Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone else confused?

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Reg tried to explain the managerial changes in his programme column today. Now I accept I might be a bit thick but the following quotes appear contradictory to me:

....."introduce a new structure that allowed the coaching team to concentrate exclusively on coaching players, both as a team, as units and individually. At the same time responsibility for the recruitment of players and scouting and all other administrative issues at the training ground became the responsibility of the general manager (football) role......"

That seems clearcut enough The coaches coach and Mills gets the players. At least that's how I read it.

Later though Reg wrote: ...."Contrary to some media reports, Les and Mark had played absolutely no role whatsoever in the selection of players signed by Iain....."

Who chose the players then Dowie or Mills? One minute it appears to be Mills and later Dowie!

My real concern though is whether Pardew or Mills will choose any new signings.

Henry can you clarify things for a confused old duffer?

Comments

• Options
    "At the same time responsibility for the recruitment of players and scouting and all other administrative issues at the training ground became the responsibility of the general manager (football) role......"

It just says that the recruitment (not choosing) of the players is down to the general manager (Mills).

That'll be to approach the selling club (i.e - Fax Hibs about Brown and Thomson), negotiate if necessary, arrange a meeting if accepted, discuss money (an ex-agent should be shit hot at that..), arrange medical, get it signed etc.. This lets the coach "coach" instead of wasting hours/days talking to the selling club, player and his people.

The head coach/manager picks the players he wants - Mills does the rest (I'm sure Murray still helps). There is no way that Mills picks which players.
  • Options
    I'll just add that if I'm wrong and Mills does somehow have a say on who should be bought (on footballing reasons, not financial), I'd be amazed and hugely pissed off. In that order.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]"At the same time responsibility for the recruitment of players and scouting and all other administrative issues at the training ground became the responsibility of the general manager (football) role......"

It just says that the recruitment (not choosing) of the players is down to the general manager (Mills).

That'll be to approach the selling club (i.e - Fax Hibs about Brown and Thomson), negotiate if necessary, arrange a meeting if accepted, discuss money (an ex-agent should be shit hot at that..), arrange medical, get it signed etc.. This lets the coach "coach" instead of wasting hours/days talking to the selling club, player and his people.

The head coach/manager picks the players he wants - Mills does the rest (I'm sure Murray still helps). There is no way that Mills picks which players.

Spot on Paddy.