Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's nice to *finally* have a Manager!

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
It looks like we finally have a MANAGER (Not bloody 'chief coach' cobblers) at last.

Was interesting to see the players come over to get instructions off Pardoo rather than hide away.

And if anyone sees an ugly bloke in a Joma tracksuit running up and down and across the A1 near Newcastle, looking a bit lost, can somebody call him a cab please......

Only at Charlton.

Comments

• Two games in and it feels like he belongs already. I never quite got round to Dowie and although I was keen to give Les a go, he never really got me going either.

The start of long relationship maybe?
  • If we go down it will be Murray's fault if we stay up it will be down to super alan pardew. if we do go down alan will get us up no probs if we keep Carson, D Bent, Ambrose.
  • edited December 2006
    "if we do go down alan will get us up no probs if we keep Carson, D Bent, Ambrose. "

Darren Bent is an absolute top bloke, so don't get me wrong, but no way is he playing inthe Championship next year.
  • well if Murray sells him he should be shot at least umph lompah jordan kept Andy Johnson at Palarse for the year and gave it ago.
  • edited December 2006
    thats more cos ppl weren't gonna pay the 10 mill price for him!!!!!!!

but if we go down bents gotta really go, to good for championship, but seems b gettin on really well with pards and he's not so much bout money
  • edited December 2006
    Let's be fair- If we go down- Darren Bent goes, for as much money as possible, with my, and i hope all the other true Charlton fans, blessings. We signed Bent as a Championship player and us a premiership side. Unlike Johnson he had a chance to go in the summer and stayed ( he wanted to stay rather than was kept!), allbeit on increased wages.

And sorry- Comparing Murray to Jordan is not a way to be taken seriously.
  • Yes, it feels like Pards has been there forever already, he just feels "right" for the job somehow.
    I said at the outset that we needed to bring in a Charlton person to replace Curbs and although Pardew is not exactly Steve Gritt or Mark Kinsella he knows the club and understands what it is about and how Curbs ran the place.
    Dowie had no idea about us and it was a massive culture shock for both parties that was only ever going to end in tears.
    Now lets get rid of that Aussie twat Harbin, the last remnant of the Dowie regime I believe, and we can pretend that the whole thing was nothing more than a bad dream.
  • edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]If we go down it will be Murray's fault if we stay up it will be down to super alan pardew. if we do go down alan will get us up no probs if we keep Carson, D Bent, Ambrose.

So, given that Pards was not available until less than 3 weeks ago, what should Murray have done differently?
  • So different from that Curbs piccy eh?
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]And if anyone sees an ugly bloke in a Joma tracksuit running up and down and across the A1 near Newcastle, looking a bit lost, can somebody call him a cab please......

I thought he would rather run up and down the A34 near Newcastle. Newcastle-under-Lyme that is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2006
    posted by peanuts mollay 'So, given that Pards was not available until less than 3 weeks ago, what should Murray have done differently? '

answer errr an experienced premiership manager not Les Reed and even after curbishley murray and the board made these appointments no one else. Pardew thank god was put on the boards laps thank god !!!

D Bent should be kept for a season if we go down unless its 20 million +. Lets try and keep him and dont do our usual.

Having a go at Jordan for everything he does is a stupid attitude. i.e he doesnt like how the mega top clubs Arseanl and espeically Dein of Arsenal are taking the pee out the rest of the preimer league and football league clubs.
  • I wanted Les to be a success, both for the club and for him, but it didn't work. There were flashes of what he was trying to do v Everton and Blackburn but Wycombe was pitiful and it was clear the players couldn't or wouldn't play for him.

Pardew seems to be getting the effort from the team even if, as he said himself after Fulham, the football wasn't that good. Pardew seems to have restored confidence on and off the pitch and with time and new players maybe he can improve the football. At least when we go behind we know we can come back to win.

All the home game bar Chelsea seem winnable. Now the big test will be finding a win away somewhere.
  • If we go down and I now see a glimmer of light for the first time in 6 weeks or so, I think Bent will go and should go with our blessing. A few more would go too, but in Pardew we'll have a manager that would go for the likes of Eastwood, Nugent, Forsell etc to get us the goals we'd need to come back up. If we kept most of the defence and midfield we have, we'd be very strong in the Championship, but hope this can still be avoided. Arsenal have an enourmous pile of injuries, so I am hopeful we'll scrap for a point. Tuesday at work wil be tough, I'm just itching to see the next game! How a week can change so much.
  • edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]posted by peanuts mollay 'So, given that Pards was not available until less than 3 weeks ago, what should Murray have done differently? '

answer errr an experienced premiership manager not Les Reed and even after curbishley murray and the board made these appointments no one else. Pardew thank god was put on the boards laps thank god !!!
    [cite]

