
    To me it sounds like an attempt to sound like those Swedish style songs that have done well recently!

I preferred Eurovision in the old days when the songs when the presentation wasn't so lavish, and it was all a bit cheesier. It's now a super high tech extravaganza.
  • It's a good song but I prefer Lucie Jones's effort from last year and although it did OK with the Juries (even getting 12 points from the Aussie jury) the voting public ignored it. I fear that will happen again going by a lot of the comments I have seen from Eurovision fans across Europe. Many of which are saying that we shouldn't be in Eurovision as we don't want to be in the EU anymore.

The two are not related at all as many non EU countries participate in Eurovision.

We always scored well and often finished in the top five until the turn of the century. Those days are long gone.
  • It's a good song but I prefer Lucie Jones's effort from last year and although it did OK with the Juries (even getting 12 points from the Aussie jury) the voting public ignored it. I fear that will happen again going by a lot of the comments I have seen from Eurovision fans across Europe. Many of which are saying that we shouldn't be in Eurovision as we don't want to be in the EU anymore.

The two are not related at all as many non EU countries participate in Eurovision.

We always scored well and often finished in the top five until the turn of the century. Those days are long gone.

It's been said that part of the problem is that we always send unknowns to the contest, rather than people that people have heard of. Many of the recent Eurovision winners have already had recent hits
  • The rest of Europe hates us, even more so since we voted to leave. We will get a minimum number of votes and finish nowhere near the top.

Didnt do badly last year though...
  • edited February 2018
    Nothing will ever beat Poland's entry in 2014. The British public voted it as song of the evening. Can't think why!

It's been said that part of the problem is that we always send unknowns to the contest, rather than people that people have heard of. Many of the recent Eurovision winners have already had recent hits
    We went through a stage of sending "big names" (I use that term loosely) and they didn't do well either. Blue came 10th, Englebert came last, Bonnie Tyler came 19th. Even Electro Velvet were known in some parts of Europe and they came 24th with just five points. It can be said that the songs were complete tosh but they were artists that were well known.

I don't know what the solution is. The voting public just don't want to pick up the phone for the UK anymore.

We went through a stage of sending "big names" (I use that term loosely) and they didn't do well either. Blue came 10th, Englebert came last, Bonnie Tyler came 19th. Even Electro Velvet were known in some parts of Europe and they came 24th with just five points. It can be said that the songs were complete tosh but they were artists that were well known.

I don't know what the solution is. The voting public just don't want to pick up the phone for the UK anymore.
    They weren't current chart acts though, a singer/band who'd had hits in Europe in recent years

A known act and a decent song. Surely it can't be that hard

They weren't current chart acts though, a singer/band who'd had hits in Europe in recent years

The problem is that the UK doesn't take Eurovison seriously, whereas the rest of Europe does. That's probably our downfall. All the time we poke fun at it (especially the way Terry Wogan did and now Graham Norton) we will never get serious chart acts to take part.
  • Sponsored links:

• i think i could be wrong and stand to be corrected, arent we automatically in it every year where as other nations have to qualify?
  • edited February 2018
    Yes.
    We go straight into the final as one of five countries that pay the most into the EBU. Personally, I think we are disadvantaged by that as all but one winner recently has come from the semi final heat. If I recall correctly, oly Germany have won as one of the big five since the semi finals were introduced in 2000.
  • Was a catchy more than decent Euro song IMO. Might have been better if the writer sold it to a country that had a chance of winning.

The problem is that the UK doesn't take Eurovison seriously,whereas the rest of Europe does. That's probably our downfall. All the time we poke fun at it (especially the way Terry Wogan did and now Graham Norton) we will never get serious chart acts to take part.
    And yet every year we pay money not to have to prequalify!

The problem is that the UK doesn't take Eurovison seriously,whereas the rest of Europe does. That's probably our downfall. All the time we poke fun at it (especially the way Terry Wogan did and now Graham Norton) we will never get serious chart acts to take part.
    And yet every year we pay money not to have to prequalify!
    nothing new there we've been paying money to be part of something european for a long time :wink:
  • shirty5 said:

Nothing will ever beat Poland's entry in 2014. The British public voted it as song of the evening. Can't think why!

Uncontrolled immigration.