Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dell Inspiron 1501

edited September 2008 in Troubleshooting
Ok Techies....here's the thing as i know you are all quite smart now! With my dell inspiron 1501 I cannot download stuff as I had a virus deleted loads of crap and hey presto now I cannot click buttons on anything. like on shockwave when i try to download it I can't press the finalisation button! Also disc's are recognised but won't read?

Finally system restore doesn't work.

So should i get my laptop taken to the computer doctor or is there an easier way to make it work again?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Have you tried starting it in safe mode? Make any difference?

If not I'd format the thing and reinstall windows. You could take it to the computer shop but it's easy enough to do yourself. Bare in mind you'll lose everything that's on there.
  • I've asked a guy I know who works on our IT helpdesk and he recommends you turn it off wait 10 seconds, then turn it on again.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I've asked a guy I know who works on our IT helpdesk and he recommends you turn it off wait 10 seconds, then turn it on again.

Ha ha ha Great one.
  • I'd recommend taking the hard-disk out and attaching it to another computer to rid it of viruses. Then back-up any important data you have to CDs/DVDs using the second PC and then re-install from scratch assuming you have your original install/restore discs. Then copy the backed up data back to the fresh (and now quicker) system.

The anti-virus software must be up to date on the second PC before doing this.

All mouse related clicks are replicable using the keyboard BTW - using the Ctrl or Alt keys plus a letter (eg Alt + F brings up the file menu for an application) or using the Tab key to move the highlighted part around a window or the cursor keys to select different options in a drop down list, etc.