And who should they have appointed in the summer....Peter Taylor? Claudio Ranieri? Mick McCarthy? George Graham? Roy Evans? George Burley? Glen Hoddle? Name one that would have been sure fire winner?
    And, given the story in the Sun yesterday (which makes it clear why Dowie had to go immediately), who should they have appointed that was available then? Most would have given the job to Reed at least as caretaker anyway.
    By the way genius, it was Murray that had the balls to terminate Les and appoint Pardew. Nothing to do with God. While you're busy slagging him off, you might remember that the average season ticket holder pays less to watch Charlton than any other team in the PL. I guess that's Murray's fault aswell though eh?
  • lol youve answered your own question i would have ranieri, hoddle, graham, or George Burley (who i did suggest whoppi you may say) over Dowie and Reed any day of the week. Davis probarbly turnt down the role beacuse he couldnt bring in his own backroom staff he had to had reed and robson dictated by the board. Dowie was picked to upset Jordan which is pettie why would you pick Dowie when he wants to live up north and quite a gamble a 35 million quid a year gamble. It was a wasted three months off the season which i hope that Pardew can turn around.

What has season ticket prices got to do with the argument i could quite easily fireback Bolton Wanderers who have the same ticket prices crowds etc...
  • Easy with hindsight to claim that any of those would have done a better job even than Dowie, aside from the fact that there are question marks that anyone with a brain would have against each of them. So Murray made a mistake, after 10 years+ as Chairman.
    The point about season ticket prices is that here is a Chairman that looks after the Club's fans better than any other PL Chairman. The least he deserves is not to be slagged off by numbnuts.
  • Peanuts, everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because you disagree with someone elses opinion that is not a reason to call them a bad name. We all agree that Richard Murray has been brilliant for the club over the last 15 years. However, the board has made a string of bad decisions since the summer which are likely to lead to us being relegated this year. Those decisions include: the new football "structure" which frightened away our preferred managerial candidate, appointing Iain Dowie in the first place, allowing Dowie to spend £11m of cash that we didn't really have on generally poor players, sacking Dowie when it was clear that he had the players' backing and performances were starting to improve, appointing Les Reed who was clearly not suitable for the job, giving Reed a new 3 year contract straight after a 5-1 mauling at Spurs and then delaying the removal of Reed for far too long.

Don't get me wrong. As a club we owe everything that we have to Richard Murray and I am confident that he will lead us back to a strong position. However, you cannot deny that a string of mistakes have been made this season and we are going to pay a heavy price for them.
  • It's finally good to have a manager at Charlton who shows a bit of passion. Good to see Pardoo celebrate with the crowd when Bobby Dazzler scored the winner.
  • edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]However, the board has made a string of bad decisions since the summer which are likely to lead to us being relegated this year. Those decisions include: the new football "structure" which frightened away our preferred managerial candidate,

Speculation. We don't know why Davies turned the job down and it MAY have been the structure but if so why did he come for the interviews and get as far as being offered the job. If it was a deal breaker why would it have got that far

appointing Iain Dowie in the first place,

Agree on that one but hindsight is always 20/20

allowing Dowie to spend £11m of cash that we didn't really have on generally poor players,

If the players are poor is down to the man who chose them. That was Mr Dowie not Murray or Varney or Mills. And if he's given no money then the board are being tight and not giving him a chance.

sacking Dowie when it was clear that he had the players' backing and performances were starting to improve,

We were bottom, repeat bottom, and had just lost at Wigan but regardless as has been said all along he was sacked for other reasons not performances

appointing Les Reed who was clearly not suitable for the job, giving Reed a new 3 year contract straight after a 5-1 mauling at Spurs and then delaying the removal of Reed for far too long.

And if we'd sacked Reed the day Pardew had been sacked people would have said "another panic decision". Reed didn't work, sad but true, and the club moved to get someone else in. Who knows if Pardew would or could have come earlier. In hindsight the permanant contract was an error IMHO but the 3.5 years is irrelevant. Contracts have termination clauses and Reed already had a contract with the club in any case. If he had been appointed caretaker then maybe it would have been different.

Don't get me wrong. As a club we owe everything that we have to Richard Murray and I am confident that he will lead us back to a strong position. However, you cannot deny that a string of mistakes have been made this season and we are going to pay a heavy price for them.

Some mistakes I agree but not all the ones you suggest. But that's just my opinion. You and Richard Murray may well disagree.
  • edited December 2006
    You could easily put valid cases forward for both sides of the coin, but i do not think that Red Pete is being too outrageous in the points he has raised. As others have said, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but its normally only used for looking back and picking out errors.

At the time of Dowie's appointment, no one was over thrilled, yet very few were ultra disappointed, we appreciated that there appeared to be little interest from any manager that would excite. Could we tell in the summer if Dowie was going to be worse than Davies, Taylor or Hoddle ?

If i had three constructive criticisms of Richard Murray they would be:

1. Despite Dowie signing up to the idea, he was wrong to choose an individual to 'fit into a structure' when it is obvious that Dowie is in a similar way to Curbishley, very much his own man that likes to lead from the front, dominate everything and have things exactly the way he likes it. There was always going to be a collision course in that respect.

2. After playing a very backseat role out of the media eye for 15 years, he become a lot more public during the summer with the leaving of Curbs and the appointment of Dowie, whether it was intentional or co-incidence, it appeared he was trying to get a bit more media exposure than he previously had. Yet when Dowie was dismissed, it was Varney who had to deal with all the flak. It was a big shock to sack when we did, and Murray should of been the one fronting it all.

3. Regardless of anything that has happened away from the club, he was very wrong to publicly pick out one individual (Diawara) in his rant after the Wycombe game. Yes he was as pissed off as the rest of us, but the Chairman really should be a little bit above that, and little things like that do absolutely nothing to lift morale.

The most important point worth remembering is that if the events of the past six months had happened at any other club, the chairman and board would of been hounded out by supporters. The fact that so little pressure has been put that way is testament to the good work they have done in the past (effectively buying credit with supporters), and the supporters in general having a good working knowledge of the club and not having unrealistic expectations. Despite all this, Richard Murray is very important to our club and most supporters appreciate that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Murray has made two mistakes IMHO. The first was letting Dowie spend all that money on players without having them checked out in the same way that Curbs supposedly did. We used to hear all about how we used to go into their background before signing them. We now have a general manager to do this work that Curbs did. So what happened in the summer?

The other mistake was giving Les Reed a permanent contract. I'm sure this was meant to be a public display of confidence in him, as was Varney's comments about not changing the manager again this season - only to change the manager two weeks later! There was no pressure to give Les a permanent contract. His subsequent sacking made the club look foolish.

I'm sure the Board will now continue to give Pardew the backing he needs, regardless of how we do this season. It could be a tough time though and I wouldn't rule out Pardew walking away if he gets a better offer.
  • Red Pete,
    of course everyone's entitled to their opinion. To say that "If we go down it will be Murray's fault" is simplistic and insulting to someone who has made decisions (right ir wrong) in the best interests of the Club not of his own ego. No one will suffer more than Murray in terms of pride and, as it happens, pocket if we do go down. If it does happen, will no-one else be to blame? Like some of the players?
    I didn't think I was using particularly bad words in replying to Pete T but I didn't particularly like the sarcky tone of his replies to me. Nonetheless, apologies for calling him a numbnut.
    AFKA,
    I don't think Murray or the rest of the board are beyond criticism or have made no mistakes and I certainly agree that he should have chosen his words much more carefully re Diawarra (btw Diawarra seemed to be enjoying himself with JFH on the bench while we were losing at the Boro so I wouldn't be too concerned about his sensitivities). Bear in mind that Murray and others took some serious and unreasonable abuse outside the Main Stand after the Wycombe debacle - an explanation if not an excuse.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    AFKA,
    I don't think Murray or the rest of the board are beyond criticism or have made no mistakes and I certainly agree that he should have chosen his words much more carefully re Diawarra (btw Diawarra seemed to be enjoying himself with JFH on the bench while we were losing at the Boro so I wouldn't be too concerned about his sensitivities). Bear in mind that Murray and others took some serious and unreasonable abuse outside the Main Stand after the Wycombe debacle - an explanation if not an excuse.

Fair enough, but something had to give. If the only serious abuse the board have taken this season is by a handful of spotty teens after the Wycombe game, then i honestly don't think they can complain to much. I think the support in general has been superb this year, the supporters have given fantastic backing considering the situation we have been in. The only time it has turned was during the Reed period when it was clear the players did not want to be here, and it was those players that rightly took the lion share of the flack.

We've been spoilt with a fantastic trouble-free run for over a decade, the law of averages would tell you we were bound to slip up at some stage. Hopefully it may work out to be a bit of a reality check for some people.

In the space of a week, we appear to be a football club again, and hopefully the unity between board, manager, players and supporters, that has always been a strong point of our club, may start to rebuild quickly because it was a horrible feeling when it wasn't there for a few months.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

The most important point worth remembering is that if the events of the past six months had happened at any other club, the chairman and board would of been hounded out by supporters. The fact that so little pressure has been put that way is testament to the good work they have done in the past (effectively buying credit with supporters), and the supporters in general having a good working knowledge of the club and not having unrealistic expectations.

2.5 years on and it's not getting any better;-(
  • If you check my post after I predicted Jordan and Pete woud split

:o(
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

The most important point worth remembering is that if the events of the past six months had happened at any other club, the chairman and board would of been hounded out by supporters. The fact that so little pressure has been put that way is testament to the good work they have done in the past (effectively buying credit with supporters), and the supporters in general having a good working knowledge of the club and not having unrealistic expectations.[/quote]

2.5 years on and it's not getting any better;-([/quote]

Shows how soft and/or naive we are as fans imo. They've got off very lightly